Poseidon's Fury - Since it's been changed...

.:Adam:.

Original Poster
Hey,

I was reading on another forum a few days ago that at the start of the year (if not before) Poseidon's Fury was changed. Can anyone please tell me exactly whats changed and how its diffrent.

Thanks alot,
Adam.

dxwwf3

Well the show changed a few years ago from its original 1999 version. Personally, I think it was a big step backward. The current show feels very cheesy to me, but if you like shows like Hercules or Xena, it might be right up your alley.

nighttimewisher

As far as I can remember (basically) they made Posideon the good guy, took out Zeus(i dont think there is a guide anymore) and added in an evil guy.

I agree that is nowhere near as good

mousermerf

Account Suspended
From what I know...

The show used to start with everyone entering a room with The Keeper, who was an old man in robes who climbed down from a case into the room. He told you the dramatic tale of Poseidon and Zeus and what not, as the room was illuminated to showcase the painting of the story. You then entered the spinning-lock room. Somehow the lock was opened, and off you went. I think Poseidon tried to kill you all, and The Keeper saved everyone. Off to the stunt-stage area.

Turns out the Keeper is Zeus, and he battles Poseidon, and then big bang boom flash and you're back in the lock room, and you exit bewildered and appreciating old guys in robes.

New version, you have an obnoxious archaologist type and there's a scientific exploration going awry in the area. Scary stuff is happening and folks are dissapearing. You enter the first room and use a black light to reveal an incantation that opens the door into the Lock room.

You enter the lock room, and again, someone wants us dead. The lock is broken by taking Poseidon's fork thingy and talking to some diva mermaid type gal. Lasers make the lock work, and through the tunnel you go.

You guide is all freaked out, wanders into the stunt stage, and then Darkenon tries to kill him with all kinds of fire FX. Poseidons decides to kick butt, and you watch that all happen before exitting.

In the 1999 version you seemingly transported back into a room you were in previously which was an amazing effect! The old show was also animated and featured the voice of Jeremy Irons. The new one is Live action filmed and SUCKS!

THe main feature of that attraction to me was the room transportation which they seem to have completly forgotten about,

The pyro and water effects also seemed much better in the older version...

BRING IT BACK PLEASE UNIVERSAL. Taylor the tour guide sucks, old man Zeus is a legend

kal1484

Julius & Boobah said:
In the 1999 version you seemingly transported back into a room you were in previously which was an amazing effect!

Okay, so I'm NOT going nuts?! I thought they did this too! How did they do that anyways?

.:Adam:.

Original Poster
The walls of the small room go up VERY fast to open the room out and give the effect of transportation.

So this no longer happends?

meryll83

I've only been on once in Nov 05 and heres what i remember.

in a room which looks like a dig site, guy roles up who was just meant to lead you there, some professor guy who was supposed to be leading the whole thing hasnt turned up, so your guy is no in charge.

scary noises, room goes dark, uv message around the walls.

go into a room where i think there's a simple the trident on the wall, cant remember much else other than this open to a walkway through water spiralling all around you (i was petrified it was gonna come crashing down on me!)

last room is like a stood up theatre.

poseidon gets his trident. poseidon and some evil dude are animations but there's real water (and fire i think.) some sort of fight showdown and all is well.

sorry i can't remember much of the storyline ( iwas actually kinda scared!)

JROK

The current version still has the room transportation at the end... the videos are played on water screens... there's still pyro and fire... it's not too much different really...

Yeah it's not hugely different but the subtle changes make a big difference on impact IMO. The transportation part isn't nearly as obvious and half the effects don't work properly (e.g the lazers unlocking the door very rarely align anymore) however I would put this down to age of the attraction and not due to any story changes, obviously!

dxwwf3

JROK said:
The current version still has the room transportation at the end... the videos are played on water screens... there's still pyro and fire... it's not too much different really...

The storyline is very different though and the current villain is very corny, IMO.

Legacy

The biggest change between the original and the Darkenon version was that in the original, when you went into the final show room, it was the large "cove" area. The water vortex actually transported you underwater. Zeus, while Atlantis was being destroyed, would transport you back into the original room on land (the stone lock room).

Now, the water vortex sends you into an identical room that disappear before you see Atlantis. The original was MUCH more effective, as it was completely unexpected. If they modified the story so that you walked into the "cove" again like in the original, I could tolerate the Darkenon version a bit more.

One of the most pointless changes in themepark history.

dxwwf3

Legacy said:
One of the most pointless changes in themepark history.

Yes it is definitely up there. I didn't think the original was the best thing in the world, but I did enjoy it and I wish they hadn't made the change. However, I don't mind seeing the current show once every few years just so I can admire the outside building and the queue area. It might be the single most underrated queue in the parks today. Of course, it is easy to forget about it after you see the show.

Legacy

dxwwf3 said:
Yes it is definitely up there. I didn't think the original was the best thing in the world, but I did enjoy it and I wish they hadn't made the change. However, I don't mind seeing the current show once every few years just so I can admire the outside building and the queue area. It might be the single most underrated queue in the parks today. Of course, it is easy to forget about it after you see the show.
It's one of those changes where you really have to look for the justification. Unless there was a copy-right issue, I really cannot see the point. At least the original attraction had a good deal of "Wow" to it. Not so much with this one. The name doesn't even make sense anymore.

dxwwf3

I think maybe guest reaction to the original show wasn't as good as they had hoped. And they wanted a quick fix to try and make the show more campy and appeal to the Hercules and Xena set. I, however, think it was a big mistake.

Let's start a petition to bring the old one back... for what it's worth! LOL

It's a shame it's gone because I thought it was a genuinly great attraction, now I think it's mediocre at best.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom