Planning an Asian Disney excursion...

xcorey21

Original Poster
So next year I'm planning to take a trip to DL Paris, the year after I was going to check out the new Shanghai resort but then realized there were two other Disney resorts over there. So I figured I might as well check them all out. Has anyone been to Tokyo or Hong Kong? Any recommendations on how long I should stay at each one? Should I stay on site or off site? Language barriers? Thanks!

Philo

I've only been to Tokyo, and I HIGHLY recommend it.

Out last trip was only a few weeks ago (video on this thread: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/tokyo-disney-seas-video-with-popcorn-hunting.902860/) and we only spent the one day there (at Disney Seas). Previous trips we've spent times at both parks and we have stayed on-site. You can probably dig up my trip reports if you're interested.

My advice:
  • Disney is great, but don't forget about the rest of Tokyo!
  • About 3 days would get you round both parks, but they are extremely busy parks pretty much thoughout the year so maybe look at 4 days if you like to take your time.
  • The onsite hotels are incredible. I stayed in the MiraCosta and it was easily the best hotel I've ever stayed in (Disney or otherwise). They are expensive though and a little tricky to book.
  • Tokyo Disney isn't that far away from the center of Tokyo and transport is very easy, so you could just travel in for the days you want to go to the park. Staying on site doesn't give you that many advantages compared to WDW (you get a small amount of extra time and the monorail is free to use).
  • The language barrier isn't a problem at all.
Hope that helps!

GiveMeTheMusic

You only need 2 days for HKDL tops. TDR only allows tickets up to 4 days in length - of course you can stay longer by buying separate tickets. The official hotels are basically on-site and provide great value and proximity (Hilton and Sheraton Tokyo Bay in particular). As @Philo said, you should take time in both HK and Tokyo to see those incredible cities - the parks are only a side attraction to what are some of the most incredible cities in the world.

malice

I've been to all the Disney parks worldwide and recommend 3 days at Tokyo and 1 day for Hong Kong (can be done in half day). I didn't have any difficulty communicating in HK as most residents are capable in English.

RobOttawa

I've been to them all. So for Tokyo, I'd recommend at least 3 days, possibly 4. Both parks are great and you'll want to do them in great depth. Also keep in mind that they get very very crowded. If you go on an even average day, you will only get a few attractions in. I would highly recommend booking to go during a slow time of year. Also, unlike other parks, in Tokyo guests line up super early, and then when the park opens they take all the Fast Passes. So you need to plan to be there a good hour before park opening.
For hotels, the Disney hotels are quite expensive but there are a number of good neighbour hotels that are going to be better. Compare those to hotels in Tokyo. I'd suggest 4 days at Disney and then move to a hotel in Tokyo for the next several nights to see the city.

For Hong Kong, think of it as Disneyland light. It's small, and without a lot of attractions. One day would be plenty. However Hong Kong itself is another wonderful city. I was very pleasantly surprised by it. I would suggest staying in the city. Then you can just take the subway to Disneyland for a day. Maybe go to Hong Kong before Tokyo... otherwise you'll be really disappointed with DLHK.

RobOttawa

^ Was the 5th anniversary celebration your most recent visit to Hong Kong Disneyland?

Yes. I was there in September but didn't get a chance to get to Disneyland. I wish I had, I know they've added a lot. I would have loved to see it. On that trip I had to decide to off from some business meetings in either Hong Kong or Tokyo to do Disney, and of course Tokyo won!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom