Planning Expenses

TrainingDisneyRunner

Original Poster
Hi all! I'm planning for my first Disney World Half Marathon in 2016 and one of the hardest parts so far (other than training for the actual run!) has been trying to plan how much it might cost. I know that I have almost a year but I am on a student budget right now so I have to plan ahead so I can save up.

Anyone have any idea of what my biggest ticket items are going to be? I can plan for the resort, race registration, and plane ticket but could someone weigh in on whether it's better to go with the Dining Plan or just pay per meal? Also things like buying souvenirs at the expo, etc.

Thanks for the help! :)

JasonDeyoung

I go to the races solo so I don't do dinning plan and if you do it right you can get away with not spending much. As for the expo that's hit or miss. I know some ppl buy everything lol if you're just getting like some shirts which are around 20-25 I believe you'd be ok. Think I spent around 150 and that was around what I was expecting. Id say the resort, expo and dinning will be your major expenses and park tickets obv. As for meals I only ate twice a day and not a lot before the race so a meal plan made no sense especially like I said I was solo

imagination30

I did it in 2014 , and it was about 170 or so for registration ., then you figure in your airfare. along with your Mw pk if you go to the parks .. and how many days .. food expeneses + expo expenses!

TrainingDisneyRunner

Original Poster
I go to the races solo so I don't do dinning plan and if you do it right you can get away with not spending much. As for the expo that's hit or miss. I know some ppl buy everything lol if you're just getting like some shirts which are around 20-25 I believe you'd be ok. Think I spent around 150 and that was around what I was expecting. Id say the resort, expo and dinning will be your major expenses and park tickets obv. As for meals I only ate twice a day and not a lot before the race so a meal plan made no sense especially like I said I was solo
Thanks, Jason! I get a little carried away with the shopping sometimes so I'll be sure to bring some extra for the expo. Yeah, I'm thinking the dining plan may end up being a waste, especially if I get pre-race jitters and I'm not hungry.

JasonDeyoung

Thanks, Jason! I get a little carried away with the shopping sometimes so I'll be sure to bring some extra for the expo. Yeah, I'm thinking the dining plan may end up being a waste, especially if I get pre-race jitters and I'm not hungry.
Exactly, I went to the expo with a be real idea of what to spend and I was pretty spot on but some ppl got really carried away. Yeah race weekend you won't want to be pigging out too much lol race day I only ate once haha not sure what others do but just me I e never been a dining plan person I don't eat enough. Also the expo is pretty big with ally of vendors which you'll get a list of around a month before the race so you can get an idea what/who will be there you might be interested in

dreamfinder

I would strongly suggest not doing the dining plan. Odds are your fueling plans and food needs won't match up with what is included on the dining plan.

Stuff at the expo is typical high Disney prices, but a little more so in some cases. Figure $15 or so for a pin, $35 or so for a tech shirt, $50+ for a jacket/hoodie. You can see samples of this years merch here -> http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...isney-world-marathon-weekend-in-january-2015/ (I'd expect a similar selection of products, just different styles and obviously 2016 logos) and get an idea of pricing here -> http://www.disneystore.com/resorts-more/rundisney/mn/1000855/ They usually only put the generic runDisney merch online, but the prices should be similar.

Outside of the runDisney merch, everything else is pretty much going to be sold at MSRP prices. Some will do 10-30% off, but look at prices on something like Fleet Feet or RoadRunnerSports, or the ads in the back of Runners World to get an idea of costs.

JasonDeyoung

Sorry I forgot I got a 25% Passholder discount on runDisney merchsndise at the expo so prices could be a bit more not much though

dreamfinder

Sorry I forgot I got a 25% Passholder discount on runDisney merchsndise at the expo so prices could be a bit more not much though

Eh? As far as I know the standard AP discount currently being offered is 10% at WDW, for both normal AP and PAP. Were they running a special promo just for the expo?

JasonDeyoung

Eh? As far as I know the standard AP discount currently being offered is 10% at WDW, for both normal AP and PAP. Were they running a special promo just for the expo?
At the Expo they gave me 25%, asked if I was a Passholder showed them my discount card and told me it was 25% off my merchandise

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom