Port or Starboard?

englanddg

One Little Spark...
The only reason I could think of would be views...so basing it off my ONE cruise (others will chime in)...

We were Port Aft corner on the Fantasy. Our stops were:

Grand Cayman (Port and Aft would have had the better view, as they were facing the island at anchor, though it's nominal)

Costa Maya (Port had the better view, due to how they pulled into the dock aft first, facing the land)

Cozumel (Port had the better view, facing the city)

Castaway Cay (Aft had the ONLY view :p)

I'd imagine docking procedures for THESE ports of call are probably fairly consistent...but I really can't tell you. For our cruise, Port Aft was a fantastic choice.

Last edited:

EOD K9

We stayed in the same state room on our last two Dream cruises. We stayed on the starboard side. We had good views at Nassau and had THE view for Castaway Cay.

MaryJaneP

Have stayed both. Starboard has better view of Castaway Cay. Otherwise indistinquishable for us, we enjoyed both sides equally.

sweetpee_1993

Starboard for the better view on Castaway Cay. Port typically faces the pier & undeveloped area. Starboard typically faces all the developed guest areas so there's always stuff to see going on. Fore, mid, or aft aren't as important. Aft feels a bit closer but the entire starboard side is excellent.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Starboard for the better view on Castaway Cay. Port typically faces the pier & undeveloped area. Starboard typically faces all the developed guest areas so there's always stuff to see going on. Fore, mid, or aft aren't as important. Aft feels a bit closer but the entire starboard side is excellent.
Must have been because I was Aft Port...because I had a wonderful view, and had to strain to see the side of the island you are talking about (not that I'm questioning what anyone said about CC, that's why I said...based on my ONE cruise!)

But, I did get a great view of CC all day, as...we didn't get off the ship!

With it backing in like that, I just assumed the aft or aft starboard had the best views there...

mrerk

Premium Member
Original Poster
So they typically pull into the dock at CC? It seems I have seen some pics of the ship backed in, but maybe I am misreading the pic.

sweetpee_1993

Must have been because I was Aft Port...because I had a wonderful view, and had to strain to see the side of the island you are talking about (not that I'm questioning what anyone said about CC, that's why I said...based on my ONE cruise!)

But, I did get a great view of CC all day, as...we didn't get off the ship!

With it backing in like that, I just assumed the aft or aft starboard had the best views there...

Yeah, when you're aft even port you're overlooking people coming and going. If you are all the way forward you might be out beyond where the pier is. This was our most recent stateroom location (port, forward of forward elevators). Starboard you are looking out across the lagoons and beaches where all the guests spend their day. It just feels much more festive to us to have this view. It's always our preferred side. The only reason we landed port recently was because we booked under a VGT special rate and didn't get to pick our stateroom. We had to take what they gave us. Castaway Cay wasn't the best view for us but it was a fair trade for a less expensive price tag. ;) We were off-ship until maybe around 1:00 or so. I will say in favor of port side on Castaway Cay day, you do get to sit out and watch all the goings-on as the last passengers are herded back onboard and the crew finishes their final procedures before pulling away. It's interesting. :D

So they typically pull into the dock at CC? It seems I have seen some pics of the ship backed in, but maybe I am misreading the pic.

Yes, Disney pulls right up to their pier at CC. Typically they back the ships in. I've sailed on 7 DCL cruises that went to CC over the last 2 years and we have always been backed in.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Looking back at my pictures, I can see exactly what you're talking about now. I guess I just didn't think about it at the time since it was such a great view...

sweetpee_1993

Looking back at my pictures, I can see exactly what you're talking about now. I guess I just didn't think about it at the time since it was such a great view...

The aft verandahs are the best of both worlds on the views. It's pretty much the panorama. Of course, it's prob'ly better when you aren't looking out at sideways rain all day.... ;)

wilkeliza

Sorry to bump an old thread but I didn't think it was necessary to start another. I am forward starboard on the Fantasy E. Caribbean Iternerary B (St.Thomas/St. Jon, Puerto Rico, Castaway Cay) . Do you think this will provide us decent views? I know at CC we will over look the developed island but I can't remember what the views in St. Thomas are like and this will be our first Puerto Rico trip. I am looking now in case we want to swap to a room with a better view. I know we don't like aft just because of the engine rumble on the last night.

MaryJaneP

Our E.Carribean Aug 2013 St Martin, St John, CC, we were port but starboard was always, in every port, better view. St Martin and St John, starboard saw pier and island, at CC starboard saw developed and populated areas/activities. We were rarely in room but if it matters, starboard would seem to us to be better.

wilkeliza

Our E.Carribean Aug 2013 St Martin, St John, CC, we were port but starboard was always, in every port, better view. St Martin and St John, starboard saw pier and island, at CC starboard saw developed and populated areas/activities. We were rarely in room but if it matters, starboard would seem to us to be better.

Thanks. We like to spend mornings on the boat if we can before heading out to our excursions. We usually get breakfast by room service and just look out over the port we just pulled into.

Cesar R M

I find it interesting that noone has mentioned the views for other destinations. Like Alaska.
Do they have a fixed schedule and specific side when stopping at each pier in each town?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom