pop century bed bugs!?

steviej

I booked a trip this week at pop century, 6 days, 5 nights. And when checking out trip reviews, I saw one, posted yesterday about bed bugs!? I remember a bed bug epidemic about 2 years ago, I don't know if I should cancel or what, I'm going on vacation to relax, not stress out over bed bugs and stuff. :cry: and I got such an amazing rate too. opinions?

Phonedave

We had an incident with bed-bugs last year...I detected them, know how and why my dd got them and got rid of them (quickly), and to do so read everything about them.
Generally speaking what I concluded was correct.

Originally I wrote all the details of this incident, but decided it was too much and too complicated...all I needed was to make the general conclusion. My ex-wife allowed my dd to get away with not washing her hair so when she 'picked-them-up' from a friend at the Boys and Girls club they were allowed to nest and went undetected until I took her on vacation (ironically to a Hilton timeshare sales stay), detected them and eradicated them.

One thing a Disney room has working against it compared to a cheap place is it's rooms are constantly filled which allow bed-bugs to complete their (short) life-cycle, while at a cheap hotel a room might go vacant for a few days killing the bed-bugs (when it can't complete it's life-cycle).

Beg bugs do not nest in hair. They live in small dark places - behind baseboard, under the carpet, in the wall, etc. They come out at night to feed (on people)

They may travel in your hair / luggage / clothes etc. but they do not live on people.

A bed bug only feeds about once a week, but they can go for over a year without feeding if necessary - so I don't know where you are getting you information about high turnover rate hotels from. Not to mention that they will search out other sources of food if necessary (i.e. move from room to room)

Are you sure you are not talking about head lice? Head lice do live in your hair (however dirty hair has nothing to do with it, in fact clean hair makes getting lice easier). Head lice also have a shorter life cycle and need to feed more frequently. Removing a host from the area can treat lice infestations in items such as bedding (but then so will hot washing and drying or simple vaccuming)

-dave

Upvote 0

NYwdwfan

We had an incident with bed-bugs last year...I detected them, know how and why my dd got them and got rid of them (quickly), and to do so read everything about them.

Originally I wrote all the details of this incident, but decided it was too much and too complicated...all I needed was to make the general conclusion. My ex-wife allowed my dd to get away with not washing her hair so when she 'picked-them-up' from a friend at the Boys and Girls club they were allowed to nest and went undetected until I took her on vacation (ironically to a Hilton timeshare sales stay), detected them and eradicated them.

One thing a Disney room has working against it compared to a cheap place is it's rooms are constantly filled which allow bed-bugs to complete their (short) life-cycle, while at a cheap hotel a room might go vacant for a few days killing the bed-bugs (when it can't complete it's life-cycle).

It's misinformation like this that fuels the frenzy.

Upvote 0

tigsmom

Beg bugs do not nest in hair. They live in small dark places - behind baseboard, under the carpet, in the wall, etc. They come out at night to feed (on people)

They may travel in your hair / luggage / clothes etc. but they do not live on people.

A bed bug only feeds about once a week, but they can go for over a year without feeding if necessary - so I don't know where you are getting you information about high turnover rate hotels from. Not to mention that they will search out other sources of food if necessary (i.e. move from room to room)

Are you sure you are not talking about head lice? Head lice do live in your hair (however dirty hair has nothing to do with it, in fact clean hair makes getting lice easier). Head lice also have a shorter life cycle and need to feed more frequently. Removing a host from the area can treat lice infestations in items such as bedding (but then so will hot washing and drying or simple vaccuming)

-dave

My thoughts as well

It's misinformation like this that fuels the frenzy.

Have to agree here and why I suggested he read a bit more

Upvote 0

Lisalyn

Are you sure you are talking about bed bugs? Sounds to me like you are talking about head lice - they are different. Just wondering!

Upvote 0

LisaB08

Pop Century Bed Bugs

I just stayed at the Pop Century October 10th - 15th. We had a great room. It was in the second building Rm. 1264. Our room faced the bowling ball pool. They had just remodeled our room. It had fresh carpeting, a small dresser and a flat screen tv. A curtain has been added between the room and bathroom sink for privacy. There are hooks to hang things. I tore the bed apart looking for bed bugs. There was nothing. If you are worried, ask for a renovated room or take the covers off the bed and check in the seams. I have been going to Disney since 1997 and usually stay at an All Star or the Pop Century. I have NEVER had a bed bug issue. Don't worry about things you can't control. Bed bugs can show up in the nicest of hotels....The former posting sounds like head lice to me.

Upvote 0

timeman

I wouldn't worry about bed bugs at Pop Century as I was there in August and had no problem. You can get bed bugs from anywhere. They have been reported in the Empire State Building and even the office building that Howard Stern has his office in. The best way to avoid bed bugs is to never leave your house as you can get them anywhere where people go other than that if you have to like other people have said check around the mattress for them in the hotel room and don't leave anything on the floor.

Upvote 0

RonAnnArbor

I also wouldn't worry too much about this at Pop Century. There are no reports at:

http://bedbugregistry.com/

In fact, there are only a dozen or so reports of bedbugs over the past three years at ANY of the Orlando resort hotels, let alone Disney resort hotels...

Granted they might not report every single incident, but the low number is probably pretty accurate.

Upvote 0

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I also wouldn't worry too much about this at Pop Century. There are no reports at:

http://bedbugregistry.com/

In fact, there are only a dozen or so reports of bedbugs over the past three years at ANY of the Orlando resort hotels, let alone Disney resort hotels...

Granted they might not report every single incident, but the low number is probably pretty accurate.

Most bedbugs that I know would NEVER register on a site like that!

Upvote 0

fosse76

Bed bugs are left by guests...
The lack of bed bugs depends on cleanliness of the hotel...
Disney rooms are cleaner than most, and Disney probably attracts a better 'class' of people

No, it doesn't. Like most vacation destinations, it attracts mostly the middle class. Bed bugs do not discriminate based on class. There are luxury apartments in New York that have been infested.

(although they attract more kids, who are mostly responsible for bed-bugs)...so I would think that your odds of bed-bugs are much lower at a Disney hotel...they would just get 'the press' when an incident occurs.

While I agree that Disney is definitely more vigilent about cleanliness than other hotels, I doubt it changes the odds much at all.

And since they are MUCH more subject to getting in 'the press', that in itself would make Disney even MORE careful to avoid bed-bugs.

While it might be a concern, I doubt it has any consideration on any action they take with regards to an infestation.

So I would worry more about the places you stay at on your trip to/from WDW than WDW itself...in fact you probably have a better chance of having them in the house you left (where bed-clothes are not changed out regularly).

Agreed. And bed bugs is a misnomer. They can be found in movie theaters, Broadway theaters, bus seats, aiplane seats, etc.

Personally, the 'incident' probably was a case of someone who already HAD bed-bugs blaming Disney for getting them.

Most bed bug infestations of hotels is a result of guests bringing them in. Disney isn't imune.

Upvote 0

JeffH

I've been talking about head lice

Phonedave was right, I was thinking of head-lice, cooties, like the ones depicted on that SouthPark episode...I have yet encountered bed bugs and know nothing about them...
I will edit my posts correcting my ignorance...
Lice Capades (Season 11, Episode 3) - South Park
An infestation of head lice plagues South Park Elementary.
THIS is what my daughter had...

NOTE: I WAS THINKING OF HEADLICE, and the nits (I THOUGHT THEY WERE THE SAME THING, MY BAD)...disregard my posts as far as bed-bugs go...

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom