POLL: Will WDW Institute a "Squatting Ban" for Fireworks and Parades?

Should WDW ban the practice of saving spots for fireworks and parade shows?

• Yes

Votes: 149 54.2%
  • No

Votes: 51 18.5%
  • Don't care either way. It's not a big deal.

Votes: 75 27.3%

• Total voters

Siren

Original Poster
Disney has just banned the practice of holding spots for fireworks and parade shows at Disneyland.

It is expected that WDW will soon follow suit, but still unclear at this point.

Disney no longer allows saving spaces for parades http://www.local10.com/theme-parks/disney-no-longer-allows-saving-spaces-for-parades
By
Jeff Tavss - Executive Producer Posted: 1:43 PM, March 03, 2017 Updated: 4:18 PM, March 03, 2017
16hpvgp.jpg

ANAHEIM, Calif. - Good news for those who hate showing up at a Disney parade, only to find all the seats taken by people who reserve spots hours in advance.

Disneyland is putting an immediate end to the practice of saving spaces, no longer allowing visitors to lay down blankets or other items to stake out spots.

The move comes as the park is bringing the Main Street Electrical Parade back to Southern California.

Guests have been known to show up at park opening to reserve a wide swath of space over 10 hours before the actual parade begins.

According to ThemeParkInsider.com, guests seeking to claim claim a spot will only be able to do so once the parade route is put up. But if you try to squeeze out others beforehand, you'll be asked to move by cast members.

The parade routes are set up any time between and 30 and 60 minutes before the parade begins.

While Disneyland is currently the only Disney theme park to institute a Squatting Ban, it could be possible that Walt Disney World does the same to manage the heavy crowds at the Orlando resort.

PiratesMansion

I mean, if they find it necessary, sure. But WDW doesn't have a huge population of crazy locals that think nothing of coming to the park and waiting for entertainment for hours and hours. Vacationers that are already concerned about time and value for the money have no incentive to waste hours protecting their turf in the same way.

I know nothing about Orlando locals so I may be completely wrong but I don't sense the same level of entitlement that is seen so often in Anaheim passholders.

drizgirl

Saving spots has never worked at WDW. I have a hard enough time holding the space I am occupying myself. Laying out a blanket or multiple blankets and holding the spot with only one person (or in some cases no people) for some reason had become pretty common in DLR. They are just completely different situations.

mousehockey37

If I choose to sit there on my blanket all day, then that's how I'm doing Disney. Now if I go in the park, throw down a blanket, come back to it 10 hours later and it's still there for me to use, that's a different story. At Epcot, I'll park myself at my spot for Illuminations about an hour or so before the show starts, no blankets, just me in my spot. I'm not movin'.

drizgirl

If I choose to sit there on my blanket all day, then that's how I'm doing Disney. Now if I go in the park, throw down a blanket, come back to it 10 hours later and it's still there for me to use, that's a different story. At Epcot, I'll park myself at my spot for Illuminations about an hour or so before the show starts, no blankets, just me in my spot. I'm not movin'.
At DL they are supposedly clearing the curbs and benches when they set up the ropes along Main Street for the parade. So if you are already sitting there waiting for the parade you will be asked to move.

mousehockey37

At DL they are supposedly clearing the curbs and benches when they set up the ropes along Main Street for the parade. So if you are already sitting there waiting for the parade you will be asked to move.

My answer would still be no. They can't stop you from sitting at a bench. Who knows, maybe I have a medical necessity to sit? Make me move then... big problem for Disney.

I agree to the point that if people are putting blankets and stuff down that there's a line being crossed, but for people who do their due diligence to find a good spot, they don't deserve to be kicked out of it.

Try telling this to the people at Christmas and New Years in the MK in Florida. It'll go over really well, promise...

I'm a person who wants a decent spot to see the shows. I get set for Illuminations about an hour before hand. For Wishes, it depends, but I still am there early. They're just setting this up for a lot of fighting to occur.

AndyS2992

Lol who is crazy enough to wait 10 hours for that horrible parade. Our loss was a major win for us, that parade needed to disappear.
Look at one of the Disneyland webcam feeds from the 24 hour event that kicked off the 60th anniversary, tons of people camped out on Main Street right from opening just so they could say they were the first to see the the new Paint the Night parade. They sat there from 6am right until the parade finished at about 9:30pm. Very odd. I could think of way better things to do with my time, especially at Disney.

mousehockey37

Look at one of the Disneyland webcam feeds from the 24 hour event that kicked off the 60th anniversary, tons of people camped out on Main Street right from opening just so they could say they were the first to see the the new Paint the Night parade. They sat there from 6am right until the parade finished at about 9:30pm. Very odd. I could think of way better things to do with my time, especially at Disney.

My question is this.. We all pay the admission to get in. If one chooses to sit on a blanket on the curb all day, who's to say they can't do that? They paid their admission, they should be able to Disney however they want. As long as they're not taking up the entire sidewalk so that people can't pass, what's it matter?

AndyS2992

My question is this.. We all pay the admission to get in. If one chooses to sit on a blanket on the curb all day, who's to say they can't do that? They paid their admission, they should be able to Disney however they want. As long as they're not taking up the entire sidewalk so that people can't pass, what's it matter?
They can do what they want, it's just weird to me lol especially since the weather that day was pretty bad. Could be riding rides, watching shows but no, they come to Disneyland to sit on the curb in the rain for 15 hours. Whatever floats your boat.

mousehockey37

They can do what they want, it's just weird to me lol especially since the weather that day was pretty bad. Could be riding rides, watching shows but no, they come to Disneyland to sit on the curb in the rain for 15 hours. Whatever floats your boat.

I mean, if you wanna people watch for 15 hours, more power to ya, lol, esp in bad weather. I agree though, I'd rather go do stuff and have fun.

JTravis58

Just show up before the parade or fireworks and find a spot. You can squeeze in and force others to move if you know how to do it right. We do this every trip and space somehow manages to be found every time.

drizgirl

I think that's part of the problem. It has gotten so far out of hand that at DL they were taking up entire sidewalks so people couldn't pass.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom