Plan of action

Nestlejean55

Original Poster
what would be the best plan of action for, mainly seeing all of the Harry Potter things and maybe a few others in one day? Four ladies are going in November and driving from Bonnet Creek. We hope to get there around 8:30 ish, park and get into...which park first? We will have one day park to,park tickets. We may purchase the express type parking to,park a little closer. We will get worn out with too much walking quickly and it can be a far walk just getting into the park from parking! We are not buying express passes for the rides as we mainly want Harry Potter things, the ret will be just extras. I am not sure which park to go to first and what to see first. Also, do they let you in the park before 9? I hope to leave the resort to drive there a little before 8. Thanks for any and all help. Also, we are not fond lovers of wild roller coasters. Thunder mtns at disney is fine. Rock and roll roller coaster is not. Any Harry potter rides we should avoid? I hate to miss any if they are not that bad....

stevehousse

Definitely following along! We r planning on spending a day at universal next fall with a park to park 1 day ticket, mainly for Harry Potter lands, but would like to also experience some of the other attractions.

I have never been to Universal Studios, and only been to IOA once, when the first HP land was being built.

Texas84

Here's our November plan.

Diagon Alley and Gringott's first. Hogwarts Express to Hogsmeade and explore and ride. Do other IoA attractions. Lunch at Mythos. Express back to London and do other rides in USF.

Philharmagically

From what I've read on TouringPlans/Guide to WDW, the best plan of action would be to get to IoA, straight away take the Hogwarts Express to Diagon Alley, hit Diagon Alley then spend the morning in Universal checking out the other rides. Lunch at the Leaky Cauldron, then either ride the Hogwarts Express back to Hogsmeade, or just walk if the lines are too long. Then, do everything you want to do in IoA first, dinner in Hogsmeade, then tackle WWoHP in the evening when crowds are a lot less (everyone is over at Uni watching the nighttime show).

I'll be trying this out in April next year towards the end of the month when it's slightly less busy

JT3000

Also, we are not fond lovers of wild roller coasters. Thunder mtns at disney is fine. Rock and roll roller coaster is not. Any Harry potter rides we should avoid? I hate to miss any if they are not that bad....

Dragon Challenge would be out of the question.

You should be able to handle Gringotts, although there is a small drop that leads into a very short coaster section. Hope you like spinning.

Hippogriff is a kiddie coaster.

Hogwarts Express is as tame as they come.

Forbidden Journey is a wild card. It's not a coaster, but it's somewhat intense in its own way. There's no other ride like it, so unfortunately there's nothing I can compare it to. You should try it, but I can't promise you won't be a little worse for wear when it's over. ;)

If you get around to doing other things, you should probably avoid Revenge of the Mummy as well. Hulk and Rockit too, but those will be obvious.

Last edited:

danpam1024

Don't forget you have to ride HE BOTH ways! I would start off in DA and skip one Olivanders. Shopping is better in DA- I guess they learned from Hogsmead. Don't miss Myrtle in the Public Conveniences (IOA side).

BrerJon

I'd say start with the Studios and head to Diagon Alley because thematically it's better, as you start in the 'real world' of London, then visit the crazy alternate London of Diagon Alley, maybe ride Gringotts and take in the stores, then can take the Hogwarts Express (the must-do attraction) over to the other park and enjoy the completely fantastical Wizarding World side of things. Once you are done at IOA, maybe take the Hogwarts back to the other park for the rest of the day.

Also make a wish-list of non-Potter rides from both parks, and do those too, but if you have Express pass you will have no trouble fitting a lot into one day, as crowds in November will be light.

And don't forget to try some of the crazy drinks and ice cream flavours. Try the butterbeer early in the day, as if you like it you'll want a couple more! It comes in drink, frozen slushee and ice cream formats (I like the frozen ones the best).

stevehousse

I'm going next October. Is Halloween horror nights every night or just on the weekends? Was thinking of going to Uni on a Wednesday or Thursday.

danpam1024

I'm going next October. Is Halloween horror nights every night or just on the weekends? Was thinking of going to Uni on a Wednesday or Thursday.
Some thursdays, some Wednesdays- last year we went on a Wednesday, had EP and got to see 6 houses- it was super busy, but still loads of fun.

ratherbeinwdw

We just did Uni for the first time last weekend. We ended up having to go three mornings to get the few things we wanted to ride done. We started in Universal Studios two of the mornings and IOA one of the mornings as, even though we were there early, Gringotts was down all three days for a long time. When we got there the second morning, the cm said it had been down since they opened for resort guests at 7, and he didn't know how long it would be before it was back up. The wait was at 110. This was at close to 10. This ride is very intense. We finally got in the single rider line the third day and my daughter was able to get on within 15 minutes even though the standby was at 60 minutes. Make sure and do the single rider line if it is open. They close it when the stand-by line gets too long.
My daughter was able to get on Forbidden Journey two of the mornings we were there (walk-on once and 10 minutes the other time, but the other morning the Hogwarts Express broke down and we were in line at King's Cross, an hour before they even told us that they didn't know when it would be back up. They finally kept saying 15 more minutes. The workers couldn't even figure out the problem. They would stand in a huddle and try to decide what to try next. We made it all the way to loading when they said it would be 15 more minutes once again. We were too tired of standing, after five days of Disney and Uni, to stand another minute, so we asked for a pass to another ride. They asked which ride we wanted and actually called the cm at Men in Black and told them to let us go through the express line. Which they did. One of my favorite rides there. Even with motion sickness problems and a bad back, I had no trouble with this ride.
They don't offer us a front-of-line pass, like Disney does. You have to ask. Most people just walked out after all that waiting.
I recommend starting at Journey (save the sightseeing for later), then catching the Express to the Studios as there was never any wait at all going from Hogsmead to Diagon Alley, but we had to wait both times we tried for a long time going the other way. We never did get to do the Studios to IOA way, which I was told is the more exciting way. It is different both ways. We did the IOA to Studios way twice. There is a really neat effect in King's Cross Station when you get close to loading where it looks like you are going through a brick wall. If you want a picture of someone going through, you have to stop a ways back and let the one who will be in the picture go ahead so you can take their picture. I videoed my daughter going through. It really looks like she goes through the wall.
The restaurants in both areas are ridiculously priced for what you get. We couldn't believe the breakfast platter that is only around 8 at Disney is 16.99. Lunch was just okay. My daughter loved the butterbeer. She got it twice.
Her favorite ride, ever, is Forbidden Journey. She loved it. She told me that if I take something for motion sickness, that I'll love it too. She said that it is a very smooth ride that wouldn't hurt my back. I may do it next trip.
Be careful about opening times on their app. It said that Universal Studios didn't open until 9, but it opened at 8. We knew it opened at 8 on Horror Nights, but this wasn't a party night.

JillC LI

I agree with the poster above who said that FJ is VERY intense. I can handle RnRC but I don't like E:E or ToT because of the drops. There is a lot of swooping in FJ, and it is very fast with a lot of motion. I felt queasy afterwards and did not want to ride it again, but I was glad I had experienced it after hearing so much about it and being such a huge HP fan.

Nestlejean55

Original Poster
Sounds like there has been and still is a lot of trouble/ breakdowns of Gringotts. I was hoping that was fixed. So many great suggestions. I wish we had fast passes and several days to do everything. I think it will be a tiring day....but oh so FUN! Now to stats making my lists of what to do.....

Bairstow

Just did Islands/Studios today and yesterday using express passes and a LOT of shoeleather. We were able to do darn near everything twice at both parks.

As others have said, Gringotts is extremely unreliable. Using early admission, we rode it both days by arriving in the park before general admission at 8 and both times waited over an hour due to breakdowns. The first time we rode it, all the preshow elements were disabled. We wanted to go a third time this evening around 6:00 but the ride was down again. The attendants said it had already been down for over an hour and the attraction was still caput when the park closed at 7:00. In short, try to ride early and try often or you might not get to ride at all.

Of the two Potter areas, Hogsmeade at Islands looks more impressive after sunset and after 4, Forbidden Journey, which never accepts express pass, is nearly a walk-on, so consider ending a day there.

Go to the money exchange and loudly ask the Goblin a question.

Don't miss Mummy, Men in Black, or Spiderman. All three are on par with Gringotts in my book. Mummy might be a little intense for you- sharper turns than Big Thunder, but smoother and in the dark.

Dragon Scale is the best wizard beer.

It takes a LONG time to explore all the nooks and crannies of Diagon Alley. We explored and took pictures for nearly an hour before we found the entrance to Nocturne Alley. If you think you might be missing something, chat up one of the many, many cast members in the area and ask for suggestions. All of the ones we talked to were very enthusiastic and happy to help, probably because they were glad to take a break from helping little kids with their interactive wands.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom