1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

pop century bed bugs!?

Discussion in 'WDW Trip Planning' started by steviej, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Phonedave

Phonedave Well-Known Member

Beg bugs do not nest in hair. They live in small dark places - behind baseboard, under the carpet, in the wall, etc. They come out at night to feed (on people)

They may travel in your hair / luggage / clothes etc. but they do not live on people.

A bed bug only feeds about once a week, but they can go for over a year without feeding if necessary - so I don't know where you are getting you information about high turnover rate hotels from. Not to mention that they will search out other sources of food if necessary (i.e. move from room to room)

Are you sure you are not talking about head lice? Head lice do live in your hair (however dirty hair has nothing to do with it, in fact clean hair makes getting lice easier). Head lice also have a shorter life cycle and need to feed more frequently. Removing a host from the area can treat lice infestations in items such as bedding (but then so will hot washing and drying or simple vaccuming)

-dave

2. NYwdwfan

NYwdwfan Well-Known Member

It's misinformation like this that fuels the frenzy.

3. tigsmom

tigsmom Well-Known Member

My thoughts as well

Have to agree here and why I suggested he read a bit more

4. Lisalyn

Lisalyn Well-Known Member

Are you sure you are talking about bed bugs? Sounds to me like you are talking about head lice - they are different. Just wondering!

5. LisaB08

LisaB08 New Member

Pop Century Bed Bugs

I just stayed at the Pop Century October 10th - 15th. We had a great room. It was in the second building Rm. 1264. Our room faced the bowling ball pool. They had just remodeled our room. It had fresh carpeting, a small dresser and a flat screen tv. A curtain has been added between the room and bathroom sink for privacy. There are hooks to hang things. I tore the bed apart looking for bed bugs. There was nothing. If you are worried, ask for a renovated room or take the covers off the bed and check in the seams. I have been going to Disney since 1997 and usually stay at an All Star or the Pop Century. I have NEVER had a bed bug issue. Don't worry about things you can't control. Bed bugs can show up in the nicest of hotels....The former posting sounds like head lice to me.

6. timeman

timeman Active Member

I wouldn't worry about bed bugs at Pop Century as I was there in August and had no problem. You can get bed bugs from anywhere. They have been reported in the Empire State Building and even the office building that Howard Stern has his office in. The best way to avoid bed bugs is to never leave your house as you can get them anywhere where people go other than that if you have to like other people have said check around the mattress for them in the hotel room and don't leave anything on the floor.

7. RonAnnArbor

RonAnnArbor Well-Known Member

I also wouldn't worry too much about this at Pop Century. There are no reports at:

http://bedbugregistry.com/

In fact, there are only a dozen or so reports of bedbugs over the past three years at ANY of the Orlando resort hotels, let alone Disney resort hotels...

Granted they might not report every single incident, but the low number is probably pretty accurate.

8. unkadug

unkadug Sharknado fighter Premium Member

Most bedbugs that I know would NEVER register on a site like that!

9. fosse76

fosse76 Well-Known Member

No, it doesn't. Like most vacation destinations, it attracts mostly the middle class. Bed bugs do not discriminate based on class. There are luxury apartments in New York that have been infested.

While I agree that Disney is definitely more vigilent about cleanliness than other hotels, I doubt it changes the odds much at all.

While it might be a concern, I doubt it has any consideration on any action they take with regards to an infestation.

Agreed. And bed bugs is a misnomer. They can be found in movie theaters, Broadway theaters, bus seats, aiplane seats, etc.

Most bed bug infestations of hotels is a result of guests bringing them in. Disney isn't imune.

10. JeffH

JeffH Active Member

I've been talking about head lice

Phonedave was right, I was thinking of head-lice, cooties, like the ones depicted on that SouthPark episode...I have yet encountered bed bugs and know nothing about them...
    I will edit my posts correcting my ignorance...
    Lice Capades (Season 11, Episode 3) - South Park
    An infestation of head lice plagues South Park Elementary.
    THIS is what my daughter had...

NOTE: I WAS THINKING OF HEADLICE, and the nits (I THOUGHT THEY WERE THE SAME THING, MY BAD)...disregard my posts as far as bed-bugs go...