POLY, which longhouse?

twinfo3728

Original Poster
Hello all! We are staying in October at the Polynesian. We are requesting a king bed. My question is which house with a king bed, do you think is better? We are traveling with our 7 DS.

Here it the info from Tikiman:
"Only found in first and third floors of the Samoa, Niue, Rarotonga and Fiji. No club level, lagoon or theme park view."

We have stayed in Tokelau and enjoyed it. Opinions on the new king rooms are welcome also.

Thank you in advance!
Apologies if this has already been talked about.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Of those 4 longhouses, Fiji has the prettiest views. One side of the building looks over the marina, the other side over a quiet beach.
Samoa overlooks the volcano pool on one side and the quiet pool on the other. Rooms facing the volcano pool tend to be noisy.
Niue is the smallest longhouse and very centrally located. Garden views both sides and very quiet.
Rarotonga also is centrally located and some rooms overlook the monorail.

I believe all the longhouses are due to be finished with refurbs by your visit.

DisneyDebNJ

Of those 4 longhouses, Fiji has the prettiest views. One side of the building looks over the marina, the other side over a quiet beach.
Samoa overlooks the volcano pool on one side and the quiet pool on the other. Rooms facing the volcano pool tend to be noisy.
Niue is the smallest longhouse and very centrally located. Garden views both sides and very quiet.
Rarotonga also is centrally located and some rooms overlook the monorail.

I believe all the longhouses are due to be finished with refurbs by your visit.
This ^^^^ Niue is close to the Great Ceremonial House, as is Rarotonga, but we always lucked out with a pool *side* with Niue, but as @Tuvalu pointed out, Rarotonga also could have views of the monorail. There really isnt a bad longhouse at the Poly :)

twinfo3728

Original Poster
Thanks for all the great info! I think we may request the Rarotonga because of the monorail view (which i hadn't thought about :)) for our son plus it is nicely located near the Great Ceremonial house and not too far from the TTC. Thanks for the input to all!

tikiman

I agree with the above poster that Fiji has the best view out of the 4 but the location for me is what puts it second place if I were picking a location. It is just my opinion and I know many that do not agree but when I was over in Tuvalu (next to Fiji) I hated walking around the marina to go to the pools and boat. Samoa would have been my favorite location. They only time there is much noise is the middle of the day during the kids activities but with the doors closed it is not that loud. Also the king bed rooms are not facing the volcano pool. It has nice views of the pools and is located close to the pools, beach, boat and GCH. Niue would not be a bad location but the king bed in that building is a handicap accessible room with a roll in shower. Fiji has king beds but all except one face the luau side.

Epicpilot

I agree with the above poster that Fiji has the best view out of the 4 but the location for me is what puts it second place if I were picking a location. It is just my opinion and I know many that do not agree but when I was over in Tuvalu (next to Fiji) I hated walking around the marina to go to the pools and boat. Samoa would have been my favorite location. They only time there is much noise is the middle of the day during the kids activities but with the doors closed it is not that loud. Also the king bed rooms are not facing the volcano pool. It has nice views of the pools and is located close to the pools, beach, boat and GCH. Niue would not be a bad location but the king bed in that building is a handicap accessible room with a roll in shower. Fiji has king beds but all except one face the luau side.
How has Disney not hired you yet!?!?! And I thought I knew a lot about the Poly :eek:

tikiman

How has Disney not hired you yet!?!?! And I thought I knew a lot about the Poly :eek:

I think some at Disney would rather see me go away. They don't like their secrets getting out. Unfortunately there is so much turn over at the resorts that very few are ever trained well and they don't know much about the resort. Not their fault if managment does not teach them about it.

twinfo3728

Original Poster
I think some at Disney would rather see me go away. They don't like their secrets getting out. Unfortunately there is so much turn over at the resorts that very few are ever trained well and they don't know much about the resort. Not their fault if managment does not teach them about it.
Well I for one, thrive on information and love that you and others share your information and knowledge. After all, it costs a lot to go the WDW and we hope to get everything we can out of it. All the info in greatly appreciated!

twinfo3728

Original Poster
I stayed at Rarotonga in the new king bed, first floor room. Omg. Loved it. I wanted to live there. :) Bed was extremely comfy, the couch was too... and I fell asleep in the chair. Twice.

So uh, yeah. The new rooms are awesome.
Great to hear! Cannot wait to see them and hopefully get a King Room!

tikiman

Great to hear! Cannot wait to see them and hopefully get a King Room!

Make sure you book a king bed room. It is a bookable category. I don't expect you will see it on the official web site until next year but when I was given the info about the king beds coming in the new design I was told it could be booked at no difference in charge.

twinfo3728

Original Poster
I did request one after I had to tell the agent it was actually available, LOL. I hope I actually get one. I will call again a few weeks before we leave to verify.
Do you know if the king bed in Rarotango face the monorail and which floor? It may be nice to see the monorail. My 7 year old son loves it! Plus we love going to EPCOT so the location may work well for us.
Thanks!

tikiman

I did request one after I had to tell the agent it was actually available, LOL. I hope I actually get one. I will call again a few weeks before we leave to verify.
Do you know if the king bed in Rarotango face the monorail and which floor? It may be nice to see the monorail. My 7 year old son loves it! Plus we love going to EPCOT so the location may work well for us.
Thanks!

Request is different than booking. That would be like requesting a lagoon view instead of booking one but I think since this is a new category putting in the request will be fine. In the future I am sure it will be easier just to book a king bed if available for the dates and you will be assured one. King beds in Rarotonga are on both sides of the building (1st and 3rd floor) with most of them on the pool side. I will be making new floor plans of the longhouse showing these but you can see the room numbers and locations on this page. See numbers on the right side and click “floor plan” for the map.
http://www.tikimanpages.com/tiki/quick-longhouses/quick-rarotonga

twinfo3728

Original Poster
Request is different than booking. That would be like requesting a lagoon view instead of booking one but I think since this is a new category putting in the request will be fine. In the future I am sure it will be easier just to book a king bed if available for the dates and you will be assured one. King beds in Rarotonga are on both sides of the building (1st and 3rd floor) with most of them on the pool side. I will be making new floor plans of the longhouse showing these but you can see the room numbers and locations on this page. See numbers on the right side and click “floor plan” for the map.
http://www.tikimanpages.com/tiki/quick-longhouses/quick-rarotonga

Then I will call them again and make sure to add it to my booking and not just a request. I think it was so new when I called in March, they either didn't know how to handle it or it wasn't on their computer screen. As always you have great Poly information. Thanks tikiman!

bethymouse

I like Samoa, but it was being refurbed.:( We stayed at Aeoteroa and it was nice, but close to the Luau. You could hear the music. We also had a nice view of the monorail from our "non" balcony.;)

jlsHouston

This is the most current forum I could find on the rooms at the POLY..so I have a few questions based on your experience/expertise. We stayed last thanksgiving in a corner 3rd floor room facing the pool at Samoa. Couldn't have been more perfect... currently booked us the last weekend of our August trip at the POLY and I was wondering where the refurb is going on at currently on the longhouses, or if it is all finished? I also would like input on which longhouse Raratonga, Tahiti, or Tokelau I should request, in your opinion, there are 5 of us 2 adults and 3 kids so the larger rooms kind of sound appealing and I think those longhouses have more square footage... I just booked standard like I did in November so I expect a garden/monorail view which is fine. I liked being close to the ceremonial house... but I wouldn't mind being closer to the beach area even without a water view, or closer to the laundry facility... of course IMO I think the Samoa facing the pool ground level or 3rd level is the best but...I wouldn't mind something different to experience. Thanks!

luv

If I don't have a water view, I like Niue. Niue is close to both pools and the lobby/shops.

I've never seen anyone else say they like that building, though, so I might be the odd man out.

jlsHouston

If I don't have a water view, I like Niue. Niue is close to both pools and the lobby/shops.

I've never seen anyone else say they like that building, though, so I might be the odd man out.

well, I was right next to Niue when we were at Samoa... and it had the location to the ceremonial house, and looked quiet... I think I would want ground floor, I don't remember seeing balconies on it...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom