Polynesian Resort questions

jeffk410

Original Poster
Hey all--

I was lucky enough to secure a DVC Polynesian studio this morn for May 2nd-9th, needless to say I am very excited. However, I am not very familiar with the poly at all and do have quite a few questions:

• All of the construction will be complete by then correct? It looks like the answer is yes, but the actual Disney site is a bit ambiguous (it says through spring 2015).

• I just read on the wdwmagic page that the resort does not have a hot tub – this is quite devastating as it is one of my favorite parts of the trip. Does the new refurbishment include a hot tub? Any suggestions here?

• I’ve been to Kona café and thoroughly enjoyed it, but any other must do restaurants or Polynesian activities? We tend to do a sit-down meal every day, but only one signature meal. I have Jiko booked, but now that we will be in the MK resort area I am thinking of changing it.

Appreciate all the tips and advice I can get!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Hi Jeff,

The construction *may* be complete by your vacation. I was at the resort a couple weeks ago and the main pool refurbishment still looks like it has a LONG way to go. Granted, May is still a couple months away but I was also at the resort in mid-November and the pool construction looked about the same as it did this month. The new pool area is a massive undertaking, with expansion of the pool deck, a kiddie water play area and the addition of a hot tub (so you will be golden if it is completed in time for your stay.)

I read that once the main pool reopens, the quiet pool will close for refurbishment, so there will be construction there at some point.

Trader Sam's has not opened yet, no date has been announced.

'Ohana is a very popular dinner at the Poly, but we have been disappointed on our last two visits (rushed service and poor quality food) and have had better luck with Kona, both at breakfast and dinner. Capt. Cooks (the quick service restaurant) is fine. And if you enjoy Dole Whips, the Pineapple Lanai is right outside the Great Ceremonial House. The Spirit of Aloha dinner show is located in Luau Cove.

The Tambu Lounge has some yummy tropical drinks, including the potent Lapu Lapu.

The resort also offers activities for children like hula lessons or lei-making. There is a nightly movie and marshmallow roast on the beach. And you can rent boats from the marina for a zippy ride around the lagoon.

I have toured a model Poly studio room and it is very nice! You will have a great stay. :)

Last edited:

jeffk410

Original Poster
Hi Jeff,

The construction *may* be complete by your vacation. I was at the resort a couple weeks ago and the main pool refurbishment still looks like it has a LONG way to go. Granted, May is still a couple months away but I was also at the resort in mid-November and the pool construction looked about the same as it did this month. The new pool area is a massive undertaking, with expansion of the pool deck, a kiddie water play area and the addition of a hot tub (so you will be golden if it is completed in time for your stay.)

I read that once the main pool reopens, the quiet pool will close for refurbishment, so there will be construction there at some point.

Trader Joe's has not opened yet, no date has been announced.

'Ohana is a very popular dinner at the Poly, but we have been disappointed on our last two visits (rushed service and poor quality food) and have had better luck with Kona, both at breakfast and dinner. Capt. Cooks (the quick service restaurant) is fine. And if you enjoy Dole Whips, the Pineapple Lanai is right outside the Great Ceremonial House. The Spirit of Aloha dinner show is located in Luau Cove.

The Tambu Lounge has some yummy tropical drinks, including the potent Lapu Lapu.

The resort also offers activities for children like hula lessons or lei-making. There is a nightly movie and marshmallow roast on the beach. And you can rent boats from the marina for a zippy ride around the lagoon.

I have toured a model Poly studio room and it is very nice! You will have a great stay. :)

Thanks a lot for your thoughtful response. I probably should have researched this beforehand, but I just assumed that since DVC rooms would be opening the construction would be close to 100% complete. And now I am a little bit worried about whether or not this was a wise choice.

If the main pool remains closed is there an alternate pool or only the quiet pool? Was the quiet pool swamped during your last trip?

I know it must seem like I am placing a lot of emphasis on the pool/hot tub, but I've been to the world more times than I can count and after this winter Boston is having I am in dire need of pool time.

Last edited:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
If the main pool is still closed, you will receive free admission to Blizzard Beach for one day during your stay.

The weather was cold during my last two visits so I don't know how crowded the quiet pool was (probably not very, LOL).

R W B

Look into 'Ohana for dinner I'd suggest. We ate their our last trip and I thought it was pretty good. Adult beverages were best on the property, bartenders were on point with each drink every night. Best part was we scheduled a late reservation and it just so happen that we were able to watch the fireworks from MK at dinner.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Thanks a lot for your thoughtful response. I probably should have researched this beforehand, but I just assumed that since DVC rooms would be opening the construction would be close to 100% complete. And now I am a little bit worried about whether or not this was a wise choice.

If the main pool remains closed is there an alternate pool or only the quiet pool? Was the quiet pool swamped during your last trip?

I know it must seem like I am placing a lot of emphasis on the pool/hot tub, but I've been to the world more times than I can count and after this winter Boston is having I am in dire need of pool time.
If pool time is super important, and you are looking to dodge construction, I suggest switching resorts. Maybe Beach Club? The poly isn't going anywhere and there's always next time, when everything will be open.

jeffk410

Original Poster
If pool time is super important, and you are looking to dodge construction, I suggest switching resorts. Maybe Beach Club? The poly isn't going anywhere and there's always next time, when everything will be open.

I doubt Beach club is available, but isn't it under refurb now too? I thought I read that somewhere .

Polydweller

The official opening date for the main pool is listed as April 1. There had been talk of slippage of that time but that seems to be diminishing and it seems very probable that the construction will be done by the time you get there. They are supposed to do a refurb of the quiet pool after the main pool after the main pool is finished. All other construction should be done.

As for the hot tub, that was to be included with the reconstruction of the main pool so it should be there.

jeffk410

Original Poster
The official opening date for the main pool is listed as April 1. There had been talk of slippage of that time but that seems to be diminishing and it seems very probable that the construction will be done by the time you get there. They are supposed to do a refurb of the quiet pool after the main pool after the main pool is finished. All other construction should be done.

As for the hot tub, that was to be included with the reconstruction of the main pool so it should be there.

This would be the perfect news - I hope it holds true!

DisneyDaver

I have Jiko booked, but now that we will be in the MK resort area I am thinking of changing it.

Jiko has great food with unique flavors. I would highly recommend keeping it. We go there on the day we are at AK ... AKL is a 5 min bus ride from the park.

That said, if you want to change to a MK area resort signature, I recommend California Grill as my first choice and Narcoossee's as my second choice.

jeffk410

Original Poster
Jiko has great food with unique flavors. I would highly recommend keeping it. We go there on the day we are at AK ... AKL is a 5 min bus ride from the park.

That said, if you want to change to a MK area resort signature, I recommend California Grill as my first choice and Narcoossee's as my second choice.

Thanks for your advice. I have actually been to Cali Grill a few times and am aiming to try something new. I think I'll keep Jiko sig as it is something i've wanted to do for a while. I looked into Narcoossee's, but was a bit ambivalent about switching from Jiko.

Last edited:

jeffk410

Original Poster
I'm in the process of solidifying my ADRS and another question came up. What is the quickest route to Epcot? Walk to TTC and take the monorail?

Thanks all

Last edited:

DisneyDebNJ

Hi Jeff,

Trader Sam's has not opened yet, no date has been announced.

We are HUGE fans of the Poly. Even visited last Fall during the bulk of construction and still had a fabulous time. The pool construction is suppose to be done by April 1, as long as weather isn't a factor, but by May you should be good to go. We have been to 'Ohana many times, and last year, our experience wasn't as stellar as in the past. I'm thinking it was just a bad night. Tambu Lounge is wonderful, Walter will take great care of you! Lapu Lapu is my fav... tell Walter to add a side car of Malibu and tell him Deb from Jersey said "told ya it was good!!" LOL Kona, I have always preferred for breakfast, it's our first meal every trip, but I haven't been to Kona for dinner since 2010. Spirit of Aloha is another venue I haven't been to since the 90s, was kind of 'did it once' experiences for us. No one knows whats going on with the quiet pool, hopefully, that refurb won't be too long. Our fav Longhouses have always been Hawaii (club level, garden view) and Raratonga (close to the GFC and all modes of transporation, with the exception of the boat launch) We do the *water mice* or searaycers every year and love them. The Poly rooms are very spacious, and like @Tuvalu pointed out, the DVC studio room is not what the standard hotel rooms are. The rooms at the Poly are some of the largest on Disney property. Try to request a room on the 3rd floor, the spacious balconies are perfect for starting or ending your Disney day. Have fun!!!!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom