Poly needs your $$$

21stamps

So you aren't going to give an item that doesn't exist in a pay system? Because your point relies on everyone playing nice... and they don't. So potential grief and conflict still exisists in a paid system.
Omg this is crazy.

Do you know what one of the most important skills one can have in any type of customer service job? Sales/Finance/Hospitality etc?

Knowing how people think.

It's quite simple. You need to know what and who you are dealing with.
It has been proven that people don't respect time or staking claim when a poly oasis cabana is free.
The way to fix that is implement a LOW COST paid rental system.
Why? Because it has been proven that people have more respect for time when their credit card, and a potential charge for extra time, is on the line.

Why do you think hotels have less items stolen from the rooms as in the past? Or smoking in a rental car? Because your credit card is on file with them, and people know they will be charged. It's all the same.
Money, or the threat of a charge, keeps people in line.

21stamps

I'm sure 21stamps will be the biggest cheerleader when Disney starts offering paid fast passes because it's hard to get them.
No, I purchased Early Morning Magic at MK because I couldn't get a fast pass for mine train. A few dollars was worth not having the stress of continuously trying to get one, or waiting an hour or more in line.

So yeah, I'm glad that Disney offered me an alternative to either one of those scenarios.

rob0519

If they are going to rent the cabanas, then they should go ahead and make them full resort style cabanas with some amenities and services...I would rather spend $80.00 and have a stocked fridge with juices and water, and waiter service for drinks... Hell, I would pay more than that... If you call yourself a world class hotel and charge luxury prices, then I think the services offered, even those that are extra cost, should be up to par with what I would have at another hotel. $40 for a couple chairs under a piece of semi shade is just insulting.

Actually, $40 may be about the same price for a cabana and two chairs at Clearwater Beach. Most beaches in St. Thomas and Tortola charge you $5-$15 per chair. Once you add the stocked fridge and waitstaff, Disney could and probably would push the price closer to $300 or so as they do on Castaway Cay.

njDizFan

Do you run a business? That kind of logic will put you in the poor house.

DIS gives plenty away for free and it doesn't make me go there or buy more stuff. I hang out in the DVC club often, but only when I am in Epcot. It doesn't make me buy anything extra. A cabana is not going to generate any $$$ if it is free. I think they should start charging access to the pool :). Might keep the riff-raff out.

So the idea of perks, discounts, coupons, loyalty programs, giveaways etc is not a common way of increasing revenue? And if Disney started monetizing all that"free stuff" you take advantage of maybe as a smart consumer you would decide that your vacation dollars would be spent better somewhere else.

And yes a free cabana can generate $$$. Each Disney resort has their own internal margins. If the Poly is showing upticks in bookings after announcing free cabana rentals for rack rate guests...guess what, they are making more money. I'm not saying this would happen but marketing and advertising can access the data. There are a multitude of examples of how good will can show a perceived value for the consumer.

I'm really not going to go back and forth on this. I see that we could probably never agree on this subject.

21stamps

So the idea of perks, discounts, coupons, loyalty programs, giveaways etc is not a common way of increasing revenue? And if Disney started monetizing all that"free stuff" you take advantage of maybe as a smart consumer you would decide that your vacation dollars would be spent better somewhere else.

And yes a free cabana can generate $$$. Each Disney resort has their own internal margins. If the Poly is showing upticks in bookings after announcing free cabana rentals for rack rate guests...guess what, they are making more money. I'm not saying this would happen but marketing and advertising can access the data. There are a multitude of examples of how good will can show a perceived value for the consumer.

I'm really not going to go back and forth on this. I see that we could probably never agree on this subject.
Is Poly having trouble filling their rooms? Last 3 times I have tried to stay there, and once when I was there and wanted to extend, they were sold out.

trampdog

Is Poly having trouble filling their rooms? Last 3 times I have tried to stay there, and once when I was there and wanted to extend, they were sold out.

Very true! Once in the 45+ times I have stayed in DW, I have been able to extend my stay at a deluxe resort. That was the week of September 16, 2001.

daisyduckie

Or people who think before they read.

I'm making the point about not prioritizing customer service and sat. Just "passing the buck" and penalizing everyone verse addressing the problem scenarios

I don't think you have yet to post a solution that didn't in itself cause problems. Or have the possibility of causing an even worse problem, ie irate guests pitching a fit and ruining other guest's experience. The previous poster who said Disney is passive aggressive when it comes to tell guests no is dead on right. No way would they put it on a CM to have to maybe move a guest's belongings, or get into an argument, when there is another solution, and one that earns them some money at that.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I don't think you have yet to post a solution that didn't in itself cause problems. Or have the possibility of causing an even worse problem, ie irate guests pitching a fit and ruining other guest's experience. The previous poster who said Disney is passive aggressive when it comes to tell guests no is dead on right. No way would they put it on a CM to have to maybe move a guest's belongings, or get into an argument, when there is another solution, and one that earns them some money at that.

So how does Disney NOT confront guests who
- squat in a cabana without paying
- overstay their booking
- ignore their reservation window

What do you think Disney is going to do when a paid reservation shows up and squatters were there first? Tell the paid guest 'sorry, try another day... ' ??

Or how often is Disney going to have to tell guests 'shoo' as guests try to move in on these cabanas because they are freakin dead center in the pool area?

Charging does not mean Disney doesn't have to potentially confront guests who are out of line. Squatters will still happen.. and so will Disney haven't to potentially kick out guests who are outside policy. The only difference is money changing hands or not. Which typically just makes guest MORE demanding than not.

You act like these conflicts are unique to my suggestion... they come with any model that doesn't simply rely on 'first come, first serve'.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom