Planning a Trip for the second week in July, Am I crazy?

I booked my disney trip for the week of July 5th. After doing this, I looked at the crowd calenders and the weather reports... NOW I FEEL OVERWHELMED! It's the busiest month of the year and the hottest. Any advice?

ToTBellHop

I booked my disney trip for the week of July 5th. After doing this, I looked at the crowd calenders and the weather reports... NOW I FEEL OVERWHELMED! It's the busiest month of the year and the hottest. Any advice?
Drink lots of water and plan afternoon breaks at the hotel. As you know, it will be very crowded, very hot, very muggy, and rainy. But, you can still have fun at WDW in July.

Upvote 0

Jahona

I'll be there the same time. I went last year in the middle of July and it was just fine to me. It was crowded but it didn't feel over whelming. It will be crowded that weekend and for the next few days due to it being July 4th weekend. Just make sure to start hydrating at least a week before and drink water while you are there.

Upvote 0

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
Don't do it!!

In all seriousness any reason you can't go at another time? Are you locked into that week for any particular reason?

Upvote 0

VTdisneytravel

Original Poster
I'll be there the same time. I went last year in the middle of July and it was just fine to me. It was crowded but it didn't feel over whelming. It will be crowded that weekend and for the next few days due to it being July 4th weekend. Just make sure to start hydrating at least a week before and drink water while you are there.
I bought those cooling spray fans... Are they really ideal? The ones I bought were really big & I am hesitating on bring them all (I have 3 kids, so I will be carrying them all most likely). I'm from Vermont, so it's quite the temperature difference for me!

Upvote 0

DisneyMusician2

I think with a good plan you'll be okay, and plenty of mid-day breaks and A/C breaks. Just keep in mind that you may keep a slower pace. My kids LOVED the mist fans when we went in August a few years ago. Even if it didn't cool them down a bunch, it really helps distract them at the very least. Have you guys been before? How old are the kids?

Upvote 0

Jahona

I bought those cooling spray fans... Are they really ideal? The ones I bought were really big & I am hesitating on bring them all (I have 3 kids, so I will be carrying them all most likely). I'm from Vermont, so it's quite the temperature difference for me!

It's cheaper than buying them at the parks. I've never used one but the over spray while waiting in line does feel good. As for size, I carried a large water bottle with me in a small shoulder sling and it was manageable. If you are going to take a backpack or a bag with a water bottle pocket check to see if it fits.

Upvote 0

DisneyMusician2

WOW great ages! Mine were much smaller on our last trip in August and we still had a wonderful time.
We just did nap and pool time every day, and tried not to stress over the crowds. ADULTS stress over crowds, the kids have fun if the adults do from what I've seen from people I've sent.

And I'm always the most excited person in the family to go....

Have you looked at some TouringPlans for the times you're there?

Upvote 0

VTdisneytravel

Original Poster
Have you looked at some TouringPlans for the times you're there?
I did look into some and it all just looked confusing b/c I have no idea what they are talking about & what the distances covered looks like. I am waiting for a book that I ordered to come "THE UNOFFICIAL GUIDE TO DISNEY 2015" which includes maps and such, so that I can better understand what these Plans are talking about. I've been trying to watch U-Tube videos too, to get a better understanding of the distance between the lands. Depending on how much walking there is, depends on how much my kids can take! I like someone's comment (from some blog somewhere) that said that they highlighted the rides/meets that they wanted to go on in a map a head of time, then tried to aim for these as they went.

Upvote 0

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
Where are you staying in July? If you are close to the parks, you can take an afternoon break when it's at its hottest and then head back at dinner time. Afternoon breaks with young children is usually a good idea to begin with, but in that heat it really should be done. Drink lots of water and use lots of sunscreen. I'm from Jersey and while the heat and humidity can get bad in the summer here, it can become intolerable there in July and August.

Take advantage of morning extra magic hours to get in as much as possible at that park before leaving and like I said, go back to the hotel and rest/swim during the heat of the day and head back at dinner time for your meal and more park time.

Definitely put the 2 youngest in a double stroller with all the walking you will be doing also. If you are not planning to take your own, look at Kingdom Strollers. You can rent a stroller from them and they will drop it off at the hotel and then pick it up when you are done.

Have a wonderful time!!

Pam

Upvote 0

VTdisneytravel

Original Poster
Where are you staying in July? If you are close to the parks, you can take an afternoon break when it's at its hottest and then head back at dinner time. Afternoon breaks with young children is usually a good idea to begin with, but in that heat it really should be done. Drink lots of water and use lots of sunscreen. I'm from Jersey and while the heat and humidity can get bad in the summer here, it can become intolerable there in July and August.

Take advantage of morning extra magic hours to get in as much as possible at that park before leaving and like I said, go back to the hotel and rest/swim during the heat of the day and head back at dinner time for your meal and more park time.

Definitely put the 2 youngest in a double stroller with all the walking you will be doing also. If you are not planning to take your own, look at Kingdom Strollers. You can rent a stroller from them and they will drop it off at the hotel and then pick it up when you are done.

Have a wonderful time!!

Pam
Do you really think we need a stroller for a 5 and 6 year old?

Upvote 0

ToTBellHop

Do you really think we need a stroller for a 5 and 6 year old?
Do they ever use one at home? If not, no. You will see differing opinions on this, though. My parents started taking me to Disney when I was 5 and I was never in a stroller. Just make sure you take the afternoon break. That heat is hard on adults all day, let alone kids. Plus it pretty much rains every afternoon. No one likes soggy socks.

Upvote 0

gooftroop5

My hubby is a school administrator and gets 4 weeks off during the summer that just happen to fall in June/July. We go almost every year during this time. I agree with pp's about staying hydrated and taking breaks. Since you are staying on site you will get to take advantage of extra magic hours (EMHs). These are a lifesaver when beating the heat. We ALWAYS go the park that has evening EMH because after the sun goes down it cools off and the crowds tend to disperse. MK will be open until 2am on those days, midnight normally. Epcot will be open until 11pm, 9pm normally. HS will be open until midnight, 10pm normally. The next day we sleep in/swim/resort hop/etc. I also pays to take advantage of the morning EMH when one park will be open at 8am. The schedule is currently posted, but hours will be extended soon.

As far as a stroller is concerned......our youngest will just have turned 5 and we will be taking the stroller for this trip. Our others will be 8 and 11 and will have no problem walking. I would rather have a stroller than have to carry him because his little legs can't take it. With 3 kids the one pushing the stroller is in charge of the kid in the stroller plus the backpack and the other adult is in charge of keeping an eye on the other two kiddos. It just works for us. Also gives us a place to put "schtuff".

And yup.....it rains almost every afternoon. Usually it is very brief. We always have a story to tell about getting caught in the rain. Make sure to buy a few ponchos BEFORE you go.

There are also A LOT of air conditioned spaces at WDW. Plenty of places to cool off. Also don't forget that all counter service places will give you free ice water. No need to lug around a water bottle.

Relax. Have fun. Don't stress. Ask questions.

We will be there 7/4-7/19. :)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom