Pre-Trip Planning is half the fun!

This is my first pre-trip or trip report of any kind - after my upcoming trip in a couple weeks I will be posting my first trip report. A little about me - I am 32 and single and live in Illinois. I have an Industrial Engineering degree making me an OCD planner (I have spreadsheets for everything). I have been to WDW six times over the last 12 years or so - my first trip I was as college senior when I was 21, so I do not have any childhood memories of the parks but grew up watching the Disney Channel (loved the Mickey Mouse Club and Kids Incorporated) and Disney Movies. I actually took my mom on her first ever WDW vacation in 2011 and we went recently in December '13 with my mom. At the time I decided that we would be making a second trip together in October ’14 so we got annual passes on our frist day and a TIW card since we enjoy table service restaurants and do drink alcohol (In moderation of course). I have two trips this year, the first being a solo trip in May then a second trip in October with my mom and sister, this will be my sisters first ever trip and she will be 29 at the time. We are also planning a trip out west to Disneyland in November ’15 (570 days, not that I am counting). The following post are my plans - at least for now! Any suggestions of course are welcome.

This is how I feel when planning WDW trips:
Elephant.jpg

Crystal J

Original Poster
Trip 1: Solo trip in May '14

I am arriving late on 5/2 and leaving late afternoon on 5/7. I love flowers so going for the flower and garden show. I also love photography, so picture taking is key on this trip since I will not be slowing anyone else down.
Saturday I plan on doing all day Epcot with dinner at the Rose & Crown Pub then staying for IllumiNations (Probably watch from Italy) then closing down the park - what is better than empty park night photography?
Sunday I am starting out at AK (8 AM Open) then going to Epcot about 10ish for the Perfect Petals Brunch which starts at 11 AM - my mom is huge Vera Bradley fan so I am going to pick her up some bags, one of which will be her mother’s day gift. Then back to AK until close at 8 then hopping over to MK for Wishes at 9 and MSEP at 11 and of course, staying late again for more night photography. There is EMH until 2 AM so I have plenty of time.
Monday I plan on spending the morning at HS then hopping over to Epcot for the afternoon and evening and eating at Via Napoli for dinner watching IllumiNations at 9 PM form the UK then hopping back to Hollywood Studios for the 10:30 Fantasmic! then take some more night pictures since HS had EMH until 12 AM.
Tuesday I plan on going to MK. For dinner I am going to head over to the Poly to eat at Kona Cafe about 5:40 PM vs. eating in the park, get off my feet a bit and enjoy an adult beverage (1 or 2 - I don't get drunk at parks) then head back for the evening. I could not get into Be our Guest despite getting up 180 days in advance at 5 AM CST and trying about every day since so I decided to try a new restaurant. I plan on watching the MSEP/Wishes and of course - closing down the park with more night photography!
Wednesday morning I have an 8:25 AM ADR at Crystal Palace (My 1st ever character meal) then heading to MCO mid afternoon to fly home.

There will be a lack of sleep on this trip, but since it is just me I am cool with it. I am a natural night owl anyway so not a big deal. I stay up until 11ish or so most nights at get up at 6:30 AM for work with no issues.

I am sad that this view is now gone due to Hub Construction:
Wishes.jpg

Crystal J

Original Poster
My October trip will be very different from my May trip, instead of going solo I am going with my Mom and Sister. This will be my mom’s third ever trip and my sisters first. My sister is excited, she has been on the Disney bound blog and already figuring out what she will wear each day and planning her costume for the MNSSHP (186 days out). I don’t even know what I am wearing yet for my May trip and that is 11 days out (and probably won’t until about 9 PM Thursday night when I get around to packing). As a kid - she loved Lion King and 101 Dalmatians. Now as a 29 year old - it is all about the princesses. When I got the text that she wanted to do a princess breakfast I about died (My mom was equally surprised) then when she added on she wanted to meet them all which means an Anna & Else M&G I just shook my head. She is not into photography - so her desire to see princesses is my bargaining chip so I can take many pictures since I am waiting for her she can wait for me! Here are our plans:

Arrive Sunday mid-afternoon. We are attending our cousin’s (my mom’s niece) wedding in Atlanta on Saturday so we plan on getting up and driving down Sunday. Since there is a MNSSHP that night, we plan to do that so my sister just has to buy a 6-day ticket and she is not adding hopper. I normally do a party later in the trip, but this worked out. I have done the Christmas party and my lessons learned are skip the 1st parade and do other stuff then watch the 2nd on main street.

I hope the parade is as much fun as Christmas - I love the toy soldiers and the snow!
Parade.jpg

Monday is an Epcot day - this is the day I plan to get her Princess breakfast in (I still cannot believe she wants to do one) - we are doing Akershaus and I am thinking about 10:30 AM - make it brunch. This way we can do rope drop and hit the lines when they are short in the AM. We can then snack around the food and wine festival in the afternoon for dinner then finish off the night will IllumiNations.

Tuesday is a Magic Kingdom day, it is a short day since there is a party that night so we don’t have any ADRs in the park, I am hoping to get us into Ohana about 8:30ish and get a window table. I will be up at 5 AM CDT in a few days to try to make it happen!

Wednesday is another Magic Kingdom day and we plan on staying late for MSEP and Wishes. I am going to try and get us into Be Our Guest - wish me luck! The rest of the dining does not enthuse me at MK so if I cannot we may head over to one of the resorts to eat dinner.

Thursday we are back to Epcot for another fun filled day. I am thinking Via Napoli again since my sister is a fussy eater and loves Pizza. Then our other meals will again be snacking around the world. Of course we plan on staying until IllumiNations.

Friday we are heading to HS and I am thinking Sci Fi Dine in for a late lunch since Fantasmic! is at 7:30 PM.

Saturday is our final day and we are doing Animal Kingdom. My mom - who does not like princesses but loves Mickey put in a request for her own character breakfast so we are hopefully going to do Tusker House. Again, I was thinking 10:30 for a brunch or a late lunch - I have not decided…opinions? I do want to do a few rides before the lines get long so avoiding the early morning ADRs. They close at 5 PM - so we will probably take it easy that night and pack go to the pull and get ready to leave the next day.

Sunday: We are dropping my sister off at the airport to fly back home (She is flying to Minneapolis) while me and my mom start our two-day drive back to Illinois. We are driving since I am shooting the wedding and need my gear, so easier to drive.

Crystal J

Original Poster
The trip I am most excited about...Disneyland! I have never been, so something new. I am looking at the week before Thanksgiving Sat-Sat (we will be doing other SoCal stuff while there) with four days at the parks - two days each. Fly home Sat about the time the Thanksgiving crowd shows up. I picked this week for hopefully low crowds and all the Christmas decorations should be out. Besides this - no clue yet what I am doing but it is something to look forward to!

Allygator

You will love the Halloween parade. We saw it back in 2010 and my daughter still talks about it. We watched the last parade and I really wish we would have watched both of them. Lol. Can't wait for your trip reports and all your pictures. Have a great time!!!

EricJ

The Christmas parade is nice, but it doesn't even COMPARE to the Haunted Mansion's drill-march gravediggers and their shovels. :cool:

(Speaking of which, how early do they start the MNSSHP? Thought it was at the end of September, but it's usually around the time of the Epcot Food & Wine, which would be the second or third week.)

DisneyPrincess5

Your plans sound great! So many big plans in the next year and a half for you. Hope you have a wonderful time. My heart is breaking for you that you don't have any childhood memories as you never went but how amazing to experience it all as an adult! Happy planning.

Crystal J

Original Poster
The Halloween party start September 1 and the last one is Oct 31 - so two months worth.

My dad is not a fan of travel or crowds - hence taking myself and why my sister has never been - the October trip will be interesting!

ratherbeinwdw

The Halloween party start September 1 and the last one is Oct 31 - so two months worth.

My dad is not a fan of travel or crowds - hence taking myself and why my sister has never been - the October trip will be interesting!
If there is any chance of rain during MNSSHP, make sure and do the first parade. We made the mistake of waiting for the parade until the second one because it looked like it was through raining for the evening and the second one got rained out. Luckily, we had seen it before, but it was a letdown to not get to see it, especially when the first one wasn't rained out. I love the Christmas parade, but it really doesn't hold a candle to the Halloween one.

FlaggNL

We probably will be in The World at the same time in October ;) have fun in May and see you in October ..... ;) lol..... Enjoy the pre feelings ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom