1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Pop Century Room Rehab

Discussion in 'WDW Parks News, Rumors and Current Events' started by danlb_2000, May 26, 2016.

1. PrincessNelly_NJ

PrincessNelly_NJ Well-Known Member

I don't dislike it.... I just wish they went with some color on the walls. They have the small painted blue section in the sink area and I wish they would have carried that over the the "room" area, even if it was just one accent wall.

I do think it is an upgrade over what they had before.

2. RefillableMug

RefillableMug New Member

Don't ask Disney about these refurbished rooms because they will deny they even exist. I talked with 2 Cast Members from Guest Services yesterday and they knew nothing of them. One said the only refurbishment at Pop Century is just maintenance to Hour Glass Lake. The other said that there are no room refurbishments and all rooms at Pop Century are decorated the same. Maybe they will get some info about these rooms soon so Guests can learn more.

3. Epcot82Guy

Epcot82Guy Well-Known Member

I agree with this. I had the pleasure of staying in a renovated room in May. It was 90% excellent. It is very, very toned down in theme, but I loved finding the hidden touches. I think they went too far, unfortunately. But, quite literally, if they had kept the admiral Mickey lamp or done a new version of something Disney vs. the globe, it would have been a 100% success for me (which isn't typical for rme). I feel similarly here. While there is more Disney in the wall art, it's gone a bit too restrained. However, adding a lamp, painting one wall, etc. are at least signs of progress. The overall design and functionality of both seem to be great upgrades. I'm VERY hopeful for what this could mean for the older DVC rooms.

TheOrangeBird01 and flyerjab like this.
  4. vcstr

vcstr Active Member

This photo comparison is great and addresses a lot of the things people are saying. When seen side-by-side the new rooms don't look any less plain than the old ones to me, just fresher and cleaner. I agree one subtley-coloured accent wall would have been nice but I'm still *really* hoping for a refurbished room on my trip in two weeks.

Edit: Ooops, sorry I didn't realize we couldn't link to there. But I do think it's important to look at what the old rooms currently look like (bedding included) vs. what they looked like with the old bedding.

Biff215 and Nick Pappagiorgio like this.
  5. Flynnwriter

Flynnwriter Active Member

Let's paint the world white! It seems the designers from wilderness lodge were hired for interior design of these new hospital rooms. They would be great for a kids or family hospital - but as Disney guest rooms they look unfinished and on the cheap side. And any experienced hospitality designer knows that white walls are only white one week. I'd hate to see these 6 months from now.

6. willtravel

willtravel Well-Known Member

What gets me is the buildings around WDW are getting painted with color, ex : Epcot, and here they paint the room white. :confused:

Kram Sacul and BlindChow like this.
  7. I am Timmy

I am Timmy Well-Known Member

Can't they put some art back on the walls? That would help tremendously, I think, without taking away from the modern clean lines they seem to be going for. It looks like an unfinished room. I'm just going to bring some art of my own.....

Kram Sacul and BlindChow like this.
  8. Javier Antonio Nisa Avila

Javier Antonio Nisa Avila Active Member

I agree with the necessity to refurb the rooms of Pop Century, the room was not totally comfortable (for example the carpet). But doesn't mean that the new room have removed de closet. The new closet its only 25% of the old closet...for 4 persons its impossible. Nobody has thought to designa a closet more bigger. :banghead:

9. sgtbtlbailey

sgtbtlbailey Member

Has anyone stayed in any of the refurbished rooms yet? I just completed an online chat via the Disney World website with a cast member and he completely denied any internal refurbishment at Pop. He told me the only renovation they are undergoing is some external work. We are looking to go next April and we're wondering which buildings have been renovated .

10. peter11435

peter11435 Well-Known Member

Just building 8 is done. 7 and 9 are in progress. All should be complete by next April.

Rsj88, Pedro Soto and dreamscometrue like this.
  11. allgiggles

allgiggles Well-Known Member

Phone/chat CM's are famous for giving inaccurate and down-right incorrect information. There is most definitely a room refurbishment project going on at Pop Century. I haven't personally stayed in a refurbished room but there are several people who have posted pictures on a Pop Century Room Renovation thread over on the Disboards as well as other places. There are also several videos on Youtube. At this point, only Building 8 has been refurbished and put back in to inventory. It appears as though building 9 is close to being ready to go back into inventory and building 7 is being worked on. It's believed that they will work "down" through the decades....so the 70's would be next, followed by the 60's and then the 50's. The permits for the project go through April 2018, so by the time you're there all or nearly all of the buildings will be finished.

12. sgtbtlbailey

sgtbtlbailey Member

Thank you! We are looking at the preferred rooms around the Hippy Dippy pool so hopefully they'll be done in time. Still trying to figure out if the beds are doubles or queens if anyone can verify. We've stayed there before and they were doubles. It would be awesome if they've upgraded to queens.

dreamscometrue likes this.
  13. Disney Dad 3000

Disney Dad 3000 Well-Known Member

We just got back from a few nights there (first time at POP) and definitely didn't have a refurbished room. While small, the room was adequate enough since we weren't in there much. I did have ti be careful opening the door as one night I did walk right into one of the doubles that was in front of the door. We did have a preferred room by the pool/dining. May have missed it, but only work I spotted was them painting the exterior of the buildings.

14. imahistorygeek

imahistorygeek Well-Known Member

We just left Pop yesterday. We had a refurbed room in the 90s. It's a nice improvement.

15. imahistorygeek

imahistorygeek Well-Known Member

This was my first thought when I saw the room in person. It has a much more deluxe feel.

MisterPenguin likes this.
  16. dreamscometrue

dreamscometrue Well-Known Member

It is strange that I've seen/read 4 reviews of the new rooms and, while all people state the 'main' bed is a queen, 2 said the Murphy is a queen and 2 said it was a double. Someof these people even stated that they measured to compare, but they reached different conclusions. :confused:

17. allgiggles

allgiggles Well-Known Member

The posts/messages I've seen where people said they measured the beds both said that they measured exactly the same (queen). I think we need someone to take pictures of the tape measure laying on the mattress. :D

18. Pedro Soto

Pedro Soto Member

Sounds good planning to stay at Pop Century next June

19. brent2124

brent2124 Well-Known Member

It's not that they themselves give inaccurate information necessarily, a lot of the times people ask questions or request information that the CM is not allowed to speak about. Do some accidentally give misinformation, absolutely, but far more of the time it's that there are things the CM can't discuss.

wannabeBelle likes this.
  20. sgtbtlbailey

sgtbtlbailey Member

I totally get that, but in the case of a refurb, why would they be hiding that information? Its a positive thing if they're updating the rooms and I would absolutely understand if they said you can request a refurbished room, but we can't guarantee it. But I don't get why they would deny that its even going on. I worked at a major hotel chain call center several years ago and if a hotel was undergoing any type of renovation or construction work, we had to tell the customer when they called to make a reservation. Yes, it might cause them not to choose that particular hotel, but it sounds like they're working on each building separately in this case and its not major demo, so not likely to cause a disturbance to other guests.