Poor Unfortunate Soles: A 2013 Marathon Weekend (5K, Half and Full Marathon) Trip Report!

Another Marathon Weekend at Disney has come to a close. Let me tell you about it!

The cast includes me (Shannon, 28), my husband Will (27), my brother Craig (aka Princess Craiggy, 26), my mom, Kriss, my aunt Laurie, and my mom’s childhood best friend Barb. I got no photo of all 6 of us, and in fact have no photos at all of my mom, aunt or Barb (not my choice). Le sigh. :rolleyes:

Anyhoo, as the title of this report suggests, this year I participated in the 5K, half marathon and full marathon (unofficially known as the Dopey Challenge) during Disney’s Marathon Weekend. Originally this trip was strictly for the Goofy Challenge (the half and full), but the idea of the 5K had been in the back of my mind for a while...eventually I pulled the trigger and signed up in August.

In my previous race reports (for the 2011 Princess Half and the 2012 WDW Full) I rambled on quite a bit about training. This time around I’m going to restrain myself. :) I actually did document my training on a different message board (not sure why I didn’t do it here…I guess I wanted it to be somewhere where I felt more “anonymous.” I’m weird), so if anyone is interested in reading about that, shoot me a PM and I’ll send you the link. Or if anyone wants the Cliff’s Notes version I can post that here too. I will say that I am extremely Type A and was very, very diligent when it came to preparing for these races. I should also warn you that you won’t find any speedy fast times here, but if you’re looking for a somewhat detailed play-by-play of all 3 races with lots of character pictures, you’ve come to the right place. :)

edited-0192.jpg

edited-0194.jpg

4 parks. 3 races. 42.4 miles. Let’s do this!

DisneyFan1003

Shannon...all I have to say is "WOW"! What an accomplishment...I bow to you and your Run Disney bling! Chrissy and I had hoped to do the EE Challenge this spring, but I now have a work trip that weekend, so we'll have to wait for that one.

Excellent report - I always love how you write about the races. Feels like we're running along with you (or riding along while watching you run!). Too bad the running ate up so much of your time in the parks with Will, but that'll make the next trip that much better. Go and relax...enjoy the parks and make a drinking tour around EPCOT the most you walk/run for the weekend! :)

Congrats again on hitting that goal...something to be proud of (and to rub in the face of the people who told you that your training was wrong!!)

Thanks for sharing!

PartOfYourWorld

Yeah, it's funny how quickly we forget the pain of those Disney races. :p I think you'll like the Princess - BUT - be aware that it's gotten incredibly crowded over the last few years. Definitely make sure to try to get in as high a corral as possible.

No, I like my camera way too much to subject it to a race like that. I'd sweat all over it and probably end up dropping it at some point...plus it's hard enough just running, add in carrying a big DSLR and I'd probably collapse. :p

hahaha I know all that pain and then a month later..."I want to go farther! I want to do more!" Oh Disney...what you do to us :D I will definitely keep that in mind though. For the 10-miler I was in Corral B so hopefully I can get a time good enough for the PRincess to get in B or at least C.

I don't blame you. Thats what first came to my mind, but I just had to ask because you'repictures came out really good!

Kandi

TONGA TOAST!

edited-0363.jpg

Now, certain food things (yep, food things...food items?) at Disney are so overhyped that by the time I get to try them I am disappointed (i.e. - and flame me all you want for saying this - Dole whips and Boma)...but OMG. This stuff totally lives up to the hype. It was soooooo good. I think it flirts with being a little too sweet (especially with the strawberry sauce) but wow, it was awesome. I think the key for my liking it is that the banana flavor isn't too over-powering, because I don't normally like bananas mixed with other things...but this was incredibly delicious. On a normal day I don't know that I would be able to finish the entire portion by myself, but after the half I wolfed it down, no problem. And this is a weird thing to say, but I was quite excited about the bacon. I feel like most bacon on Disney property is thin and, well, kind of crappy...but the Kona bacon was thick and quite good!

Everyone agreed that the food at Kona was fantastic, but the meal took a long time. I really think Kona was caught off-guard with the post-race crowds and wasn't prepared to handle it, so everything was just a little slow. And my family was being a little, well...difficult o_O...so Will and I decided that we needed an afternoon alone.

We paid the check, said TTFN to the fam (who were planning on heading to the Magic Kingdom for the day) and headed out to the Polynesian bus stop. To the Studios!

After our long brunch we arrived at the Studios at about 1:15.
edited-0365.jpg

edited-0366.jpg

The Studios is our least-favorite park (we're determined to explore it more fully on our next trip because we're sure there’s more to love that we just haven't yet discovered) but we had a couple of things we wanted to do here that wouldn't take very long, so it seemed like a good pick for the afternoon in between the races.

First on the list, one of our favorite things to do at WDW...drawing class!
edited-0367.jpg

We got in line right before being let in to the class. The animator was one we've had before (she helped us draw Minnie in June 2011) and I think she's just so darn cute. She makes a big speech before the class about how everyone's drawings are good and there's no eraser on the pencil so don't get frustrated and how we want to make a messy, sloppy sketch, etc. It's adorable and makes me want to hug her. She'd make a great kindergarten teacher.

edited-0369.jpg

Just like last year, she had the character we were going to draw picked out ahead of time and wanted us to start drawing without knowing who it was. Whoever guessed the character would get the animator's drawing once class was over. One girl right in the front of the room was NOT happy about having a pre-picked character. For whatever reason she thought that SHE should be able to pick who we draw. Um...how about shut up and let the class get started?! :mad: Eventually the animator whispered the character to the girl and she was like, "Oh, that’s a good one...I approve!" So obnoxious.

So then the animator draws one line on the sheet of paper and the guy next to me yells out, "STITCH!" like he's able to guess who the character is already. He wasn't right...yet he continued to guess STITCH every few minutes. Seriously, 5-6 times. It went from being funny the first time to making me want to stick my pencil - with no eraser! - right into my eye.

I ended up using my pencil for drawing only and I present to you…Dale!
photo.JPG

And I came away from class asking myself the same question I have after each drawing class I've attended...why is it so hard to draw a circle?? WHY?? :confused:

So far in class we've drawn Pluto, Minnie, and now Dale. I think this class is such a fun activity and really a perfect example of something you can only get at Disney. It's really one of the highlights of the trip for us each time we participate.

After class we checked the wait for Toy Story Mania (too long...shocker! :eek:) and headed to Sunset Boulevard for the best ride EVER...the Tower of Terror. I think we waited about 15 minutes. It was awesome as usual, but I am ashamed to admit that after that one ride I was DONE. :oops: I needed a nap, pronto.

We made one last stop before leaving the Studios - Starring Rolls to purchase our third and final cupcake of the weekend :D - and caught a bus back to the Grand Floridian. Before going back to the room I showed Will where the race course passed the Grand Floridian in case he wanted to watch part of the marathon. When we got to the room I took a glorious nap. Ahhhh. I think Will alternated between playing on his phone and dozing off as well during this little break.
I think we were in the same drawing class because i totally remember the guy yelling out Stitch a dozen times and we drew Dale aswell!!!

tiaragirl

I loved this TR! Like many others, I'm not a runner but I love these running reports.. I know my friend Lauren hopes to run the Princess at some point. Maybe if she waits 5 years I'll be ready, too!

So glad you got through it relatively unscathed. And glad Will is up for doing Everest!

Ariel484

Original Poster
Shannon...all I have to say is "WOW"! What an accomplishment...I bow to you and your Run Disney bling! Chrissy and I had hoped to do the EE Challenge this spring, but I now have a work trip that weekend, so we'll have to wait for that one.
Thanks Mike! Ugh, I hate when work gets in the way of a Disney trip. :D I hope you guys get to do the EE Challenge next year. Maybe we'll see you there!
Excellent report - I always love how you write about the races. Feels like we're running along with you (or riding along while watching you run!). Too bad the running ate up so much of your time in the parks with Will, but that'll make the next trip that much better. Go and relax...enjoy the parks and make a drinking tour around EPCOT the most you walk/run for the weekend! :)
Glad you liked the report. Yeah, the lack of park time hit us a little hard than we expected, but I think it's just made us that much more excited for the next trip. I like your idea of Drinking Around the World as our run/walk for the weekend! It'll probably be a lot more enjoyable than the last time I made my way around World Showcase (Mile 26...) :D
Congrats again on hitting that goal...something to be proud of (and to rub in the face of the people who told you that your training was wrong!!)

Thanks for sharing!
Thanks for reading, Mike! :)
hahaha I know all that pain and then a month later..."I want to go farther! I want to do more!" Oh Disney...what you do to us :D I will definitely keep that in mind though. For the 10-miler I was in Corral B so hopefully I can get a time good enough for the PRincess to get in B or at least C.
I know, runDisney keeps sucking us right back in, don't they?! :D From reading a bit online about how the Princess Half went this year, it sounds a lot like what I experienced during the half in January - crazy, crazy crowded. I really think runDisney needs to consider lowering the caps on these races - the courses get so narrow in portions (i.e. in the parks and some areas outside of the parks where we only had one lane of traffic - ONE! - to run in) that it really cannot handle a crowd of 25,000+. If the sizes of these races keep increasing it just won't be enjoyable anymore, and might actually border on being unsafe. But in reality I can't see them cutting down the number of participants when they are still selling out every race even as the registration prices increase year after year...

Just for reference, I was in Corral C this year with a 10-mile time of 1:39ish (9:55/mile pace or something like that). I think I could have made a case at the expo for being moved up into Corral B - not sure why I didn't but I kind of wish I'd tried just to see what happened. Of course corral placement depends a lot on who else in the race did or did not submit times - I'm sure it's different for every race. Then you have to throw in the new variable of people essentially paying for corral placement (i.e. by joining the Runner's World training program where they automatically get placed in B o_O) which messes things up :rolleyes: ...whoops went off on a mini- race size/corral placement rant there, sorry! :p I just got a little disheartened reading about the Princess Half and seeing the EXACT same issues I mentioned in my half marathon wrap-up a few pages back (too crowded, lack of race etiquette, etc.). It was disappointing to see that these problems really were not one-time things and makes me wonder how these races are going to be in a few years...
I don't blame you. Thats what first came to my mind, but I just had to ask because you'repictures came out really good!
Thanks! :D I'm very happy with my little point-and-shoot...it's done a good job!
I think we were in the same drawing class because i totally remember the guy yelling out Stitch a dozen times and we drew Dale aswell!!!
Really?! That's so funny! That class was an experience, huh? Right before someone correctly guessed who we were drawing my husband said that he thought it was Chip (I think I was convinced it was Donald...not quite right o_O)...close but no cigar.
I loved this TR! Like many others, I'm not a runner but I love these running reports.. I know my friend Lauren hopes to run the Princess at some point. Maybe if she waits 5 years I'll be ready, too!

So glad you got through it relatively unscathed. And glad Will is up for doing Everest!
Thanks Kenzie! I bet you and Lauren would have a blast running the Princess Half together. How fun would that be?! Start training! :D

Yep, recovery from this beast of a weekend wasn't too bad. Whew! I think Will really likes the obstacle course part of the EE5K...and the promise of getting a cool compass medal doesn't hurt either. :D Hopefully he won't change his mind when it comes time to register!

PartOfYourWorld

I know, runDisney keeps sucking us right back in, don't they?! :D From reading a bit online about how the Princess Half went this year, it sounds a lot like what I experienced during the half in January - crazy, crazy crowded. I really think runDisney needs to consider lowering the caps on these races - the courses get so narrow in portions (i.e. in the parks and some areas outside of the parks where we only had one lane of traffic - ONE! - to run in) that it really cannot handle a crowd of 25,000+. If the sizes of these races keep increasing it just won't be enjoyable anymore, and might actually border on being unsafe. But in reality I can't see them cutting down the number of participants when they are still selling out every race even as the registration prices increase year after year...

Just for reference, I was in Corral C this year with a 10-mile time of 1:39ish (9:55/mile pace or something like that). I think I could have made a case at the expo for being moved up into Corral B - not sure why I didn't but I kind of wish I'd tried just to see what happened. Of course corral placement depends a lot on who else in the race did or did not submit times - I'm sure it's different for every race. Then you have to throw in the new variable of people essentially paying for corral placement (i.e. by joining the Runner's World training program where they automatically get placed in B o_O) which messes things up :rolleyes: ...whoops went off on a mini- race size/corral placement rant there, sorry! :p I just got a little disheartened reading about the Princess Half and seeing the EXACT same issues I mentioned in my half marathon wrap-up a few pages back (too crowded, lack of race etiquette, etc.). It was disappointing to see that these problems really were not one-time things and makes me wonder how these races are going to be in a few years...

I know what you mean about narrow courses...running through the woods during the 10-miler was insane...that was ONE lane of traffic and I think the cap was only 10,000. I hope they change that portion of the course this year. I hope they don't add any more to the capacity of the races if they are not going to widen the course. And about that price increase...I couldn't BELIEVE the price for the 10-miler this year...$135?? I paid $90 when I signed up right away....that's just insane....

Oh really?? Yuck. my 10-miler time was about 2:19 so based on that I'd probably be towards the back...and really those people just get to join in B? That's not fair at all...Maybe just because they were special anniversary races this year it was really packed...hopefully it's not as bad next year? I guess it's something to hope for!

Ariel484

Original Poster
I know what you mean about narrow courses...running through the woods during the 10-miler was insane...that was ONE lane of traffic and I think the cap was only 10,000. I hope they change that portion of the course this year. I hope they don't add any more to the capacity of the races if they are not going to widen the course. And about that price increase...I couldn't BELIEVE the price for the 10-miler this year...$135?? I paid $90 when I signed up right away....that's just insane....
Yikes...one lane through the woods at night?! o_O Were people tripping?

Yeah, I saw the price hike for the 10-miler...INSANE. Probably a good indication that the Disneyland 10K (which started at $95) is going to jump up to a similar amount, maybe more. I still think the craziest one is the Expedition Everest 5K for $110...FOR A 5K. Definitely makes the marathon look like a bargain at $150 for early registration this year.
Oh really?? Yuck. my 10-miler time was about 2:19 so based on that I'd probably be towards the back...and really those people just get to join in B? That's not fair at all...Maybe just because they were special anniversary races this year it was really packed...hopefully it's not as bad next year? I guess it's something to hope for!
If you really want to move up your corral placement, I'd suggest finding a 10K race in your area - it'll be a cheap way for you to get a decent time to submit to Disney. Personally, my race times at Disney are significantly slower than what I do while racing at home (example: my "Disney PR [Personal Record]" for the half marathon is the one in January - 2:57ish [13:35 pace]...but my "real" half marathon PR is from a race I did in November at home, which I ran in about 2:13 [10:12 pace]). So whenever I submit a time to Disney for corral placement it's never a time from a Disney race.

Yes, they did get to start in Corral B. The very first thing that is listed as being included in the package is "Entry to the 20th anniversary Walt Disney World Marathon, Half Marathon, or Goofy's Race and a Half Challenge with preferred corral placement." I just don't get this - why make the rest of us submit times when other people who don't belong in Corral B are paying for that spot? :confused: I'll be curious to hear reports from the races next year as to whether or not the crowds are a little better.

PartOfYourWorld

Yikes...one lane through the woods at night?! o_O Were people tripping?

Yeah, I saw the price hike for the 10-miler...INSANE. Probably a good indication that the Disneyland 10K (which started at $95) is going to jump up to a similar amount, maybe more. I still think the craziest one is the Expedition Everest 5K for $110...FOR A 5K. Definitely makes the marathon look like a bargain at $150 for early registration this year.

If you really want to move up your corral placement, I'd suggest finding a 10K race in your area - it'll be a cheap way for you to get a decent time to submit to Disney. Personally, my race times at Disney are significantly slower than what I do while racing at home (example: my "Disney PR [Personal Record]" for the half marathon is the one in January - 2:57ish [13:35 pace]...but my "real" half marathon PR is from a race I did in November at home, which I ran in about 2:13 [10:12 pace]). So whenever I submit a time to Disney for corral placement it's never a time from a Disney race.

Yes, they did get to start in Corral B. The very first thing that is listed as being included in the package is "Entry to the 20th anniversary Walt Disney World Marathon, Half Marathon, or Goofy's Race and a Half Challenge with preferred corral placement." I just don't get this - why make the rest of us submit times when other people who don't belong in Corral B are paying for that spot? :confused: I'll be curious to hear reports from the races next year as to whether or not the crowds are a little better.

I mean you could fit two peolple but then you were running really close to the trees I felt. And I didn't personally see anyone trip, but anyone could have easily if you were careful. luckily it was mostly a dirt trail through the woods.

WOW $110 for the 5K? thats nuts. Would be cool to do one year though.

Hmmm that's how I got placed in corral B for the 10-miler I ran a 10K with like an 11 and change minute pace. I'll have to look into doing the same one in June. Or see if there is another one later in the year.

It doesn't make any sense why they would make us do that and not others...everyone should have to.

Banzai

Finished up reading the Marathon part of the report this morning. I'm just so darn impressed with the moxie it takes to do all of that. The physical, mental and emotional challen ges are pretty impressive. Serious props.

Ariel484

Original Poster
Thanks for the detail in that report. All of these reports add a lot to the database for us rookies. You guys are awesome.
Hey, thanks for reading! :) I know what you mean about how helpful race weekend trip reports can be...I didn't even know Disney had races until I read a trip report about the marathon on WDWMagic!
Finished up reading the Marathon part of the report this morning. I'm just so darn impressed with the moxie it takes to do all of that. The physical, mental and emotional challen ges are pretty impressive. Serious props.
The moxie...I like that! Thanks for the props...definitely one of the most challenging and rewarding experiences of my life so far!

There aren't many Wine & Dine trip reports on our boards here (I don't think) but check out this one from Hollybelle/Holly. It's from 2011 and it's got good info on the Wine & Dine weekend as a whole.

FlaggNL

Great running TR! Love all the pictures and all the characters during your races! I big salut for you, I never ever will do these races, although 5k would be an option :)

Ariel484

Original Poster
I ran the Half! I'm training for the ToT 10-miler and the 10K in January! The Half was my first long distance run.
Oops, forgot to reply to this one! :rolleyes: Sorry about that! What's up next for you?
Great running TR! Love all the pictures and all the characters during your races! I big salut for you, I never ever will do these races, although 5k would be an option :)
Thank you! Haha, gotta get those character pictures! You should definitely look into doing a 5K at Disney, they're so much fun! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom