1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Port Orleans, Riverside Vs. French Quarter

Discussion in 'WDW Resort Hotels' started by LIMA TIME, Aug 28, 2017.

1. LIMA TIME

LIMA TIME Well-Known Member

Happy Monday, I hope everyone is making it through alright.

We are heading back to Disney this coming April, and we initially book to stay at the Poly, but we are looking to stay somewhere different. I know nothing about Port Orleans, but i hear it cool.

First off, what is the difference between the Riverside and French Quarter. I looks like the same resort on the map, but the website shows it as two different resorts? is it just difference themes? Is one better than the other? If I make the wrong choice will I regret it forever? (just kidding, I'd sleep in the car if I had too.)

Second what other feedback do you wonderful people have on Port Orleans (either side)?

Thank you all in advance.

2. LSUxStitch

LSUxStitch Well-Known Member

I've stayed at both and personally enjoy French Quarter more. It's a smaller resort, there's no building that feels too far to walk to main lobby or restaurant. Bus is usually first to pick up and first to drop off, if being shared with Riverside. During busy months they each get their own. Only downside of sharing is you'll have to go through the 4 stops at Riverside which can add some travel time, but at least you'll have a seat.

I've never used it, but FQ pool and splash zone is pretty cool looking as well.

Tomi-Rocket, KLeigh and durangojim like this.
  3. LIMA TIME

LIMA TIME Well-Known Member Original Poster

thank you for the info. the wife and kids all get car sick, so we never take the buses. That will not be an issue.

4. LSUxStitch

LSUxStitch Well-Known Member

Then yeah, that won't weigh into your decision. Only thing is closeness of Lobby/Restaurant to the hotel rooms. We stayed in Parterre building, to the right of the lobby at Riverside and it was too much of a walk to get refills on the mug, so they went mostly unused haha.

Riverside definitely has the feel of not being in a hotel though, the grounds are very beautiful.

LIMA TIME likes this.
  5. Herdman

Herdman Well-Known Member

We have also stayed at both and love both. You can't go wrong with either choice. Your main decision lies in how much walking you want to do to the food court and other amenities. That is substantially less at the French Quarter.

One other thing to keep in mind. You'll be about a 15 minute walk to the other resort so you are welcome to use the amenities of the other if you choose to.

LIMA TIME likes this.
  6. Dafid Duck

Dafid Duck Well-Known Member

Not only are French Quarter and Riverside different between themselves, Riverside is actually divided into two themes. There are the mansions and the bayou. The theming is excellent with the southern plantation mansion rooms and the upriver bayou style rooms. Furthermore, the princess suites are also located in the Riverside mansions.

That being said, we prefer the French Quarter for its theming, proximity to the main building and its quietness.

7. mrscjohns

mrscjohns New Member

These are our two favorite resorts! We've stayed at both and prefer Riverside. French Quarter is small and convenient, but my husband and I love walking through Riverside. The theme there is so immersive. We prefer the Alligator Bayou, however the mansions are stunning as well. Riverside also has smaller pools throughout the resort, where FQ only has one. Make sure, regardless of whichever resort you stay at, you stop at FQ and get some beignets :)

LIMA TIME likes this.
  8. yaksplat

yaksplat Well-Known Member

We just finished a stay at Riverside. It was beautiful, but just too big. Like another poster said, our mugs went unused since the food court was just too far away to just go grab a drink. I'm not a fan of walking a quarter mile to get to the lobby/ food court. However, if we were in a closer building, that would have changed things. Given the choice, we'd go back to the Polynesian any day over Riverside.

LIMA TIME likes this.
  9. dreamfinder

dreamfinder Well-Known Member

They used to be two separate resorts, Port Orleans and Dixie Landings. Years back they "merged" them into a single resort, and changed Port Orleans to French Quarter and Dixie Landings to Riverside. They still have their own check in desks and services, but are now one resort. FQ is much smaller and more intimate, with only one bus stop. RS is larger, and has multiple bus stops. If you are going to eat at the resort, FQ's food court is near the buses, so you can grab food on your way to/from the parks, but has no TS location, while RS has both CS and TS, but you need to go back to the main building, which may be a hike depending on your room. I think RS has some of the only moderate rooms that legitimately sleep 5.

LIMA TIME likes this.
  10. JIMINYCR

JIMINYCR Well-Known Member

We prefer POFQ because of it being smaller, quieter and we find it better suited for us. The food court however doesnt have as extensive a food menu as PORS so we sometimes walk the pathway for a different meal. The evening entertainment at PORS is worth an evening stroll. There is a site you can access that has lots of information about both resorts and great photos as well, to help you make your decision. www.portorleans.org

LIMA TIME likes this.
  11. BryanM

BryanM New Member

My wife and I stayed at Riverside last Fall. We found it to be absolutely beautiful and incredibly peaceful filled with lush green trees and spanish moss. We ended up getting a room with a pool view on the first floor. We had a brief walk to the restaurant, main pool, and the hotel store (which we spent way too much money in). Each morning we ended up taking a nice run down to the French Quarter, so it was certainly the best of both worlds. I don't think you could go wrong in either decision, but we certainly loved Riverside.

LIMA TIME likes this.
  12. Frankie Nova

Frankie Nova New Member

Riverside for the first time for me 5/12/2018 excited
    Magnolia Bend.
    2 times at CBR and looking forward to our 20th wedding anniversary at a new resort and kid less :)

BryanM and LAKid53 like this.
  13. LIMA TIME

LIMA TIME Well-Known Member Original Poster

Congrats on 20 wonderful years. Here is to many more.

14. TheMan&TheMouse

TheMan&TheMouse New Member

We have only stayed at the French Quarter but visited Riverside a few times during that trip. I preferred the feel of the FQ. Quieter and more laid back. The resort is small and easy to navigate without feeling confined. If you take a night to go to River Roost and see Yehaa Bob, the walk back to the FQ is a pleasant and quiet way to end the evening!

15. Frankie Nova

Frankie Nova New Member

to be quite honest the only reason we didn't stay at the FQ is my wife does not like the décor and I myself am not particularly fond of it. Not feeling the Mardi Gras theme
    upload_2017-9-3_8-18-5.png

freesvoice likes this.
  16. riogirl

riogirl Active Member

I have always wanted to stay at Port Orleans, preferably the Mansions. I have always stayed at Deluxe but taking a long weekend in Feb and thought this was the time to try outthis resort! I am super excited and would love any tips and feedback!

Pluto89 likes this.
  17. Pluto89

Pluto89 Member

They have recently remodeled the dining hall to be less over the top in your face and more streamline and open feeling. Here is a picture not mine but one I found.

Attached Files:

freesvoice likes this.
  18. Pluto89

Pluto89 Member

My first time to Port Orleans will be this year in November super excited check in 10 days away!!:) I will have to post some feedback.

19. Frankie Nova

Frankie Nova New Member

cool I am still looking fwd to riverside seems to be a mix of some preferring riverside some preferring FQ ... in my recent study it really seems 50/50

20. Frankie Nova

Frankie Nova New Member

10 days/ November am I missing something? LOL