Poly needs your $$$

BigChris77

Or what if someone started taking every park map from the kiosks and started negatively impacting other guests because the maps couldn't be kept in stock well enough? Would you then decide all park maps need to be paid for to get one? Or would you work to address the problem with some individuals taking more than they need?

Ahh, the slippery slope argument. Haven't seen many examples of this since the whole "if you let them gays marry, well then you'll be marryin' your dog next!" argument was trotted out..

Would a reasonable person think it's acceptable to charge for a map? No. Would a reasonable person think it's acceptable to charge a small amount to reserve a cabana? Yes.

daisyduckie

As I said pages ago... simply enforce an abandonment policy. You are expected to vacate it if you are not actually using it any longer. Set a policy that says cabanas that are left unused for more than an hour, they will be reset for other guests. For enforcement, just have staff note if a cabana is unused, and on later checks, if its still vacant after 90mins of noticing it, reset it.

The knowledge that your crap will be moved if you try to horde the thing all day while not actually using it will alter the behavior of the abusers (the whole point). For those that are unaware, 90+mins is plenty of time for the occasional 'we left but were coming back' people. For those that are unaware, and still try to horde it, then they will learn.. or have a fit because they are crappy people to begin with. I don't care if crappy people can't handle their hotel towels being cleaned up and no longer have a cabana at their disposal.

You missed out on the warm and fuzzy part. It wouldn't be too warm and fuzzy for Disney to have a CM walk up, and kick a family out of the cabana. Many would not simply go "Yup, our time is up, we are packing up" Many would go "But Johnny and Suzy are having too much fun. You really won't kick KIDS out will you? You will, well you $%&@!!!" Not only do you have to deal with the now Crabby family, but with the scene they are causing, and the bad taste it leaves for the rest of the people by the pool.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Ahh, the slippery slope argument. Haven't seen many examples of this since the whole "if you let them gays marry, well then you'll be marryin' your dog next!" argument was trotted out..

Would a reasonable person think it's acceptable to charge for a map? No. Would a reasonable person think it's acceptable to charge a small amount to reserve a cabana? Yes.
You're expecting reasonable around here from people that think every single decision that Disney makes is only about money - regardless of truth?

flynnibus

Premium Member

You mean like charging for a program at a sporting event? It's not a slippery slope... it's just an example of scenarios were a few ruin it for others and we don't jump to "just charge them" as a solution

Or here is a good one.... parking abusers at the resorts. Should Disney just charge all resort guests (after all.. people are used to paying for parking right?)... or should Disney take steps to combat the freeloaders who park in the hotel lots for the parks?

How about the people that try to buy too many of an Item? Instead of a per item surcharge, we limit how many you can buy
When people line up too early at a store... we give out tickets instead of charging per minute...
When people take too many of something... we shift to an employee handing them out
When people start taking too many 3D glasses... we don't start taking a deposit... we add more signs and add staff at the exit to help remind people and prove a loose screen to reduce the shrinkage

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
You missed out on the warm and fuzzy part. It wouldn't be too warm and fuzzy for Disney to have a CM walk up, and kick a family out of the cabana. Many would not simply go "Yup, our time is up, we are packing up" Many would go "But Johnny and Suzy are having too much fun. You really won't kick KIDS out will you? You will, well you $%&@!!!" Not only do you have to deal with the now Crabby family, but with the scene they are causing, and the bad taste it leaves for the rest of the people by the pool.

Please reread the post... key word "abandonment"

If people are there and using it... there is no abandonment

21stamps

Ugh. All of that is absurd.

First of all, so like I said, you expect someone to have a new job of cabana watch.

Secondly, what is the cm going to do with the family's personal items? Move them? That's not realistic or even close to the right thing to do.

There's a reason why absolutely no one (that I've heard of) in the hospitality industry does such a thing.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Plenty of resorts charge for cabanas like these with zero amenities. But...I get it...this is Disney...where you are playing a million dollars a night to stay at the Poly so the cabanas should be free...
A million a night is only with a pin code or CM discount. The rack rate is $2M a night;)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yes you can rent a cabana at GF and the Contemporary but Disney provides no service unlike renting a Cabana in Vegas or Miami
We tried to rent a cabana at the Mirage on one trip. We reserved it in advance but when we went to "check-in" and pay for the cabana they were all given away to "high rollers" already. We were there for a bachelor party so we found a better way to spend that cash anyway, but it was still disappointing. The cabanas there were not cheap to rent but they came with a tv, fridge and wait service.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It would end up like this. For free people will make a reservation at the earliest time they can and then use or not use the cabana depending on what they feel like that day. I have been in hotels that did that and it ends up a waste. Same people who do that type of thing will tell everyone they know how they had a cabana every day to show off, they'll take some pictures of them in it but the cabana will sit there mostly unused. The parking meter plan won't work unless it involves some sort of penalty, money or otherwise.

I didn't say use advanced reservations... I said use the magic band. It provides a simple digital token a system can be driven by.

Your examples of "no intention to use" would be solved by a system that "releases" any hold (physical or virtual) if the unit is not used.

The parking meter reference is an example of a system where a start and end time is referenced. You could have a system where a guest can identify a unit as free due to a display... take it via their magic band... and now a timer starts. Then you can decide what happens at expiration. Allow the party to renew? Notify staff... whatever. I would say just let them renew if they are still there. If not, now you have indication to staff the unit should be reset.

No need for money or penalties- just a means to instigate usage and feedback with low friction.

If you can come up with some sort of system that works other then money I'm sure many hotels out their would love to hear your solution. Every place I have been uses money to regulate chairs and cabanas or they just have a free for all.

Start by defining the desired outcomes, constraints, and tolerances and you can propose ideas. It's just a setup to say come up with one system that solves every problem... each has their own points, needs, motivations, and metrics for success.

Many charge for these amenities simply because they can... they create a tiered service and monetize it. Many others chose to add a service and not charge for it. For instance, when I was at the aria a few weeks ago they had staff that would go around and reset chairs that simply had towels spread out after a period of time. They also had free ice water with lemon stations all around the pool deck... in addition to their wait staff that would circle the deck.

They also had premium cabanas setup they charged for... because they were a premium service offer. The water is simply a customer perk that also helps them avoid people getting dehydrated. (Win win)

Disney cracked down on people making multiple restaurant reservations for the same reason. It's not a couple of bad apples it's many people who will make as many reservations as they can just in case. Some restaurants have gone to taking credit card numbers for a reservation. If you are a reservation only restaurant and people don't show for their reservation it loses them money but as related to the pool deck it's just a rude thing to do but many will if given the chance.

ADR is a very different situation with different consequences and motivations. No show adrs cost Disney due to reduced utilization of the restaurant that Disney is trying to maximize. It literally costs them lost revenue. That does not apply here... a cabana tied up by a guest unnecessarily is a customer sat issue and can drive demand for resources unnecessarily. If no one shows.. it's not lost revenue for Disney.

Don't confuse similar tools with similar needs/motivations/tolerances.

21stamps

We tried to rent a cabana at the Mirage on one trip. We reserved it in advance but when we went to "check-in" and pay for the cabana they were all given away to "high rollers" already. We were there for a bachelor party so we found a better way to spend that cash anyway, but it was still disappointing. The cabanas there were not cheap to rent but they came with a tv, fridge and wait service.
Which is also exactly what GF and the Contemporary provide as well...and water parks..and pretty much every cabana anywhere.

That guy's statement of comparison is an inaccurate statement, which basically voids his entire viewpoint on this subject.

flynnibus

Premium Member
You're expecting reasonable around here from people that think every single decision that Disney makes is only about money - regardless of truth?

Or people who think before they read.

I'm making the point about not prioritizing customer service and sat. Just "passing the buck" and penalizing everyone verse addressing the problem scenarios

21stamps

This is the company that put chips in soda cups to avoid CMs having to reprimand guests for stealing soda. They are about as passive aggressive as possible when telling guests no.
Ok the chips/scanners are used basically everywhere in America now. You guys are singling Disney out when they are in fact in line with everyone else in the industry.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Which is also exactly what GF and the Contemporary provide as well...and water parks..and pretty much every cabana anywhere.

That guy's statement of comparison is an inaccurate statement, which basically voids his entire viewpoint on this subject.
Just this subject?;);););)

flynnibus

Premium Member
Ugh. All of that is absurd.

First of all, so like I said, you expect someone to have a new job of cabana watch.

Secondly, what is the cm going to do with the family's personal items? Move them? That's not realistic or even close to the right thing to do.

There's a reason why absolutely no one (that I've heard of) in the hospitality industry does such a thing.

So what happens when your paid rental is over Miss?

flynnibus

Premium Member
This is the company that put chips in soda cups to avoid CMs having to reprimand guests for stealing soda. They are about as passive aggressive as possible when telling guests no.

Except the argument here is Disney should have instead just charged everyone per pour to fix the problem... because people are used to paying you know...

flynnibus

Premium Member
You move your own stuff because your time is up. Hopefully every adult knows how to read a watch, phone, or clock.

And when they don't? You mean Disney might have to confront someone? And that new staff you mentioned?

Funny you think guests will behave nicely when it suits your purpose... but if you asked them to respect a non paid system nothing will work. Gotcha

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Ok the chips/scanners are used basically everywhere in America now. You guys are singling Disney out when they are in fact in line with everyone else in the industry.
I'm not even saying it's wrong or right to do so I'm not singling them out.

My only point is that Disney's operating style has been to avoid situations where CMs are confronting guests directly. People don't like to be told they are wrong especially when paying big bucks for a vacation. It seems like they go out of their way to avoid such conflict. Probably a big reason why they went with a fee to rent as opposed to having CMs monitor guest use.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom