Poly for a night...?

kimberlymautz

Original Poster
My family (myself, boyfriend, DD (6), and DS (6m) will be heading to WDW I'm the spring and while the details aren't 100% in place yet, I'm trying to start getting them there. We will be staying off property from Sunday to Sunday with my parents however we're thinking of adding a few days to the beginning or end of our trip. If we do add some more days, Poly is most likely out of the question, but if we don't I was thinking of seeing if my parents would take the kiddos one night so boyfriend and I could spend a night at the Poly. It's his favorite resort and every time we are down he mentions how he can't wait to stay there someday.
Is it worth it for just one night? I'm going to be out of work for a couple of months after little dude is born (due in October!) or I'd try to swing a longer stay there. Or is it better to just wait and stay there next time we are down (probably fall 2019)?

CaptainAmerica

I'd never recommend cutting a trip short for the sake of staying in a fancier hotel. Plus, a split stay is a royal pain in the butt, especially when you're moving from off property to on property.

Is there any chance of convincing your parents to stay on property the whole time?

kimberlymautz

Original Poster
I'd never recommend cutting a trip short for the sake of staying in a fancier hotel. Plus, a split stay is a royal pain in the butt, especially when you're moving from off property to on property.

Is there any chance of convincing your parents to stay on property the whole time?

We're actually staying at a time share that my PopPop is giving us a week of to use or else we would definitely be staying on property!
And we definitely wouldn't be cutting the trip short at any point, if we stayed at the Poly for a night it would be during our stay with my parents. Whether we get to go down a few days early or stay a few extra days will depend on whether boyfriend and I can take the extra time off work. If we can, we'll have an extra couple of days to enjoy Disney however if we can't and only get the one week anyway I thought I'd try to surprise him for one night. We'd only need our clothes and what not for one day so it wouldn't really affect us either way.

hooch

One night would be worth it for a splurge, if it's your dream. Be sure to avoid Thu,Fri, and Sat nights (most expensive) and check for special offers. Spring Break prices are brutal.
Book standard view (least expensive). You can check in first thing in the morning, if you'd like. Do online check-in and add your expected time of arrival; then check the box that says you'd rather have your room ready early than any other requests, such as a particular longhouse or proximity to transportation, etc. Not sure what the options are these days...
If you're able to check into your room early and settle in a bit and enjoy the resort all day, then one night will definitely be worth it! Good luck.

nickys

Premium Member
Yeah, I say go for it. Check in early and enjoy everything the resort has to offer. It's pricey but if you make the most of the resort facilities then you have 2 days worth of memories.

I would not do it if you simply intend to go straight to a park and just have a couple of drinks in a bar later. Sure, if that's what you want then do so, but this sounds like it's a dream get away. Try and book Ohana for dinner, or Kona Cafe. Use the pools, explore the grounds, have fun!

bluetiedye

I do not want to take away from his dream, but maybe there is a 3rd option. The real appeal of one night in Poly is the theming I would think. Why not drinks at Trader Sam's, then watch the fireworks from over there? Then you two can get a room at a nice off-property hotel by yourselves and save literally 100s of dollars.

If the dream is to stay the night there, then go for it! Just thought I would throw out an alternative!

dreamfinder

We did a single night at the Poly before switching to AKL. It's not unheard of, or that difficult to do, even if you are staying offsite. I'd ask myself this, are you looking for a romantic evening w/o kids, and if so do you think you will be able to get that option again in the next few years? No idea how likely that is, but if you are more likely to be back down there just as a nuclear family, then it may be the best time to do it. If the grandparents are looking to make this a quasi regular occurrence of being there at the same time, then it's obviously not as important and you might want to just do a nice dinner together instead.

wdwfan22

I personally wouldn't do it. It's a pain in the rear checking in and out for just a night. Also note though depending on when you are visiting Disney does have minimum stay requirements for many of the resorts.

kimberlymautz

Original Poster
Thanks for all of your help! It's unlikely that we'll be going back down the same time as my parents again as they very rarely take big vacations (my dad would rather go to my aunt's house down the shore and go out on his boat) so I thought it'd be a nice evening out. I'll have to see what seems like our best plan. :)

dreamfinder

I personally wouldn't do it. It's a pain in the rear checking in and out for just a night. Also note though depending on when you are visiting Disney does have minimum stay requirements for many of the resorts.

I don't think this is accurate. The only time I have ever seen minimum stay requirements is for some of the packages, particularly for free dining. And even those were more minimum ticket requirements, and not so much hotel nights.

Mander

In the Parks
No
I'm sort of weighing this option as well.

We are spending eight nights at Pop Century in January but I'm thinking about tacking on a ninth night at a deluxe to surprise my fiance. I'm looking at Wilderness Lodge as we both worked in actual national park hotels and campgrounds for three years (it's where we met). So, WL is very intriguing to the both of us! It's the lower end for deluxe resorts but still so much. I do think we'd enjoy having our last night to spend at a resort. Just have to figure out if I can do it before I buy our plane tickets.

So, I have no real advice but I hope you enjoy whatever you decide!

21stamps

Unless you get a super great price for Poly.. like in the $300 range.. I wouldn't do it. I don't think one night is worth the money.

And on second thought, depending on your budget- I'd definitely weigh out what else you could be using the money for on vacation. If you have to cut anything out to do it- no way.
I love Poly, but it isn't worth sacrificing other vacation experiences imo.
I don't think this is accurate. The only time I have ever seen minimum stay requirements is for some of the packages, particularly for free dining. And even those were more minimum ticket requirements, and not so much hotel nights.

There was minimum stay requirements at most of the deluxe resorts in November/December last year. Can't speak for other times, but definitely during my dates.

wdwfan22

it's accurate Disney has always had minimum stay requirements for some resorts during certain time periods. There are also minimum requirements on packages and sometimes even the room only discounts for selected time frames.

JohnD

I'm doing a split stay but only for adding an extra day. I'm in Pop most of the week, then ASMu one night.

kimberlymautz

Original Poster
Thank you everyone! I think I might just set up a date night for us, including dinner at Ohana, and surprise him with that instead. I MIGHT plan a night at a different hotel or resort, but like many of you have pointed out there are some way better things to spend money on then just a hotel room. So if we can get in a date night (including another hotel!) For the price of just the one night at the Poly then it's definitely worth it. :)

21stamps

Thank you everyone! I think I might just set up a date night for us, including dinner at Ohana, and surprise him with that instead. I MIGHT plan a night at a different hotel or resort, but like many of you have pointed out there are some way better things to spend money on then just a hotel room. So if we can get in a date night (including another hotel!) For the price of just the one night at the Poly then it's definitely worth it. :)

Have a wonderful time!!! :)

mdubm

I may have the unpopular opinion, but I eventually want to stay on every Disney property, so if the opportunity arose for a stay (even if only one night) at the Poly, I'd do it. In fact, we went in June and had only booked 4 nights at the YC. We decided we wanted to add a night and both Poly and CR were reasonable (for their standards) for the night we wanted. I ended up going with CR because the room was $380 and you never really see them for that low. Poly had come in at like $460, and I still would have stayed for that had I not found CR for much cheaper. If you can afford it, I'd do it. There's something really fun and magical about that place, as there is with most on site properties.

crxbrett

I may have the unpopular opinion, but I eventually want to stay on every Disney property, so if the opportunity arose for a stay (even if only one night) at the Poly, I'd do it. In fact, we went in June and had only booked 4 nights at the YC. We decided we wanted to add a night and both Poly and CR were reasonable (for their standards) for the night we wanted. I ended up going with CR because the room was $380 and you never really see them for that low. Poly had come in at like $460, and I still would have stayed for that had I not found CR for much cheaper. If you can afford it, I'd do it. There's something really fun and magical about that place, as there is with most on site properties.

That would be cool to do! If I was a local or went more than once a year I would certainly take a crack at it for sure. My problem is I find one I like and then I only want to stay at that one. lol I do the same thing with food at restaurants.

Just curious, how many have you been to so far? And how would you rank them?

-

mdubm

That would be cool to do! If I was a local or went more than once a year I would certainly take a crack at it for sure. My problem is I find one I like and then I only want to stay at that one. lol I do the same thing with food at restaurants.

Just curious, how many have you been to so far? And how would you rank them?
-
I'm in very early stages. I've been to WDW more times than I can count, but growing up, my family had a timeshare so we always stayed off site.
So far, I've stayed at CBR, CR, and YC. Of those, YC wins by a landslide, and like you, my DH only wants to go back there when we go again as a family in June 2019. I'd like to try any of the other Epcot area resorts, Poly, and WL next. YC was awesome for the pool and location. A lot of people complain it lacks theming, but we really loved it.
CR comes in second, although we didn't stay long. Location was great, room was really spacious, but pool was lacking.
CBR was years ago. It just seemed like a glorified motel. We packed our family of 6 in the room (this was before magicbands) and it just wasn't great.
I'm actually going with a school group in October and we're doing Pop. I'm excited as Pop and AoA have been at the top of my value resort choices. I think I'll be fine if we never star at any of the All-Stars, but I'm willing to give them a shot. I also have POR and POFQ on the list as well to do sooner than later.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom