Trip Report Pop & Hop, Snack & Shop, Graduation Celebration - Sept 2016

We arrived home late last night and as usual, we are all in Disney depression mode. Seriously, the return to reality is so hard!

It was an AWESOME trip. However not without a few hiccups. Let’s just say that the name of my Trip Report could easily have been, “I Almost Killed My Husband In The Happiest Place On Earth” or… “”Did The Ride Just Stop?” or… “Bathrooms Around The World”

Needless to say that Disney Magic outshines small issues – even my husband’s behavior that almost landed him in Cinderella’s moat more than once.

Warning: I have some commitments over the next few weeks, so I’m not sure how much updating I will be able to do. But I wanted to start writing before my memory and notes start to fade away. Besides, I’m so sad – it helps to re-live it! Lol

For those of you who don’t know us – our cast of characters:

Me – Mary

IMG_8890.JPG

Ross – My hubby who drove me INSANE throughout our trip.

IMG_0348.JPG

Julia (14)

IMG_0480.JPG

Hope (7 with Autism & Sensory issues)

IMG_0286.JPG

What I didn’t mention in my Pre-Trip Report is that we were celebrating the fact that Julia is starting 9th grade this year. As homeschoolers, we have never acknowledged graduations or moving up ceremonies. So since my sweet girl is starting high school, I figured she deserved a Disney Celebration, so I had that put on our reservation.

Since Ross agreed to family shirts, I had my friend make them for us. Julia was surprised and really happy!

IMG_0552.JPG

So if you are ready to join in the fun & craziness… welcome aboard!!

DimpledDevil18

Glad you had a good flight down! That's definitely a bit bizarre about that lady leaving her kid on line while she went to bathroom. I'm not a parent, but I don't think I'd leave my 7 or 8 yr old by themselves in a crowded international airport, even if it was while on line for the Magical Express. That sounds like an abduction waiting to happen. That was very nice of you to look out for her even though you were traveling by yourself with your own two daughters.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I also agree with DimpledDevil18's comments above. That was very considerate of you to keep an eye out for that child, while the mother took off to the restroom. I couldn't believe she left the child unattended. Glad you got on your bus, regardless of the delay.

Figment Forever

Original Poster
Glad you had a good flight down! That's definitely a bit bizarre about that lady leaving her kid on line while she went to bathroom. I'm not a parent, but I don't think I'd leave my 7 or 8 yr old by themselves in a crowded international airport, even if it was while on line for the Magical Express. That sounds like an abduction waiting to happen. That was very nice of you to look out for her even though you were traveling by yourself with your own two daughters.

I don't trust anyone! lol So yeah, it was a bit weird, but I hope if I did ever have an emergency, someone would look out for my kids too.

Figment Forever

Original Poster
I also agree with DimpledDevil18's comments above. That was very considerate of you to keep an eye out for that child, while the mother took off to the restroom. I couldn't believe she left the child unattended. Glad you got on your bus, regardless of the delay.

I'm glad she took the precaution to tell the cast member, but yeah, I think I would have pulled them off the line to go with me.

Figment Forever

Original Poster
Day 1 Continued...

It was strange to arrive at POP but it was really cool. It reminded me of our days at All Star Movies - real “in your face” Disney. We were in the Eighties section – room 7128. Hooray!! That’s my decade! Totally rad!

thumb_IMG_8675_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_8678_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_8671_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_8673_1024.jpg

Ahh.. I wasn't expecting this...

thumb_IMG_8664_1024.jpg

Julia and Hope were loving it. We went to our room and changed and then found our way to the food court to get a quick bite to eat before going swimming.

I heard some really good feedback about POP’s food court so I was excited – but unfortunately, it was really disappointing. Julia got pizza which she said was not good – dry & not very hot. When she says Six Flags pizza is better, I knew it must have been bad.

thumb_IMG_8683_1024.jpg

I got Hope a Mac&Cheese kids meal. They put these really long – tube like pasta in a dish and then spooned a glob of chesse on top. They didn’t even mix it together. She wasn’t digging it.

thumb_IMG_8682_1024.jpg

Finally, I got a kids sesame chicken with rice. It was so dry, I honestly couldn’t eat it.

thumb_IMG_8680_1024.jpg

Of course, ask me if I complained? No – I was in Disney and didn’t really care too much about food quality at the moment.

Attachments

• thumb_IMG_8684_1024.jpg
    thumb_IMG_8684_1024.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 54

Figment Forever

Original Poster
Day 1 Continued...

After we ate, it was time to swim! The girls were so excited! We set our course for the Hippity Dippity Pool. I have to say, it was a strange feeling to be in Disney and not running to a park. Even Julia said it felt a little odd. Even though Hope said she wanted to go swimming, I was nervous. You see, Hope does okay in the shallow end of a wave pool – or splash area, but plain old swimming pools - she never wants to go in. Sure enough, as soon as she began to walk down the steps into the pool, she began to freeze. I took her as gently and quickly as I could and got her in but at first she didn’t want to let go of me. Them I remembered something that Ross had just taught her at Six Flags wave pool. He told her that she was safe anywhere that had the number “3” on the wall – for the dept of the water. I quickly pointed out where the numbers were on the wall. Suddenly she relaxed and let go and stood up in the pool. That was all it took. She had a blast. When she wanted to go further out, she grabbed onto me and we bounced around. She even loved the “flower showers” throughout the pool. It was also great that the Hippity-Dippity had a blue line running throughout that was perfect for her height. So she knew not to cross the blue line.

I took basically no pictures – I was in the pool with Hope so holding my phone was a no-no. After a while, we headed over to the bowling pin pool followed by the computer pool. Finally, we went back to the Hippity-Dippity one last time.

thumb_IMG_8694_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_8695_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_8696_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_8697_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_8699_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_8703_1024.jpg

I decided I liked the Hippity-Dippity the best while Julia liked the computer pool and Hope’s favorite was the bowling pin pool.

Scoppin

To Magical Express we go!

View attachment 166563 View attachment 166564 View attachment 166565 View attachment 166566 View attachment 166568

On line we went to POP Century! But how strange that Ross was not there with us.

View attachment 166567

There was quite a line – more than what I am used to. While we waited, there was a mom and her daughter, probably around 7 or 8 in front of us. The mom had to go to the bathroom and told her daughter she would be right back. Now, I don’t think I would do that – I would get off the line and take my daughter with me. But I could tell she had to go and she also informed the Disney cast member at the podium what she was doing. Well don’t you know as soon as she left, the line start to move. The little girl looked scared and didn’t know what to do. She had a small suitcase she was wheeling, but their other suitcase was tremendous! I told Julia to take over Hope’s stroller and I pulled the suitcase for the little girl. When we got to the front, I informed the cast member that her mom was in the bathroom – she remembered and took the little girl to sit on the bench until her mom returned, which was only a couple of minutes. But I felt like I needed to hang around until I saw the mom coming. Unfortunately, that meant we were the last ones to board the bus and couldn’t find 3 seats together. Luckily Julia and Hope were together. I was about to ask if we could wait for another bus – but really wanted to be on our way. Plus the thought of having to tell Hope we had to get off Mickey’s Bus?!?! The bus driver said there was a seat for me 8 rows in front of Julia and Hope but I decided to just let Hope sit on my lap. I don’t think I have ever been on a Magical Express that was completely filled!

However, no worries because we were on our way!!

View attachment 166569

Our first stop was AoA and then… POP Century!

View attachment 166570

Good for you for looking after that little girl. I don't think I would have been able to move forward without doing the same. Mind you, if I was that parent I would have taken her with me, but inform the CM we would be back.

Scoppin

Day 1 Continued...

After we ate, it was time to swim! The girls were so excited! We set our course for the Hippity Dippity Pool. I have to say, it was a strange feeling to be in Disney and not running to a park. Even Julia said it felt a little odd. Even though Hope said she wanted to go swimming, I was nervous. You see, Hope does okay in the shallow end of a wave pool – or splash area, but plain old swimming pools - she never wants to go in. Sure enough, as soon as she began to walk down the steps into the pool, she began to freeze. I took her as gently and quickly as I could and got her in but at first she didn’t want to let go of me. Them I remembered something that Ross had just taught her at Six Flags wave pool. He told her that she was safe anywhere that had the number “3” on the wall – for the dept of the water. I quickly pointed out where the numbers were on the wall. Suddenly she relaxed and let go and stood up in the pool. That was all it took. She had a blast. When she wanted to go further out, she grabbed onto me and we bounced around. She even loved the “flower showers” throughout the pool. It was also great that the Hippity-Dippity had a blue line running throughout that was perfect for her height. So she knew not to cross the blue line.

I took basically no pictures – I was in the pool with Hope so holding my phone was a no-no. After a while, we headed over to the bowling pin pool followed by the computer pool. Finally, we went back to the Hippity-Dippity one last time.

View attachment 166608 View attachment 166609 View attachment 166610 View attachment 166611 View attachment 166613 View attachment 166614

I decided I liked the Hippity-Dippity the best while Julia liked the computer pool and Hope’s favorite was the bowling pin pool.

Sometimes a small explanation to help with small issues to us can go a long way with kids. I had one similar discussion with DS after we came home about his fear of having someone entering our home and killing him, due to discussions with fellow students and movies/shows he has seen. He was fine after our discussion.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
lol - I had no idea they actually sold those blue chips! I though they were made just for Jet Blue!

Ha! Me too!! I always fly Jet Blue, and I always get the delicious Blue Chips. (Since I only fly once a year, this is a major treat to get their Blue Chips. Little did I know I could just buy the silly things at the grocery store! Never even looked for them! :hilarious: )

Figment Forever

Original Poster
Sometimes a small explanation to help with small issues to us can go a long way with kids. I had one similar discussion with DS after we came home about his fear of having someone entering our home and killing him, due to discussions with fellow students and movies/shows he has seen. He was fine after our discussion.

Yes - it worked liked magic. I was so glad because water has always been a big issue with Hope and now hopefully, she is moving on a little.

Figment Forever

Original Poster
Ha! Me too!! I always fly Jet Blue, and I always get the delicious Blue Chips. (Since I only fly once a year, this is a major treat to get their Blue Chips. Little did I know I could just buy the silly things at the grocery store! Never even looked for them! :hilarious: )

Oh - I feel so much better now that I know it's not just me! lol

Figment Forever

Original Poster
I can't believe how grown up Hope is!!! I've been following your reports for years, and I just want to say "Thank you" for sharing your beautiful family with all if us.

Thanks so much for following along with us! It's hard to believe how fast the years go - all the more reason I love making magical memories together!

Figment Forever

Original Poster
Day 1 Continued...

Then we headed back to our room to change. It was time to explore!!

thumb_IMG_8704_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_8708_1024.jpg

We took the time to walk around POP. Hope loved seeing all the characters and Julia had some interesting questions about some of the “classic” items that made me feel rather old. She especially liked the Walkman and my stories of 8-Tracks.

thumb_IMG_8711_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_8718_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_8728_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_8738_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_8742_1024.jpg

We stopped into the Everything POP gift shop and looked around. Hope found several things she wanted to purchase. I have to say it’s kind of cool that she has her own opinions these days. For a long time I have to pick out items for her because she showed no interest. Now, it’s awesome to see her light up and chatter on about all the treasures waiting to be purchased!

thumb_IMG_8743_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_8748_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_8745_1024.jpg

I will say, I made a huge error. I didn’t want to buy anything until we were settled into Riverside. Bad call – I should have just bought what we wanted then and there because I ended up not getting a few things that we really wanted.

Figment Forever

Original Poster
Day 1 Continued...

thumb_IMG_8744_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_8747_1024.jpg

After looking around, we headed over to AoA.

thumb_IMG_8750_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_8751_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_8756_1024.jpg

I have to say, AoA is amazing! It is like you are completely stepping into the movies!

thumb_IMG_8760_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_8767_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_8768_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_8769_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_8772_1024.jpg

It was at this point that Hope announced in 2017 Magical Express would be dropping us off at AoA for 1 night! Ummm…. I informed her she could discuss her plans with daddy. lol

DisneyPrincess5

Loving your resort pics!!!! Looks like you guys are having a great time so far. I hear you about the weird feeling from not jetting off to a park. We go to Publix and settle into our resort, but we're used to that. If that's what you're used to and then you change it, I can imagine it feels awfully odd, like you're not even in Disney!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom