PLEASE HELP!!!!! Confused on or off I

hey guys, back again wow I have traveled to over 20 countries but none of that has been as confusing as trying to do Disney and not have a heart attack with the pricing.

We're getting to the point that we need to start making choices. I need to know honest opinions and pro and con about staying on or off Disney properties, the exchange rate doesn't help either we're coming from Australia and I am having a hard time with the fact that a "value" rooms is over $180 a night AUD there just that two of us as this is our very very belated honeymoon ( planning sep 17) That said we are planning Disney as the beginning of a longer trip in USA and still need money for the rest of it. We were looking at POR as it's our honeymoon but we don't think we can justify that amount of money as we hope to be at Disney around a week, we were looking at maybe 5 night at say pop and then 2 at POR what do people think about resort hopping.? Are the pro stay on Disney worth the money? Also when looking at prices on Disney website it excul tax what is tax amt please?

Sorry about the war and peace leagth post please all help is sooooo very welcome. I'm totally going around in circles trying to make this work
Also doing it your self vs travel agent? Thoughts

Last edited:

21stamps

I know a lot of people have talked about "Free Dining", but I'm going to disagree with the 'savings' on that for 2 people.
Last year we took a Room Only discount, I paid for the DDP, and we still saved more than $1100 over the Free Dining offer!

You can check for historical discounts, but don't count on them. This year was very different than the last several. So if a discount is the only way for a resort, then just wait to book it until they are released.

As far as switching resorts, we had to do it on our last night in 2015. From Poly to POFQ. It was seamless and so easy!! If you want to split Pop and POR then go for it! Save your rest/Disney springs day for when you arrive at POR. Honestly it wasn't a hassle.

Upvote 0

OzzieDisneyTragic

Original Poster
I know a lot of people have talked about "Free Dining", but I'm going to disagree with the 'savings' on that for 2 people.
Last year we took a Room Only discount, I paid for the DDP, and we still saved more than $1100 over the Free Dining offer

As far as switching resorts, we had to do it on our last night in 2015. From Poly to POFQ. It was seamless and so easy!! If you want to split Pop and POR then go for it! Save your rest/Disney springs day for when you arrive at POR. Honestly it wasn't a hassle.

Thank you very for you comment very helpful, would you agree with the advice we got about putting the some amount of money on a gift card and buy the meals with that

Upvote 0

21stamps

Thank you very for you comment very helpful, would you agree with the advice we got about putting the some amount of money on a gift card and buy the meals with that

Ok so, I'll be completely candid.

I've read a lot of comments online about people doing that. If it works for them- Great! I don't really understand it though. I did get a gift card for my kid-age 5 at the time, to budget his money for souvenirs, but that was basically to prevent him from asking for everything and anything, and also to teach him a lesson on budgeting.
As for me, the adult, I set a generalized budget for myself, have an idea of what I'm ball park spending before a trip (anywhere), and try to stick close to it. Regardless if money is on a Disney gift card, in your checking account, on a credit card, or in your pocket it's still money.
Just set what table service meals you know you'll want before hand, set a rough budget for souvenirs, adult beverages, etc. Doing so will give you a good idea of what you'll spend beforehand, and then just set an "extra amount" for incidentals or spontaneous splurges.

I think the most important part is NOT to overextend. If you are going to be in the parks a lot don't stress yourself about splurging on a resort if it will cause you to count every dollar of 'spending money'.

I also read about people staying at POP and doing one night at a monorail resort. To me that wouldn't be worth it, it's not enough time to truly enjoy it. Stay where you can comfortably (or willingly) afford and use the difference to have a wonderful time..maybe spend an evening at Trader Sam's with the savings :)

I'm a monorail or Epcot resort gal...but Disney deluxe hotels aren't on par with 5 or even 4 star hotels for the same or less price. For me it's convenience that makes it 'worth it'.
I have friends who could very easily afford to stay in one of those resorts also, but they choose moderates or AoA.. Because to them they don't see the value, and their money is better spent elsewhere. They are also all day park people, and we aren't. There's so many different vacation styles..luckily Disney offers options to accommodate all of them!

Sorry for this War and Peace length comment ;)

You'll have a wonderful time if you do what is comfortable for you. You're with your spouse, on your honeymoon!!! At the end of the day that's all that matters. :)

Upvote 0

TiggerDad

It depends on what type of meals you intend to eat. Some people do a lot of sit-down meals, while others mostly do fast-food (quick-service) meals. DDP is designed to encourage you to spend more on the sit downs. If you see food as a necessary evil to get through as quickly as possible in order to get back to the attractions, then I wouldn't spend money on a dining plan.

Same question on resorts/hotels. Is it a place to sleep for a few hours before running back to the parks, or will you spend time enjoying what the resorts have to offer? Either type of vacation is great; it's a question of what your priorities are. If you are just looking for a place to sleep, POP will be perfect. If you want a romantic place to relax and spend time, POR or better POFQ is worth the extra money.

Upvote 0

OzzieDisneyTragic

Original Poster
Ok so, I'll be completely candid.

I've read a lot of comments online about people doing that. If it works for them- Great! I don't really understand it though.
Sorry for this War and Peace length comment ;)

You'll have a wonderful time if you do what is comfortable for you. You're with your spouse, on your honeymoon!!! At the end of the day that's all that matters. :)

Thank you I loved your war and peace length comment, the main thought for me with the gift card was it would be in US dollars as were coming from Aus.

But your thoughts help I'm starting to think I could do this myself but still don't know if it will be cheaper then TA
Sorry to be a pest but have you heard of or ever used undercover tourist

Upvote 0

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member

Gift Cards are an interesting creature. If done right it's free money. It's going to depend on store policy. I.E. if you can flip gift cards for gift cards. You'll need to look up if Woolworth's, Myer, and/or any other major chain in OZ allow you to do this.

As an example: I can buy a gift card on Amazon, Ebay, or several other outlets whereby they give me a pay $85 for a $100 gift card at let's say a store like Best Buy. I purchase 10 of them and pay $850 for $1,000 in Best Buy gift cards. I go to Best Buy and use the gift card to purchase $1,000 in Disney gift cards. Nothing like a free $150. Caution- You need to be absolutely sure about the store policy. Because if not - and you can't flip them - you will get stuck with a whole bunch of gift cards.

Upvote 0

OzzieDisneyTragic

Original Poster
[QUOTE="scorp16, post: 7410861, member: 100945] Caution- You need to be absolutely sure about the store policy. Because if not - and you can't flip them - you will get stuck with a whole bunch of gift cards.[/QUOTE]

That sounds like a great way to save some money but we can't do that as Australia doesn't have Disney gift cards we'd have to buy them once in USA

Upvote 0

yensid67

Ozzie,
I voted for OFF PROPERTY! You want to save money for your latter part of your trip, so I would suggest staying off property at a decent hotel nearby. One that is nice enough for your NEEDS, but inexpensive enough for your savings. If you're just using the hotel as a place to sleep and shower and not planning to spend days at the hotel, I would highly suggest a hotel near Disney in Lake Buena Vista. We have stayed at Clarion Lake Buena Vista and it was an AWESOME! stay. I would suggest checking your travel sites in Australia, then look up trivago.com or hotelscombined.com or I found that otel.com is cheaper than most of these. I would suggest as for Parks, I would stay away from DHS(Hollywood Studios) just for the fact that most of the park is a construction zone and doesn't warrant the price tag. I would get a 3 day park ticket(with or without park hopping) and go to Magic kingdom, Epcot and Animal Kingdom. Use the other 2 days as time do some other things that are NOT Disney. Orlando has a lot more than Disney and other theme parks. Go to International Drive and take in the Cocoa-Cola Eye(400' observations wheel), Madam Tussaud's. Sealife Aqaurium. Go along Route 192 corridor and visit Kissimmee and stop for an evening at Capone's, a 1920's speakeasy with gangsters and flappers, set in the prohibition era. Its a nice buffet including alcohol and soft drinks and a dinner show afterwards. If ya need any other help private message me! I will help all I can

Check out visitflorida.com, undercovertourist.com(best pricing I found) orlandofuntickets.com

Upvote 0

21stamps

I'd also suggest, but can't recommend as I've never stayed there, looking at B Hotel.
I considered it for our check in night because we will be arriving @ 2am. Hate to waste so much money on that day!

I read a lot of reviews and looked at a ton of photos. It looks nice!

The more I think about it the more I really don't think it is a necessity to stay on site for your trip.

Upvote 0

Susan Savia

Their are plenty of offsite motels surrounding WDW that are clean, comfortable and safe. There are also many nice (and cheaper) restaurants in the area. The roads are easy to navagate.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom