Placing Orders at Counter Service Spots

David

Original Poster
I have not read any mention of this, but when we visited Disneyland last summer, at many of the counter restaurants you used a touch screen to place your orders. Sounds simple enough, but almost everyone had trouble with the system. In fact, they still had CM's standing by to help take orders, and tell you how to proceed. I had the impression this was on a trial run, and I since we have not been to WDW since 2004, I was wondering if we will be facing those darn things in October when we are there.

wannab@dis

I didn't see any when we were at WDW in December.

I personally think it's a great idea. But, like the stores with self-checkout stations, they need to have normal ordering lines for those technologically challanged guests.

David

Original Poster
I like the concept and use the self-check out stations myself, but for some reason, the design of the DLR system was not user friendly. You would enter a request then go to another screen and start entering another order, then it might go back and ask for more details on the first order, or it might just stall for several minutes while everyone waited. Most people complained about having the service and still needing a person to take and place your order.

wannab@dis

Sounds like they had some kinks to work out. I was in a Taco Bell several years ago that had self-service ordering kiosks. They worked wonderfully for us, but some people just couldn't figure it out. I guess they didn't get a high percentage of acceptance since I've not seen it added to other locations.

MansionFan415

I am not a big fan of the SELF service, but then I am. I do like them because they are not hard to work, you can place exactly what you want to order, and they can make service go SO much faster.

I DON'T like them because it seems 95% of the world has no idea how to use them. I know yall have been to wal-mart and been behind someone at the self check-outs when someone just STARES at the screen and has no clue how to use it and just keeps passing the box back and forth over the damn scanner.

But I like the idea of being able to tell a person my order. Just remember folks when you go to such places as Pecos Bill's and Cosmic Ray's....THERE ARE TWO SIDES TO EVERY REGISTER!:D

kal1484

MansionFan415 said:
But I like the idea of being able to tell a person my order. Just remember folks when you go to such places as Pecos Bill's and Cosmic Ray's....THERE ARE TWO SIDES TO EVERY REGISTER!:D

shhh...the less people that know, the shorter line I have to wait in! :lookaroun

Invero

I just got back from Disneyland, and did use those self serve kiosks.

They must have updated the software or something, because when I used it, I found it incredibly intuitive, and incredibly easy to use. Yet, barely anyone could figure it out, and the lines moved so slowly. It didn't matter though, the food getters were even slower.

MY problem with the system is that they hadn't activated the discount swiper yet, so in order to get my CM discount they had to void my transaction and re-do it manually when I got to the counter. I also couldn't charge it back to my room.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
There's a McD's on the way to WDW from me that had this kiosk style and the problems came when you went off of the standard Value Meal menu.

Don't want pickles and onions? That's like 5mins of your life poking buttons.

Anything tried to force you to buy fries, as if digitally asking "Do you want fries with that?"

I've noticed that a surprising number of people have special orders, and I have them too. I think that along with the forced upsell (like websites that click the boxes "for more information on..." rather than having you click which ones you want) slow things down.

shoppingnut

mousermerf said:
Don't want pickles and onions? That's like 5mins of your life poking buttons.

Anything tried to force you to buy fries, as if digitally asking "Do you want fries with that?"

I've noticed that a surprising number of people have special orders, and I have them too. I think that along with the forced upsell (like websites that click the boxes "for more information on..." rather than having you click which ones you want) slow things down.

I order my cheeseburgers without pickles and mustard all the time and sometimes the people at the restaurant have a hard time with it, I can't imagine some technology challenged person being in front of me trying to order something special, I'd probably want to kill them or push them out of the way and place their order myself!! I must say that the upselling would annoy me too and probably does increase the time it takes anyone to order.

I've used the self checkouts at Walmart, but generally don't anymore because there is always someone that is in front of you have has problems and you end up waiting longer then if you went and stood in the regular line.

MansionFan415

wdwprincess03 said:
shhh...the less people that know, the shorter line I have to wait in! :lookaroun

Sorry sorry....you are right. I just think it's so hilarious when I walk up to the other side...and everyone just stares when the cast member takes my order before the 80 of them!;)

Woody13

MansionFan415 said:
Sorry sorry....you are right. I just think it's so hilarious when I walk up to the other side...and everyone just stares when the cast member takes my order before the 80 of them!;)
Me too. I do it all the time at WDW. :wave:

drnilescrane

Invero said:
The place by Soarin is where I used it
That's how I missed it... I only spent one day in DCA (Comapred to 5 in Disneyland) and I ate back at my hotel (White Water Snacks at the Grand Californian)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom