Port Orleans Riverside...Tips, Room Requests, Buses, and Food

Philhar-Fanatic

Original Poster
Hello all, Were looking at booking POR for the first week in January. I'm looking for all information to get the biggest bang for our buck at the Riverside. Where to stay? Best bus advice? Fun resort and food tips. Thanks!

ctcdisneymama

We always stay at POR-Riverside. We request near the ground transportation. If you get a room near the West Depot you'll be the first to get picked up :) Also, the food court on property is great, but make sure to walk to French Quarter. It's themed beautifully as well and you can pick up those delicious beignets.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
We've always stayed at Riverside. Love Magnolia Bend. Managed to get a room in the big building (can't remember the name) with the fountain in front. Ask for a corner room - while not bigger, the extra window makes it appear so. Alligator Bayou has it's own unique charm...but no elevators - nothing like dragging your luggage up a flight of stairs.

Boatwrights is very good - we loved the shrimp and grits.

Would stay here just about every visit if I hadn't bought DVC. Lovely resort. With the bonus of the boat to Disney Springs.

Weather_Lady

The site the first poster linked-to is the one we used to plan our stay at PORS in 2012, and it's a great resource!

My advice would be, if you have a standard room reserved, request building 16 in Alligator Bayou (closest to the preferred buildings without actually being preferred). We did, and got building 17, which was close enough! We could have an easy walk to the main building to refill mugs or visit the gift shop or lounge, but we could also cut across a parking lot and easily reach the main bus depot. I don't know if this is still the case but back then, the main (South) bus depot was generally the first stop for incoming buses headed to the parks, so if you wanted to have the greatest chance of getting a seat (as opposed to standing, or even having to wait for another bus if the first filled up), that was where you wanted to get on the bus if you could.

(EDIT: A previous poster and the unofficial PORS website indicate that the West depot is now the first pick-up for park-bound buses, so if being first on the bus is a priority, you might want to request buildings closer to it - e.g., 24, 25, 26 or 34).

Also, if you have any inclination to visit Disney Springs, the boat launch from PORS is extremely convenient and enjoyable.

A transportation option: POFQ and PORS are connected via a walking path. If you heading back to the resort from a park and would rather walk for a few extra minutes than wait for a few extra minutes, keep an eye on the POFQ bus stop as well, if a bus gets there first, get on it. Once you get off at POFQ, you can take a scenic stroll (about 10 minutes at a leisurely pace) up the Sassagoula River path to PORS (coming in at the mansion end). I've also read about people walking down the path in the morning just to get some beignets at the POFQ food court!

Last edited:

JillC LI

I second everything @Weather_Lady said. We did all those things on our first stay at POR this past January (also in Building 17 of Alligator Bayou). And we were amongst those who did the walk to POFQ for beignets one morning! One thing I'd add is not to miss Yehaa Bob perform at the River Roost Lounge at POR!

riverside

Premium Member
POR is a beautiful resort and by far my favorite. It has so much charm!! The West Depot is the best place to get on the bus. Getting on at the South Depot is tough because many times the buses are pretty close to full by the time they get there. I know many don't like the fact that there are so many bus stops there but to me I enjoy the resort so much that I can overlook the bus situation.

The boat to Disney Springs is a plus. Riverside Mill is a great food court. Lots of great choices there. Muddy Rivers is a nice place to have a drink and relax.

I agree with what a few others said also--make sure you see Bob's show. You will not be disappointed. Just make sure you get there early. I've seen it fill up quite early many a time.

wannabeBelle

Make a night to head over to Port Orleans French Quarter on Saturday, Sunday, Monday or Tuesday ( usually the schedule) to catch Jason and Billy At Scat Cats for some great live music and a nice place to relax in the Main Lobby Building around the corner from the food court. Yee Ha Bob is also great at Port Orleans Riverside. Marie

3WaltFans

Staying at Riverside 1st time in December, I have a question about the boat pick up to Disney Springs, is it near the East Depot, near the lobby, any advice would be great. Thank you

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom