Planning for summer hear and crowds - any tips?

Nia

Last few trips were all in October and I fear my October way of planning won't work in the summer.

Next trip we will be staying onsite for 16 days and have 14 days tickets and DDP, and going last week of June/first of July.

I was thinking for example perhaps EMH would be good idea as the weather would be slightly less hot, and lunch ADR would work well to take break from the heat. Do you use EMH? Do you take resort breaks? Do you visit water parks first followed by theme park or theme park am water park pm? What are your tips for planning for summer months? If we don't make ADR is there same day availability?

Figgy1

Premium Member
1. ROPE DROP and even better morning EMH rope drop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2. HYDRATE all qs have free water
3. ADRs during the hottest part of the day doing at sit down between 2 and 5 if you can work it gets you a rest in wonderful A/C
4 upstairs at CHH seriously even if you're not hungry it's a great place to hide out for a few
5. Inside shows between 2 and 5 see tip 3
6. Night time EMH but even better if you're hopping there from another less crowded park.
7. Water parks
8. FP Kali for between 2 and 5 see 3 and 5
9 Hall of Presidents
10 EPCOT the Land and the American Adventure between 2 and 5
11 Remember it will be more crowded than you're used to see tips 1 and 6
12 Hoppers, buses between parks are air conditioned
13 Pool Day
14 ADRs make them at exactly 180 days
15 Do the monorail hop
16 Have fun!!!!!!!!!! and smile you're at Disney

Upvote 0

Figgy1

Premium Member
Just to add do morning EMH rope drop and make fps for another park later in the day and your chances of walk up ADRs are slim to none at almost everywhere that 2 weeks. If you can get a walk up the wait will be so long it's not really worth it and with DDP you'll waste money. Make ADRs and you can always modify later. 4th of July is super crowded so you'll be better off going to MK on the 3rd if you want to see the 4th's fireworks and go to EPCOT on the 4th still crowded but better and they always have a few special things that day

Upvote 0

Nia

Original Poster
I was thinking of booking ADR that will allow us to see the fireworks from outisde the parks on 3rd and hit AK on 4th in hope it's little quieter.

Upvote 0

MagicalMaci

In the Parks
Yes
Sounds like you have an idea of what you might need to adjust already. We like to get up and go to rope drop or the early morning magic hours depending on park/day. We will typically make a lunch reservation in/near that park or try for a walk up somewhere (there are only two of us and being up so early we are usually at a restaurant at opening which makes it a bit easier, but still safer with an ADR). After lunch we will typically take a break at the resort to rest out of the heat for a few hours before heading back out for the evening.

A major factor in the summer is the SUN - sunscreen! Apply and reapply! Don't forget to hydrate. It can also rain/storm in the afternoon pretty often but pretty brief so you need to be ready for anything. Depending on the person there can also be extra sweat, we found ourselves changing in the afternoon to feel fresher for the evening so we went through more clothes.

Utilize the FP+ system and try to take breaks out of the sun. It will be crowded but manageable!

Personally I like water parks in the morning (rope drop) and then Epcot or Disney Springs that evening but I think you can make the reverse work as well.

Make a serious plan for the 3rd/4th and fireworks viewing- that will be tough but again with a plan very manageable!

Upvote 0

newhorizons1

Get some cooling towels (like frogg toggs) to help cool you down during the day. Also, definitely take advantage of the free ice water. Just go to any kiosk that serves fountain drinks and ask for a cup.

Upvote 0

newhorizons1

Also, since you are planning for such a long trip I would definitely go back to the resort to swim, relax, or just get away from the heat for a bit in between parks.

Upvote 0

Nia

Original Poster
Some great tips, thanks for taking the time to share them with me. The only thing I am disappointed little is that there will be no much ADR availability at the time but I will just book lunches to allow us to be flexible in the evening

Upvote 0

Figgy1

Premium Member
Some great tips, thanks for taking the time to share them with me. The only thing I am disappointed little is that there will be no much ADR availability at the time but I will just book lunches to allow us to be flexible in the evening
There will be plenty using your 180+ 10. BOG is a great one and only 1 lunch credit

Upvote 0

Nia

Original Poster
what about situations where we have no ADR for dinner booked but have fairly flexible range of time and restaurants? We were able to do that very easy in October.

Example at lunch time looking for any restaurant at epcot between 5 and 7, or any restaurant at MK resorts? We liked the flexibility but there were many options, do I need to book for all days/credits we have ahead or can I leave some to be decided on the day.

Upvote 0

Figgy1

Premium Member
what about situations where we have no ADR for dinner booked but have fairly flexible range of time and restaurants? We were able to do that very easy in October.

Example at lunch time looking for any restaurant at epcot between 5 and 7, or any restaurant at MK resorts? We liked the flexibility but there were many options, do I need to book for all days/credits we have ahead or can I leave some to be decided on the day.
Book every day and credit at 180! Those 2 weeks there will be very limited choices if any. No I'm not kidding. You can always check and see if there's something that may suit you better once you're there or at any time before you leave but do not leave it until the last minute or you will have a lot of wasted credits.

Upvote 0

DisDadWoz

Sunscreen, hydrate, repeat...
Do you have to do sit down for dinners each night? We found that the heat of the day didn't make us all that hungry some nights so we did some serious quick service sharing for the four of us.
Make sure you enjoy the time there and try to see some of those little Disney details hidden in the shade spots;)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom