Port Orleans French Quarter

Andrew Appleby

Original Poster
Hi all!

Booked our 2018 summer trip on Saturday. Already REALLY excited but plenty of time to go till then.

We are taking our 2 children for the first time and wanted to stay somewhere nice that they will get loads out of. Myself and my wife went for our honeymoon in 2011 and stayed at POFQ so we have decided to go there again.

It was a toss up between that and AoA but with free dining on POFQ it meant it was £700 cheaper so thats were we've ended up.

So we have gone for a standard room but are considering an upgrade to a pool view. Do people thinks it's worth it? Having looked at the resort map I think we'd ideally want building 2, is there a way to request it?

CaptainAmerica

Pool view is terrible. You don't want pool view. It's very loud and the "view" you get doesn't do much at the moderate resorts, which all open to an exterior hallway regardless of view.

Most of Building 2 is Garden View. There's only one Standard View room in that building, which would be pretty much impossible to get.

I.Love.Mickey

We requested a preferred room in building 5 when we stayed there. We got one facing the garden, but was really close to the pool, resort food court and the one bus stop. It was a great spot.

CaptainAmerica

We requested a preferred room in building 5 when we stayed there. We got one facing the garden, but was really close to the pool, resort food court and the one bus stop. It was a great spot.
I'm not sure what they gave you, but Port Orleans French Quarter does not have a "Preferred" room category. Preferred rooms at Port Orleans are all in Riverside - Alligator Bayou.

CaptainAmerica

lol that was about to be my next question as I hadn't seen any preferred rooms at FQ.
That's correct. Preferred rooms are used at the larger resorts (Riverside, Coronado, and Caribbean Beach) to designate walking distance to resort amenities. Within the Preferred category, you can get a variety of different views. French Quarter is too small to warrant a preferred category.

Andrew Appleby

Original Poster
I wonder if I can request building 5 then? Having stayed once before back in '11 we had building 6 which was nice but we thought pool side may be better for the kids.

CaptainAmerica

I wonder if I can request building 5 then? Having stayed once before back in '11 we had building 6 which was nice but we thought pool side may be better for the kids.
There are no standard view rooms in Building 5. They're all either Pool View, River View, or Garden View.

POFQ's online check-in form allows you to request two of the following:
  • Corner room
  • Second floor
  • Near elevator
  • Ground floor
  • Near transportation

I.Love.Mickey

I'm not sure what they gave you, but Port Orleans French Quarter does not have a "Preferred" room category. Preferred rooms at Port Orleans are all in Riverside - Alligator Bayou.

Maybe they don't have Disney "preferred" rooms at French Quarter. We always call when we make our reservations so we can request certain areas and first floor. I guess since we always book "preferred" rooms when we stay at Disney, it's automatic to say when making our reservations. When we called to book the reservation, we said "we would like a preferred room close to the food court and bus stop on the first floor." And we got room 5145. It was a great location within the resort.

mf1972

we had a pool view room in building 2 a few years ago. top floor corner room. a very short walk to the lobby & food court. we were our most of the day, so we never noticed any noise from the pool.

LeighM

You can call the main reservation number and let the agent know which building you would prefer and they will make a note on your reservation. That's what the room assigners see as well as the options you choose in MDE. If a specific building is the most important, call and ask them to make a notation. It's not guaranteed but I've always gotten my building request by doing that.

CaptainAmerica

We have stayed there several times and never pay more for any "view". But I would not spend the extra money to be closer to the pool. The resort is very small and it is not a far walk to anywhere. Save the money.
If I'm not renting a car, I'd pay for garden view. I think it adds to the immersion if you don't even have to see the parking lot. It also puts you on the "better" side of the buildings, since you'd have to walk around to the outside to get to standard (parking lot) view.

As others have said, I would not pay for a view in a value or moderate. I feel that with exterior corridors I need to keep my blinds completely closed all the time.

I think you are making a great choice with POFQ in a standard, use the extra money for something else!

Jahona

As others have said, I would not pay for a view in a value or moderate. I feel that with exterior corridors I need to keep my blinds completely closed all the time.

I think you are making a great choice with POFQ in a standard, use the extra money for something else!

Problem I have with the "view" categories in general is it seems like the amount of standard rooms at resorts is small compared to the up charge options. POFQ is primarily "garden" view in most of their buildings. While last I checked "Garden" was only a few dollars more some of the other resorts can increase ten fold.

jaklgreen

If I'm not renting a car, I'd pay for garden view. I think it adds to the immersion if you don't even have to see the parking lot. It also puts you on the "better" side of the buildings, since you'd have to walk around to the outside to get to standard (parking lot) view.

I think that the resort is landscaped enough to where even a parking lot view is a nice view. They have trees and shrubs in between the walkways and the parking lots. Plus how much time do you spend just sitting there looking out of your window. We never do. I can understand paying for a better view if you have a balcony and are planning on spending time out there, but at the moderates you don't sit outside your front door.

jaklgreen

Problem I have with the "view" categories in general is it seems like the amount of standard rooms at resorts is small compared to the up charge options. POFQ is primarily "garden" view in most of their buildings. While last I checked "Garden" was only a few dollars more some of the other resorts can increase ten fold.

We have stayed at POFQ probably a dozen times. Pretty much all of their rooms(even in the standard category) have what I would consider garden views. The resort is beautifully landscaped. We never pay more a specific view and have had some pretty great room locations assigned to us. Not once did we think that the "view" was bad.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom