Planning 50th WDW anniversary stay

John park hopper

Original Poster
I know this is 4 years away and you may think I'm crazy for trying to plan so far ahead. Here goes. We have all ways stayed in the moderate resorts but for the 50th it will be my two sons and DI's and grandchildren girls 9 and 7 and at the moment son #1 wife pregnant so that grandchild will be about 3. Have all ways wanted to stay at one of the deluxe resorts Poly, Contemporary or Grand Floridian. Leaning towards the Poly Bungalow which says sleeps nine. Love the idea of having the small pool and being able to hop right over to MK or monorail to Epcot.The cost split 3 ways may justify the deluxe stay? Any thoughts or other suggestions. Is renting DVC points an option have read about it but never have.

LeighM

If you're looking into staying at DVC, definitely look into renting points instead of going direct through Disney. I've looked into it a few times but plans keep changing. Plus, one of my concerns is that, unless you get travel insurance, you don't get reimbursed for money spent on renting DVC points if you have to cancel. But one day, I'll be able to rent points.

Plus, I'm already thinking about the best time to go to WDW for the 50th :) I was there for the 45th last year and the crowds were nuts. So I'm trying to think of the most low crowds time to go.

UpAllNight

You're not crazy we are planning a similar upgrade for the 50th...2 or 3 weeks in a deluxe. Its 4 years away but pricey as heck, so much saving required. We're planning on Yacht or Beach Club, if they sort Epcot out.

Last edited:

DisAl

I guess there are a lot of us crazy people! We are planning for our 45th in about 18 months. We did WDW for our 35th and 40th and enjoyed it so much we want to do it again. The difference is that for our anniversary trips me and the wife go by ourselves. It is a totally different experience with just the two of us.
Don't feel bad for the rest of the family though, we are taking the whole family including the grandkids again next June.
:D On our 35th anniversary trip, our then 25 year old daughter told one of her friends "my family is torturing me!" When a concerned co-worker asked her what was the matter she told them "My parents are at Disney World and they keep sending me pictures on my phone!"

correcaminos

You aren't crazy. The direct prices for the Bungalows are pretty high, so I would likely rent the points for them. You will pay about $18-20/point for a Polynesian resort at 11 months. Fortunately the bungalows are the last to go (as are huge point rooms elsewhere) so you could book them at 7 months.

We adored our stay in the bungalows but it will be a price jump if you are used to the moderates. Also again we adored it, but if you are filling a bungalow to the brim occupancy wise (they sleep 8 adults not 9), realize that a group will have to sleep in the family/living room on the pull out couches and murphy beds. The master suite has a king bed and a beautiful bathroom (TV in mirror), sleeps 2. The 2nd bedroom has a queen and a murphy so it sleeps 3. The living area has pull out with a queen sofa and a murphy bed. So 3 more there. Under 3 can also join but would be stuck in a pack n play.

Again we LOVED it there! I mean it was the most special stay we have ever had BUT I don't think it works for you. I would highly suggest a 3 bedroom Grand Villa at Bay Lake Tower (walk to MK) or the Grand Floridian if you want to all share the same place. You will have 3 bedrooms. In BLT you have 2 floors with the living areas, kitchen and master suite on the first floor. The second floor will have 2 bedrooms (and two bathrooms) with 2 queen beds. So each family unit could have their own room with their own beds. At Grand Floridian it is all one floor with the master suite on the far end and then the kitchen and living area between with the other two bedrooms and bathrooms on the other end. Again each of the rooms has real beds. If someone wanted for each BLT and VGF they could sleep on a pull out couch/chair in the living area.

The other option would be 3 studios at the Polynesian - 2 could connect (we've done that as well). Each studio has 2 showers which is nice. Kids fit well on murphy beds. I'd pick them over the standard rooms for the layouts. Each kid could have their own bed.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
I guess there are a lot of us crazy people! We are planning for our 45th in about 18 months. We did WDW for our 35th and 40th and enjoyed it so much we want to do it again. The difference is that for our anniversary trips me and the wife go by ourselves. It is a totally different experience with just the two of us.
Don't feel bad for the rest of the family though, we are taking the whole family including the grandkids again next June.
:D On our 35th anniversary trip, our then 25 year old daughter told one of her friends "my family is torturing me!" When a concerned co-worker asked her what was the matter she told them "My parents are at Disney World and they keep sending me pictures on my phone!"
The OP is talking about going to WDW's 50th Anniversary in 2021, not celebrating his own 50th anniversary. Although at first I made the same assumption you did! ;)

John park hopper

Original Poster
Sorry if I did not make it clear I ment WDW 50th anniversary, though it will be our 44th wedding anniversary. Have all ready calculated the 499 day booking date as you have. Thanks Helenabear for your stay suggestions I will look into those options. What you suggested looks like a better fit

Last edited:

UpAllNight

I personally think the 50th celebration will run from something like May 2021 until maybe Sept 2022? Pure guess but I'd be surprised if they didn't milk it for most of 2021 and 2022.

correcaminos

Sorry if I did not make it clear I ment WDW 50th anniversary, though it will be our 44th wedding anniversary. Have all ready calculated the 499 day booking date as you have. Thanks Helenabear for your stay suggestions I will look into those options. What you suggested looks like a better fit
Good luck deciding where to stay! Feel free to ask any questions as I am rather familiar with DVC (owned since 2004). I would likely stay at BLT with your crew due to ages of kids. And if by chance another comes along, you'll have space!

John park hopper

Original Poster
I personally think the 50th celebration will run from something like May 2021 until maybe Sept 2022? Pure guess but I'd be surprised if they didn't milk it for most of 2021 and 2022.

We went to WDW 25th anniversary in the fall of 96, I can remember we had a minor hurricane in coastal SC got throught it with no major damage told the wife back the minivan grab the boys wer're going to WDW, I can't remember when the actually celebration started. Was it all of 96 into 97 or did it start in Oct the month WDW actually opened

Last edited:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Doubtful the celebration will start BEFORE the official anniversary date of 10/1/21. Very likely it will go through all of 2022.

UpAllNight

Doubtful the celebration will start BEFORE the official anniversary date of 10/1/21. Very likely it will go through all of 2022.

Didn't Disneylands 60th start before the actual anniversary? I seem to recall going for the 'millennium celebration' in spring 1999 too.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
If you're looking into staying at DVC, definitely look into renting points instead of going direct through Disney. I've looked into it a few times but plans keep changing. Plus, one of my concerns is that, unless you get travel insurance, you don't get reimbursed for money spent on renting DVC points if you have to cancel. But one day, I'll be able to rent points.

Plus, I'm already thinking about the best time to go to WDW for the 50th :) I was there for the 45th last year and the crowds were nuts. So I'm trying to think of the most low crowds time to go.

When during 2021 are you planning on going? The week of October 1st? Anytime during that year? Right now, the point per night for a bungalow in October is 120, weekends (Friday & Saturday) are 137. So a week will run around 874 points (Sunday - Sunday). The bungalows will be a premium point rental, so I'd plan on at least $20 per point - that's $17,500. At current points/prices. And like cash rates, points per night go up every year. And so will the cost per point to rent.

LAKid53

Premium Member

Disneyland's Diamond started in May 2015, a few weeks after my April visit. :(

John park hopper

Original Poster
When during 2021 are you planning on going? The week of October 1st? Anytime during that year? Right now, the point per night for a bungalow in October is 120, weekends (Friday & Saturday) are 137. So a week will run around 874 points (Sunday - Sunday). The bungalows will be a premium point rental, so I'd plan on at least $20 per point - that's $17,500. At current points/prices. And like cash rates, points per night go up every year. And so will the cost per point to rent.

Contemplating end of Oct early Nov 2021 or late Jan early Feb 2022 stilll early stage of planning, grandchildren will be in school probably take them out for a week without missin too much. It will be a big expense so have set up a vacation account. I look at it I ain't getting any younger don't know how many more WDW trips I got left

LAKid53

Premium Member
The bungalows officially sleep 8. The studios sleep 5. I'd go with a studio for each family, with two connecting. That way everyone gets sufficient bathrooms, sleeping arrangements, mini frig, coffee makers, microwave.....and privacy. Don't know how big the pull down bed in the bungalows are (they vary in size from resort to resort), but the one in the Poly studios is big - I slept in it with no problems; actually preferred it over the sleeper sofa.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom