1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Pop Century Room Rehab

Discussion in 'WDW Parks News, Rumors and Current Events' started by danlb_2000, May 26, 2016.

1. Andrew C

Andrew C You know what's funny? Premium Member

It is a hotel industry thing that I see a lot across many companies. Clean lines, crisp white sheets, and relatively minimalist...now, I am sure there are many people who are not a fan of this...

2. floridagirl57

floridagirl57 Member

I stayed at POP this January and overall I found the rooms to be very dingy and in desperate need of a refresh (especially the gross carpet). Big fan of this rehab.

3. AndrewsJ

AndrewsJ Well-Known Member

I almost said the same thing about the Swan and Dolphin. I feel exactly the way you do. I was in utter shock when I saw those rooms in person for the first time. I felt like I was in a hospital room. Plus there are so many coats of paint on the walls and trim that it looks like it should be striped or replaced. I'm so glad that it's not just me.

I know I'm repeating myself but I say "well done" on the Pop rooms except the wall color. I think the setup is actually really cool. They were able to fit 2 queen sized beds without losing the table and chairs and mounted the TVs on the wall. It looks much more modern. I also really like the pop art touches reminiscent of Brito who does a lot of Disney art and somewhat like Andy Warhol with the headboard. I guess pop art and pop culture are close enough lol. The market is younger families with younger kids I think so there just should have been more color.

Kman101 likes this.
  4. Andrew C

Andrew C You know what's funny? Premium Member

That is what Art of Animation is for! :p

AndrewsJ likes this.
  5. AndrewsJ

AndrewsJ Well-Known Member

True! I guess I hadn't thought of that! Ha ha. Maybe they were thinking malong the lines of Animator's Palate on the cruise ships that started in black and white and as the meal progressed so did the colors of the surroundings and the wait staff's uniforms. I think you may be on to something!

Andrew C likes this.
  6. Animaniac93-98

Animaniac93-98 Well-Known Member

Much better looking now (especially the bathroom/vanity area). The, larger beds and extra floor, outlets and counter space are certainly appreciated.

Some more colour on the walls would be nice, but that's my only complaint here.

I'm indifferent to carpet vs no carpet.

dreamscometrue and Kman101 like this.
  7. xdan0920

xdan0920 Think for yourselfer Premium Member

Looks like every other room Reno they've done across property. Blurring the lines between Deluxe/Mod/Value.

8. Mickey5150

Mickey5150 Well-Known Member

I agree there is a lot of white, but when the bed is up it's darker which makes the room less white. Also once you add dark luggage and all the colors that show up when we stay in rooms it won't be quite as white. Also, in a smaller room with minimal natural lighting, the white will make the room feel larger.

9. roj2323

roj2323 Premium Member

I'd actually consider staying there now. The remodel is very nice. The hard surface for a floor is a bit of a weird selection but I do understand why they would go with it.

10. Bocabear

Bocabear Well-Known Member

and if you dress in colorful clothing it might make the room feel more colorful...lol what a convoluted idea...

Kram Sacul and BlindChow like this.
  11. Kman101

Kman101 Premium Member

You seem extra feisty lately ...

12. Weather_Lady

Weather_Lady Well-Known Member

I think the rehabbed rooms look nice -- I do think that leaving the floor color so neutral and boring was a missed opportunity to have added some much-needed warmth and color. Although sleek and updated, the room looks like it belongs in the "Meh Century" resort, and something tells me that the sea of white walls and white lacquered furniture is going to look cheap, dated and shabby in no time -- all it will take is just a couple of scuffs and chips.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
    Ciara and BlindChow like this.
  13. Bocabear

Do I? I feel like there is less to be gushy about lately... I did really love the Pandora Flight Of Passage attraction...
    I need to say at least one positive thing in the forums a day...lol
    and the POP room remodel is fine, but uninspired.
    I really was blown away by the Cabana Bay resort which is about the same price point...and it makes me wonder why the same level resort at Disney has to feel stripped down...Especially when Disney is the bigger resort with more money...
    So now the only theming for the Pop Century Resort is giant fiberglass things on the buildings and rather sterile plain rooms.
    I have stayed at POP many times...I liked it's convenient location and the fact that it was newer than the All Star Resorts....
    I think they can do better....and really should.

14. Kman101

Kman101 Premium Member

Was just teasing :) feisty is fun lol. But I'm not fond of the sterile look the hotels seem to be going for. I like some aspects of the update. It seems the charm of rooms is being zapped away at WDW. I think the old look was a bit dingy and due for an update but they can do better.

15. jakeman

jakeman Premium Member

Based on what I've seen from most hotels I've stayed in over the last few years, I'm not sure "better" is the right word.

They are following the industry which is swinging towards this minimalist look across the board. I think it's an improvement, but probably too subtle for the exterior of the building. I'll admit though, I would have no clue how to appropriately unsubtle it. It's a fine line to embrace the purposeful garishness of the outside and not crossover to kitschy on the inside.

Also those that will post, "they should lead the industry blah blah blah", save it. That's not my point.

dreamscometrue, flyerjab and Kman101 like this.
  16. Kman101

Kman101 Premium Member

Yeah it does seem to be the way the hotel industry is going. Maybe an accent wall with a different color ... I'm fine with clean and modern but I think it's sometimes boring lol. They start to look like everyone else.

Weather_Lady and jakeman like this.
  17. Bocabear

but "kitschy" is the point of the resort....
    They embraced that at Cabana Bay and you have beautifully designed interior spaces full of architectural references of old Miami Beach, and then you walk into the hotel rooms and they actually match the style...they even have retro packaged soaps and shampoo ...it is very well thought out... Step out to one of their two different pool areas.. also beautifully designed...a lazy river, slides, gorgeous landscaping... This is no "All Star big plain pool with a fiberglass sculpture...
    and seriously....they should lead the industry... the Disney brand is always touted as being the symbol of innovation and quality...and at WDW they are doing neither in their resrts.

18. Bocabear

It looks like Disney's IKEAHotel

19. jakeman

jakeman Premium Member

:rolleyes:

20. flyerjab

flyerjab Kaltxi Premium Member

I feel like one of the things that they seem to be more focused on with room rehabs these days is functionality over theme. I have stayed in the new YC rooms. On my computer screen I thought that they looked very 'meh', but when we stayed there we really liked them. The theme is there, but just extremely toned down. It seems to me that way more thought is being placed on developing a more 'user-friendly' room. In the YC rooms, there are so many outlets and phone/device charging ports that an entire traveling circus could stay in one room and everyone could find a charging port. The beds are completely open underneath to allow for more storage in the rooms. There is also more of a focus on drawers and cabinet space for stowing things away. And, one small addition I loved was the placement of a corner shelf between the queen bed and the wall - the spot of the bed I always occupy (there was never a good place for my phone except on the floor which I hated). One nice touch we saw when we toured the new Copper Creek rooms at the SS model was a storage space designed for shoes. It really seems that a more utilitarian approach is being looked at. Also, the TV screens are HUGE, so you could pretty much watch them from the hallway if you wanted.

Hard flooring as opposed to carpets - I assume - are easier to clean and maintain. Additionally, a more sparsely themed room should prove easier to clean on the whole. Apparently, the lack of runners at the foot of the beds are no longer there since people seem to enjoy stealing them. I would imagine that more than just runners have been stolen - did you ever see some items for sale on eBay that most likely were pilfered from Disney rooms? As always, we can thank fellow vacationers for some of these issues.

In the end, I imagine that a more basic room with less themed items is both easier to clean/maintain, while also providing less specifically themed items for folks to walk away with. You can't walk away with a Disney themed runner/pillow/picture/etc., if it is no longer truly themed (or no longer in the room!). It would be like stealing a runner from a Hilton or Marriott I suppose.