Poly or Contemporary

Kristopher Rannells

We have stayed at both numerous times and I feel you made the right choice. The cast members at the Poly are so much nicer and go out of their way to make you feel at home. The pool is exponentially better as are the restaurants. The only way I will stay at the CR again is if we have to push a stroller and the majority of our trip will be at the MK. Samoa and Rarotonga were great longhouses if you can get them.

dreday3

We are staying at the Polynesian later this year. It's my first time since 1985. Any changes?

Seriously, I only saw pictures of the remodel and while the old waterfall makes me have nostalgia pangs (which I don't always like), the new lobby looks rather pretty. Open and airy.

And my memory of the pool is of one that's long gone...i can still feel the rock wall on my hand as I climb up the inside stairs to the slide. Stupid nostalgia.

We have stayed at Beach/Yacht Club the last few trips, so really looking forward to the Polynesian!

mdubm

Original Poster
Exactly, great point. For one night, go with a value resort and use the money you save for souvenirs or other goodies.
Because this is a split stay for us. We are doing 4 nights at Yacht club and ending with 1 night at Poly. 4 nights at Yacht club ending with 1 night at a value would SUCK. I hate to say it that way. If it were the other way around, it'd be different, but I'm not going from deluxe to value.

DisneyJunkie

Because this is a split stay for us. We are doing 4 nights at Yacht club and ending with 1 night at Poly. 4 nights at Yacht club ending with 1 night at a value would SUCK. I hate to say it that way. If it were the other way around, it'd be different, but I'm not going from deluxe to value.

Yeah, that makes sense. From your first post, I thought you were only spending one day/night in WDW, and didn't know which place to choose. Personally I don't understand going through the hassle of having to get all packed up and everything to move to another resort in the middle of a trip, but if that's your plan, I'd certainly recommend the Poly. I've stayed there 3 times, including my honeymoon (and later being able to get the same room again by request) and have never had a bad stay there. My only disappointment is what they did with the original lobby.

mdubm

Original Poster
Yeah, that makes sense. From your first post, I thought you were only spending one day/night in WDW, and didn't know which place to choose. Personally I don't understand going through the hassle of having to get all packed up and everything to move to another resort in the middle of a trip, but if that's your plan, I'd certainly recommend the Poly. I've stayed there 3 times, including my honeymoon (and later being able to get the same room again by request) and have never had a bad stay there. My only disappointment is what they did with the original lobby.
I don't like the idea of packing up now as we get closer. I decided, as an after thought, to add a night's stay to our trip, but at that point, YC was booked. We have a 5 day ticket, and only a 4 night stay, so I hated the thought of going to the park for only half a day and then hitting the road to go back home. Poly had a rate of $400, which I don't see often, and may never again, so I splurged and went for it to fulfill my WDW bucket list. After I booked it and read reviews though, people seemed to be on either end of the spectrum: they loved or hated it. I guess we'll give it a shot and decide for ourselves.

Marianm

I don't like the idea of packing up now as we get closer. I decided, as an after thought, to add a night's stay to our trip, but at that point, YC was booked. We have a 5 day ticket, and only a 4 night stay, so I hated the thought of going to the park for only half a day and then hitting the road to go back home. Poly had a rate of $400, which I don't see often, and may never again, so I splurged and went for it to fulfill my WDW bucket list. After I booked it and read reviews though, people seemed to be on either end of the spectrum: they loved or hated it. I guess we'll give it a shot and decide for ourselves.

I haven't stayed there in years, but we visit it a lot when we stay at Contemporary. You'll love it. Though I thought it lost some of its charm when they remodeled it, still one Of my top hotels!

aw14

Have stayed at both, and approaching our 3rd stay at CR. Love both resorts, but if MK is your destination, then to me CR is the way to go. The walk is 7-8 minutes max. That in and of itself is a reason to stay there.

We are staying club level bay lake view. It is a beautiful view. We have also stayed them park view, which is the best view on property imo

JTT

Either way, it's going to be expensive. It's Disney.

I would say the Polynesian. Theming is much better. Rooms are nicer. Restaurant and Snack choices are much better.

For the Contemporary / BLT the only advantage is to be able to walk to the Magic Kingdom. It's vey convenient and I utilized it numerous late nights when the rest of the family had enough.

The BLT theming is nonexistent. The lobby could be an upscale office building anywhere.

Christophero30

I love the Polynesian. I've never stayed there but my sister and I usually stroll the grounds and get a coffee there before going to MK. The 70's motif is part of it's charm.

Tk0021

We loved the Contemporary. We stayed there last year and loved the walk to MK with my two little girls. Also, my one trip to WDW as a kid, we stayed at the Contemporary so it was nice to stay there again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom