1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Pop Century Room Rehab

Discussion in 'WDW Parks News, Rumors and Current Events' started by danlb_2000, May 26, 2016.

1. allgiggles

allgiggles Well-Known Member

I totally understand that there are times that a phone/chat CM might have information that is confidential and can't be discussed. However, in this case, the renovations are public knowledge. There are pictures everywhere. I don't see any reason they need to flat out deny that there are room renovations going on. If anything, you'd think Disney would *want* them to say it and use it as a tool to upsell. "I need to make you aware that there are room renovations going on at the resort at this time and there may be loud construction noise during the day. Would you like to book a room at Port Orleans Riverside instead? You'd have a larger room, table service restaurant, blah, blah, blah...and you wouldn't need to worry about being inconvenienced by the construction currently going on at Pop Century." Hypothetical situation here, but as a guest, if I specifically asked about construction and was told that it was only exterior work and then I got there and was in a room near the construction that interfered with my plans to nap all afternoon (or have my infant/toddler nap), I'd be livid and I'd be having a conversation with Guest Services...which would probably end up with GS moving my room location (possibly moving me to a different resort depending on how "angry" I was) and throwing in some compensation for my trouble. Seems like it would be less trouble to be honest from the beginning. Which is why I'm sticking to my theory that the chat CM mentioned in the previous post was clueless. :)

2. brent2124

brent2124 Well-Known Member

The point is the CM didn't necessarily flat out lie. If the CM isn't searching on Internet forums during their free time they may not know about these renovations. Pictures on fan websites don't translate to common knowledge of all CM, if there hasn't been an announcement made on the Hub, the CM legitimately may have believed what they said to be accurate. It's also possible a post was made on the Hub when the CM was on vacation and they missed it. There are FAR more plausible possibilities than a CM lying, especially on a chat that can be screen captured by a guest and sent as part of a complaint against them.

Jon81uk likes this.
  3. allgiggles

I never said this CM lied (though I made a general sweeping comment about CMs having inaccurate information). I just said he was clueless...meaning he didn't have the information. Not sure why Disney is so stingy with their information to CMs who are constantly talking with guests. It's obvious that *some* CMs have the information (hence the constant advice on message boards to keep calling back and talking to a different CM when a guests knows they're getting incorrect/wrong information from the CM they're talking to). I can only imagine/guess that some CMs are much better at keeping on top of announcements than others (just like at any other non-Disney call center). I'm not sure why this discussion is happening...it's just an opinion. Other than the part that many phone/chat CMs give out incorrect or inaccurate information....there's plenty of evidence that happens on a regular basis -- I never said it was intentional.

ford91exploder likes this.
  4. EPICOT

EPICOT Well-Known Member

I have a preferred room booked for early September at Pop Century. From what I've read the refurbishments have only started/been completed on the 80s and 90s buildings, correct? This means there are currently no preferred rooms that have been refurbished yet? Just want to know if I should add a request on my reservation.

5. mhaftman7

mhaftman7 Active Member

In general, the booking agents have been spot on. When we were deciding between ASMo and POP, they recommended POP for that time frame because the ASMu Food Court would be under construction and guests would be advised to go to ASMo or ASSp (Had to edit as I proofread ;) or it would have been an oops). So we stayed in a non-preferred view room at POP and low and behold we could see a good majority of Illuminations from our room. How 'bout dem apples.

This was also the trip that was a test trip for MagicBands. I had read about them here and inquired when we called. They could not guarantee that MBs would be in use at the time, but again we got the email that said hey, would we like to be one of the first guest to try this new feature?

We just booked for next August (why no bounce back offers? I mean at least 10 trips in 15 years!) at POP and asked if there were specific rooms that would be done the refurb by then. She specifically stated that they are hoping all rooms would be done by that time.

I think most CMs give the "I'll note your request but cannot guarantee it" line knowing that it won't be a problem. Under promising and exceeding expectations make businesses successful and customers happy. If I told you we probably would need to keep your car for repairs until tomorrow, but finished before the end of the day, you'd be ecstatic to get your car back well before the estimated time of completion.

6. celluloid

celluloid Well-Known Member

They will not mention it unless instructed or prompted to do so because they cannot guarantee refurbed rooms. Standard business for many hospitality companies.

7. Bacon

Bacon Well-Known Member

Hi sorry for bumping, Does anyone know what buildings are currently redone?

Rsj88 and osucbsb like this.
  8. jpeden

jpeden Well-Known Member

I believe that the 90's section is done, but I don't know if we've had confirmation regarding any other sections.

Rsj88 likes this.
  9. Wngo905

Wngo905 Active Member

Was the second family to stay in Building 9 (80's building) third floor standard pool view this past Thursday night. The 90's are complete and most (possible all) of building 9. They appeared to be working on the other 80's building now.

I will also say this, The pictures of the renovations don't do it justice. The room is realllllllllllly nice. Lots and lots of storage, usb plugins and regular plugs throughout the room, big TV, WONDERFUL shower with rainfall shower head and hand held, plus lots of other extras. Using the sliding doors really made the bathroom bigger and more usable space.

Edited to correct building number.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  10. peter11435

peter11435 Well-Known Member

Building 8 is the 90's. Buildings 7 and 9 are the 80's.

Rsj88 likes this.
  11. MisterPenguin

MisterPenguin Premium Member

For reference:

upload_2017-8-1_23-17-35.png

dreamscometrue and Wngo905 like this.
  12. Javier Antonio Nisa Avila

Javier Antonio Nisa Avila Active Member

@Wngo905 how is the wardrobe?? in comparation with the old room??

13. Wngo905

Wngo905 Active Member

I was going on lack of sleep, heat stroke and memory. It's now corrected:)
    smaller hanging area. drawers are adequate and soft closing and now hold a safe large enough for a laptop.

14. levardis

levardis New Member

We've got a trip in 4 weeks in a preferred room. Have any of the renovated rooms in the preferred category been completed?

15. allgiggles

No. The only buildings that have been completed are 8 & 9. Building 7 is nearly complete and should be back in inventory soon. Those buildings are all in the 80's & 90's section. Work has started on Building 10 in the 70's section -- this is the first building to be worked on that has Preferred Rooms. It probably won't be finished until late October.

dreamscometrue and EPICOT like this.
  16. EPICOT

EPICOT Well-Known Member

Can you request a non-preferred room if you have a preferred room booked?

17. allgiggles

It seems like there have been mixed results with doing this. It seems like the best success has been with calling and asking to have the room type changed or going to the front desk at check-in and requesting a standard room. The best results seem to come from doing the request in person, though some people have gotten the phone CMs to change the room type on the reservation. If you're doing online check-in and you have a Preferred room booked but request an area that does not have Preferred rooms (i.e. 80's or 90's section), you won't get the request.

Nick Pappagiorgio and EPICOT like this.
  18. EPICOT

EPICOT Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info! I'm going to try for a room change because having an updated room is more important to me than the room location.

dreamscometrue likes this.
  19. dreamscometrue

dreamscometrue Well-Known Member

I've always wondered why building 10, is next to building 6. :) It seems like they were counting from the 50s section, then went..6, 10, 7, 8 and 9.

20. peter11435

peter11435 Well-Known Member

The buildings are numbered counter clockwise starting from the main commercial building. This numbering format is used for all of the value resorts.

dreamscometrue likes this.