Planet Hollywood Closing?

Unplugged

It's pretty weird checking the forums and seeing a rumor that the place you work at is closing. However, these rumors are false. There's a redo happening to the exterior, but nothing more than that. Were also one of the biggest restaurants on property, holding at most 1000 people at once.

First, welcome! Second, if you think that's weird, stick around awhile. You may want to take a few notes:
1) If someone says "a bus driver told me...", laugh it off and move on...no truth to it.
2) If you don't understand an an abbreviation, just ask. (And yes, you may need a secret decoder ring for some.)
3) If you like the big hat at the Studios, that's fine, just don't mention it here unless you have thick skin!
4) Finally, never ever bring up the "monorail extension".

...Oh, and if you hear anything interesting about the PH remodel, post it as we'd love to hear about it. Of course, you may have 30-40 people ask you for a source even though the source is you. Try not to take any offense.

Donald Razorduck

Themed restaurants have their place. The reason so many PHs closed is that they agressively expanded too quickly and into places that wouldn't support it for long. I've never expected great food at these places, just theme park quality cause that's what they really are. Hard Rock experienced the same and they are the ones that really got the whole memorbilia restuarant thing going but they are stable and growing the brand. A brand new restaurant in Memphis in the building Elvis bought his clothes has replaced a smaller one. They seem to be having success with the hotels as well. If only that Hard Rock theme park had been placed in Orlando as part of the Hotel at Universal.......and not in a crappy location in Myrtle Beach. That was a pity. Y'all vripe about the Landry Corps but man they have a concept going in the Houston area with the Aquarium downtown, Kemah and the Galveston Pleasure Pier. Shocked that the mixture of rides didn't show at Disney Springs considering Landry's large restuarant presence in Disney's footprint.

Last edited:

Spencerrr

Themed restaurants have their place. The reason so many PHs closed is that they agressively expanded too quickly and into places that wouldn't support it for long. I've never expected great food at these places, just theme park quality cause that's what they really are. Hard Rock experienced the same and they are the ones that really got the whole memorbilia restuarant thing going but they are stable and growing the brand. A brand new restaurant in Memphis in the building Elvis bought his clothes has replaced a smaller one. They seem to be having success with the hotels as well. If only that Hard Rock theme park had been placed in Orlando as part of the Hotel at Universal.......and not in a crappy location in Myrtle Beach. That was a pity. Y'all vripe about the Landry Corps but man they have a concept going in the Houston area with the Aquarium downtown, Kemah and the Galveston Pleasure Pier. Shocked that the mixture of rides didn't show at Disney Springs considering Landry's large restuarant presence in Disney's footprint.
ughh Laundrys is an awful monopoly in Houston and Galveston

Donald Razorduck

ughh Laundrys is an awful monopoly in Houston and Galveston
How in the world are they a monopoly? No one is blocking competition. Now they have satuated the market but if they are so awful, competition shouldn't shy away. Kemah Boardwalk was clean, operations pleasant and with a variety of offers availible like the Houston City Pass, it was affordable. No complaints about the Pier either as long as you had promotional offerings.

The good food was at the Pappadeuxs we ate at on the mainland.

I'd love for Landry's Kemah-ize Mud Island in Memphis.

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes
I go every single trip. For the Crunch Chicken. That is all I have even ate there so I don't know if anything else is good but that chicken is amazing.

baloofigment14

Saw on Twitter that the Dinosaur from outside Planet Hollywood is now gone. Pic from @ schmoofy
By9PfDqCIAATdLm.jpg

Last edited:

tigger1968

I had two dining experiences there years ago and both were terrible. Bad food and bad service. With so many better choices at WDW and Downtown Disney, this pit of despair fell off my radar screen long ago. I just took a trip through their website and trust me, its good that this location is getting a re-do of any sort. PH is down to just 8 restaurants world wide, Duisberg, Germany, London, and DLP internationally. Here they are in Niagra Falls, Myrtle Beach, Vegas, NYC, and of course WDW.

Reading the web content of the locations is sad...lots of "come watch the celebs as you wine and dine" statements. I doubt any star would be caught dead in one of these, save maybe Las Vegas or NYC. The last "celeb sighting" on their press page is 6 months old in fact. Wikipedia has a listing of the nearly 100 closed locations they once had.

I didn't know that PH owns Bucca Di Beppo. Interesting.

Anyway, I think that the proposed makeover would go a long way to helping this location. Assuming that the interior, and menu, get a major makeover as well. I suspect that a lot of people would give this new concept a shot, me included.

Cmdr_Crimson

So since the store from the outside of PH was removed....And Depending on if it's still going to be PH. One other thing comes to mind.....What about the fate of the oddly stand alone store at DHS? (Which I think has absolutely nothing to do with being at the park unless they had the restaurant attached to the park like the ill fated David Copperfield Undergroud concept)..
Planet+Hollywood+Disney+world.jpg

Personally..I do hope this goes.....It was such an odd thing to see off of Sunset Blvd...And I highly doubt anyone really wanted to purchase a shirt for a restaurant that wasn't even in the park. Heck if they just make it another generic store..Liiiiiike oh I Dunno..."The Jack of all Trades" An entire store devoted to all things Jack....Skellington & Sparrow.....It's not like we see it everywhere where don't want to...:rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom