Polynesian Resort Art (Wondering about some pieces that disappeared after the redesign)

Beacon Joe

Original Poster
Calling CMs, Tikiman, or anybody else who may know such things.

There was a large and gorgeously carved mahogany Maori canoe prow that used to grace the second floor in the Grand Ceremonial House. It's one of my favorite pieces from Oceanic Arts Studios,and the carving work was impressive.

oa_gal-maori-prow630.jpg

oa_gal-maoriprow-detail410.jpg

Similarly, there was a large kapa cloth displayed near the elevator bank.

Does anybody know the fate of these pieces? Are they in storage, sold, or on display elsewhere?

Spike-in-Berlin

Some decorations that were removed from the GCH for the "defurbishing" that changed the traditional Poly into the present "Honolulu Hilton" are at present in areas which are only for CMs. Perhaps they are one of those.

ryguy

The gems are the room wall art from the late 70's early 80's they are very rare and worth a good chuck of change. They kinda had a Mary Blair feel to them. If I remember right one was a map of WDW property that used to hang on the wall in rooms. Others had pictures of Polynesian children like in small world.

Beacon Joe

Original Poster
Some decorations that were removed from the GCH for the "defurbishing" that changed the traditional Poly into the present "Honolulu Hilton" are at present in areas which are only for CMs. Perhaps they are one of those.

I hope so. The prow is something worthy of display and I hope it's at least someplace where it can be appreciated.

Maeryk

The prow is one of a kind and a classic from a carving outfit with a pretty substantial following. I hate to think that it ended up there.

It wouldn't. And I don't see them ditching something like that either. A lot of the oceanic stuff actually goes back to Oceanic. They have vintage Poly signs for sale in their Ca warehouse, and some old tikis as well. (The traditional ones, not the boutiki style).

I seem to remember a plaque on the prow that said it was on loan.. so maybe it went back to whomever loaned it?

Beacon Joe

Original Poster
I didn't know that they had old Poly stuff in their warehouse. Definitely not in their standard price list... I guess I'll be making a call to see what Poly collectibles they may have. Will make meeting the $100 order minimum a lot easier. :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom