Pop Century: Standard or Preferred?

JohnD

Original Poster
Does it really matter if you pick a "standard" or a "preferred"? Is the only difference the view? I pretty much just need a place to put my head while I'm at WDW so view is less of a concern.

What about the location of the room itself regardless of view? Closer to bus stop, food court, etc?

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Preferred rooms are the ones closest to the main hall for dining and bus stops. At Pop, preferred rooms are in the 60s buildings. They are priced higher than standard rooms due to location. Some preferred rooms are pool view and are priced higher still.

Standard rooms in the 50s and 70s buildings aren't too far from dining/transportation and are cheaper.

micknminnie

We only stay standard. When I did on line check in, I requested ground floor near transportation for our stay at All Star Sports. We ended up in building 10 which was literally steps form the food court. It was definitely a preferred room even though we paid for standard. I don't think it's worth the extra money for preferred.

Plowboy

We generally stay "standard" when we are at Pop. Sometimes we are fortunate enough to get a lake view in either 50, 60 or 70's buildings.

JohnD

Original Poster
Thank you everyone! I'm keeping standard. There doesn't seem much benefit to upgrading to preferred and spending the extra money.

JohnD

Original Poster
I only book preferred rooms when I stay at the values. I like being near the front of the resort. There is enough walking done in the parks, who needs more at the resort?

LOL! Thank you. I absolutely get where you're coming from. I definitely make use of the Dr. Scholl's moleskins while I'm there. I think I'll just keep standard for cost reasons and make up the distance via the online check in process. Really appreciate your input.

JohnD

Original Poster
Preferred rooms are the ones closest to the main hall for dining and bus stops. At Pop, preferred rooms are in the 60s buildings. They are priced higher than standard rooms due to location. Some preferred rooms are pool view and are priced higher still.

Standard rooms in the 50s and 70s buildings aren't too far from dining/transportation and are cheaper.

Thanks for the info!

Maerj

We paid extra for preferred on our recent trip, since we had my parents with us. We were on the 4th floor in the 70s building. At check-in, I said we paid for Preferred, due to mom's mobility issues, we didn't think that meant the 4th floor. The lady looked at me and said "Well, there are elevators." So, I say just go for standard, I didn't feel it was worth it.

Rob562

Actually, only about 2/3 of the Preferred rooms are in the 60's. The rest are in parts of the 50's and 70's buildings closest to the main building.

That also means that 1/3 of the 60's buildings are standard rooms, some with a nice lake view.

-Rob

22YrsDVC

On a whim decided to try the "Free Dining" this fall, and am staying at the Pop Century. Went with a standard room after seeing all the advice from former threads about the value of paying more for certain rooms. I concur that standard is the way to go. That and being nice at check-in, and if that doesn't work, crying always works for me.:joyfull:

SAV

In our multiple stays at POP, we paid for a standard room, but requested 60's and a Lake View and got it each time. It's really close to everything and has a nice view.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom