POR

3BratsToDisney

Original Poster
So we just booked at POR, our first onsite stay in several years (stayed at BW, CBR, All Star Sports years ago) and since its been some time can anyone whose stayed there recent give some tips?

- does the pool provide towels?

- we will have our own car is it better to just drive to the parks ourselves, if so do you get charged for parking or its free? ((DH seems to think we pay, I can swear you don't)) Or is it just better to use the buses - I should note we are a very laid back, easy going family especially on vacation so distances to walk to bus stops, being there first, etc isn't a stress factor for us (our kids are 12,10,4)

- anyone ever go to the campfire on the bayou at POR? was it something your kids enjoyed?

- are refillable mugs worth the cost? we tend to be in the parks all day and probably would only be using the mugs for breakfast and possibly dinner if we eat at the hotel, however since we have our own car eating off site will most likely happen as well to save a bit of money.

- any other tips for POR we should know?

Thanks so much!

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
Towels - Yes
Parking - NO Charge for onsite guests ( bring your own car MUCH more convenient unless you HATE driving)
Never went to the Campfire - Heard good things.
Those mugs are outrageously priced, but we got them free with the dining plan I think...otherwise I would not shell out that kind of money for the exact reason you mentioned.

We LOVE Alligator Bayou side better, but you'll probably get split opinions on that one.
We loved Building 18 - good distance to main building and main pool, but i think that may be a "preferred" room area now and cost a couple of extra bucks. If you check out the resort map you'll get a good idea of the layout and what's best distance wise.

Good choice on resort BTW!

Enjoy

PUSH

Towel are provided at the main pool for sure, but I'm not sure about the smaller pools.

Free parking for guests staying at a WDW resort. I find driving quicker sometimes than taking the bus (you don't have to wait for the bus, etc). The only park I find the bus easier to take is MK. You don't have to take the monorail or ferry boat then.

For us, mugs are well worth it because we use them a lot. If you are only going to be using them for breakfast, then it's probably not worth it.

Have not done the campfire.

Unlike Shookie, I prefer the Mansion rooms better. But as he said, there are varying opinions on that. POR has a great gift shop, and the best food court on property, IMO. It's a very lovely place to walk around with great landscaping. The river is beautiful, especially at night.

If you go to DTD, there is a boat that will take you there. It stops at POFQ on the way, but it's a very nice ride.

I think you'll love POR, I've stayed there numerous times and I check into the resort again on Sunday! :D

TrolleyFollower91

Staying at POFQ this week and there is a new sign in the room stating that guests should bring the towels from the room as they are no longer at the pool. Not sure if this is temporary or permanent as they were always at the pool prior to this trip. Also not sure if it is at POR too or just a FQ thing.

ShookieJones

The quote below is taken directly from the printed info sheet that is given to PO guests.
It's for both RS and FQ.
It doesn't appear to be a temporary thing.

"Going swimming? Grab your towel!
Towels are not available at the pools, so please take your room towels with you when going for a swim.
If you need additional towels, please press Housekeeping on your in-room phone."

Wow...how long has this been in place? Is this specific to PO resorts...seems extremely odd.

TrolleyFollower91

Wow...how long has this been in place? Is this specific to PO resorts...seems extremely odd.

Sometime within the last month. My mom stayed POR in May with towels at the pool and then we checked in to POFQ on Wednesday and you have to bring towels. It annoys me, I think there should be towels at the pool with the price of the rooms.

PUSH

I'm no Sherlock Holmes but I'm guessing $$$$$ is somehow involved. I just started another thread asking if anyone has heard about this.
Completely absurd.

It doesn't seem like that much of a cost, since they will still be doing the same amount of laundry. The only thing would be CMs who restock the towels, which doesn't save much.

ShookieJones

It doesn't seem like that much of a cost, since they will still be doing the same amount of laundry. The only thing would be CMs who restock the towels, which doesn't save much.

It would seem that way, but I think they're washing way more towels by having them at the pools. People are just indiscriminately grabbing piles. I'm guilty of grabbing a few more than I need, maybe making a makeshift pillow, foot rest or teddy bear if I want to take a nap......seriously though If I have to ask mousekeeping, they're going to control the amount they give me extra and that's only if I remember to ask.

guarantee it's a money thing!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom