Pop Century Room Question

H20Babie

Hey everyone, it's been a while but I'll back in my happy place March 2018 (solo)!

I've decided to stay at Pop for this trip, but have one question: I want to be in the back of the 60's or 50's, with a ground floor, lake view. If I book a preferred room, and request ground floor and lake view, will I be put in the back of the 60's or 50's buildings? I do not want to make too many room requests and understand that these rooms are standard, but want to ensure 50's or 60's. So ... would booking a preferred room be the way to go (I don't want 70's).

TIA!

Smiley/OCD

We have been there 4 times...you can request it when you make your reservations, but just remember, there's no guarantee...my only suggestion is unless you have a specific reason for staying on the ground floor, I would request the third...we love the resort (we outgrew it, so we now stay across the lake at AOA)...there will be TONS of kids there, so the third floor IS a little quieter, and you won't have anyone above you jumping on the beds or floor. When you check in, just remind the desk of your request, and they are usually VERY good at honoring it. ENJOY!!

Upvote 0

allgiggles

Hey everyone, it's been a while but I'll back in my happy place March 2018 (solo)!

I've decided to stay at Pop for this trip, but have one question: I want to be in the back of the 60's or 50's, with a ground floor, lake view. If I book a preferred room, and request ground floor and lake view, will I be put in the back of the 60's or 50's buildings? I do not want to make too many room requests and understand that these rooms are standard, but want to ensure 50's or 60's. So ... would booking a preferred room be the way to go (I don't want 70's).

TIA!

There are preferred rooms in the 70's as well, so booking preferred isn't going to take the 70's out of the equation. And you absolutely won't get a lake view room if you book Preferred. My suggestion is to book a standard room (since all lake view rooms are standard) and add your requests (lake view, ground floor, not 70's) to your reservation. If you don't like your assigned room at check-in, you can always ask if they have something else available that works better for you. You could also use the room request fax service at Touring Plans to request a specific room/location. There's a box to enter comments on the fax so even though you have to indicate a specific room, you can give an explanation as to why you requested *that* room and that any room in that general area would be great.

And Pop has 4 floors. Just wanted to mention that in case you decide to request the top floor for less noise.

Our favorite location at Pop was Rooms #4450 & #4451 (60's, Bldg 4, 4th floor, lake view). Very quiet location and close to everything that was important to us (pool, main building, elevator/stairs). If we stay at Pop again (we've moved over to AoA for the last few trips), I would request that location again. Now it has the added bonus of being close to the bridge to AoA making it easier to go back and forth between the resorts.

Upvote 0

Smiley/OCD

There are preferred rooms in the 70's as well, so booking preferred isn't going to take the 70's out of the equation. And you absolutely won't get a lake view room if you book Preferred. My suggestion is to book a standard room (since all lake view rooms are standard) and add your requests (lake view, ground floor, not 70's) to your reservation. If you don't like your assigned room at check-in, you can always ask if they have something else available that works better for you. You could also use the room request fax service at Touring Plans to request a specific room/location. There's a box to enter comments on the fax so even though you have to indicate a specific room, you can give an explanation as to why you requested *that* room and that any room in that general area would be great.

And Pop has 4 floors. Just wanted to mention that in case you decide to request the top floor for less noise.

Our favorite location at Pop was Rooms #4450 & #4451 (60's, Bldg 4, 4th floor, lake view). Very quiet location and close to everything that was important to us (pool, main building, elevator/stairs). If we stay at Pop again (we've moved over to AoA for the last few trips), I would request that location again. Now it has the added bonus of being close to the bridge to AoA making it easier to go back and forth between the resorts.
I stand corrected...4 floors..(it's been a while) LOL

Upvote 0

Cosmic Commando

We stayed in almost this exact location, except on the third floor. Without a doubt, they must be the greatest standard view value rooms on property! Close to the main pool, but not facing it so you don't get the noise. Beautiful lake views. Easy access to both the Pop and AoA food courts and bus stops. You can even see and hear Illuminations! It's very small and very quiet, but is there! Once the gondola stop goes up on the bridge, there's no way these rooms stay standard.

Upvote 0

allgiggles

We stayed in almost this exact location, except on the third floor. Without a doubt, they must be the greatest standard view value rooms on property! Close to the main pool, but not facing it so you don't get the noise. Beautiful lake views. Easy access to both the Pop and AoA food courts and bus stops. You can even see and hear Illuminations! It's very small and very quiet, but is there! Once the gondola stop goes up on the bridge, there's no way these rooms stay standard.

I forgot about the fireworks!!! We watched them from our room. Our kids were 4 & 5 at the time and weren't fond of loud noises so we didn't go to any of the nighttime shows that year. But we'd watch Illuminations from our window almost every night. We could also see some of the fireworks from Wishes and Fantasmic if we walked to the end of the building.

Upvote 0

Rob562

One thing to be aware of, by March 2018 they'll most likely be in full swing for the construction of the AoA/Pop gondola station in the center of the lake. (They're doing initial prep-work now in the parking lot between Pop's 50's and AoA's Little Mermaid) While they most likely will limit construction to daylight hours, if view from your room is important a lake view from Building 6 will be your best bet. Lake Views from Buildings 4 and 5 will see the construction.

-Rob

Upvote 0

H20Babie

Original Poster
We have been there 4 times...you can request it when you make your reservations, but just remember, there's no guarantee...my only suggestion is unless you have a specific reason for staying on the ground floor, I would request the third...we love the resort (we outgrew it, so we now stay across the lake at AOA)...there will be TONS of kids there, so the third floor IS a little quieter, and you won't have anyone above you jumping on the beds or floor. When you check in, just remind the desk of your request, and they are usually VERY good at honoring it. ENJOY!!

Thanks. Unfortunately, I still have a bad habit and find that ground floor rooms are the quickest to get rid of a craving (lol)

I stand corrected...4 floors..(it's been a while) LOL

I have stayed at several times Pop before, most recently in September of 2015, with a party of 9. We were in the 50's with ground floor pool rooms. Loved it. This time, since I'm going to be on my own, I prefer a little more solitude, at least, what solitude I can get at a value. I don't want to feel completely alone but also like a little space, if that makes any sense at all!

Yup, I'm thinking back of 60's would be perfect location. Unfortunately, my age has been creeping up on me, and my knees aren't what they used to be from years of dance, soccer and basketball.

I forgot about the fireworks!!! We watched them from our room. Our kids were 4 & 5 at the time and weren't fond of loud noises so we didn't go to any of the nighttime shows that year. But we'd watch Illuminations from our window almost every night. We could also see some of the fireworks from Wishes and Fantasmic if we walked to the end of the building.

Nice! I've heard that but never been around that time of night to see them (prefer to sleep in a little and go hard at night :))

One thing to be aware of, by March 2018 they'll most likely be in full swing for the construction of the AoA/Pop gondola station in the center of the lake. (They're doing initial prep-work now in the parking lot between Pop's 50's and AoA's Little Mermaid) While they most likely will limit construction to daylight hours, if view from your room is important a lake view from Building 6 will be your best bet. Lake Views from Buildings 4 and 5 will see the construction.

-Rob

Thanks Rob. It will be spring break and just before Easter so I know what I'm in for. That being said, my DS(16) is off to Europe for 12 days on a school trip so this is the only time I can go solo! I've been other times at the end of March and have never had a problem getting on the rides we want. Anything else is gravy!

However, I have not heard of a gondola station. Please, do tell more!

We've stayed at Pop many times and in several different areas of the property. Without a doubt, the 50's & 60's lakeside rooms are our favorites.

Agreed :)

Thanks everyone for your responses. Just saw photos of the refurbed rooms and made my package reservation this morning!

Upvote 0

Rob562

Thanks Rob. It will be spring break and just before Easter so I know what I'm in for. That being said, my DS(16) is off to Europe for 12 days on a school trip so this is the only time I can go solo! I've been other times at the end of March and have never had a problem getting on the rides we want. Anything else is gravy!

However, I have not heard of a gondola station. Please, do tell more!

Quite a long an varied discussion of it here:
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/new-gondola-transportation.924477/

Long story short, Disney is building a passenger gondola system that will connect CBR (and it's under-construction DVC add-on), Pop and AoA with the Studios and the International Gateway entrance of Epcot. Very early construction prep work has started in locations where the gondola and its stations will go (the largest prep work so far being at CBR where there's ground clearing as part of the adjacent DVC expansion).

There's a map of the system in the first post of the above system, though a month or two later it was amended slightly when it became known that the Pop/AoA station would be in the center of the lake, adjacent to the bridge.

At a minimum, the system is expected to be up and running by the time Star Wars Land opens in 2019, which is also about the time the CBR DVC will probably open. Whether they get the system up and running before the DVC is done remains to be seen.

-Rob

Upvote 0

H20Babie

Original Poster
Quite a long an varied discussion of it here:
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/new-gondola-transportation.924477/

Long story short, Disney is building a passenger gondola system that will connect CBR (and it's under-construction DVC add-on), Pop and AoA with the Studios and the International Gateway entrance of Epcot. Very early construction prep work has started in locations where the gondola and its stations will go (the largest prep work so far being at CBR where there's ground clearing as part of the adjacent DVC expansion).

There's a map of the system in the first post of the above system, though a month or two later it was amended slightly when it became known that the Pop/AoA station would be in the center of the lake, adjacent to the bridge.

At a minimum, the system is expected to be up and running by the time Star Wars Land opens in 2019, which is also about the time the CBR DVC will probably open. Whether they get the system up and running before the DVC is done remains to be seen.

-Rob

Thanks Rob, looks like I have some reading to do this weekend!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom