Pizza flyer scam still happening in the Orlando area

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Original Poster
This more of a FYI, keep on your toes kind of news. For those that do not know what the pizza flyer scam is here is the low down.

You find a flyer for $9.99 pizza delivery slipped under your hotel room door. It is typically a restaurant you have never heard of and no address is on the flyer.....just a phone number. So you decide to give your wallet a break from $10 cheese burgers and order a couple of cheap pizzas from the flyer. Low and behold no pizza's show up and your credit card that you gave them is maxed out with fraudulent charges.

From the article it does not look like WDW hotels are being targeted but the problem at off property resorts especially along I-drive is as bad as ever.

So word to the wise.....if you see one of these fliers tell the hotel management and above all do not order from them.

http://jacksonvillenorthestates.firstcoastnews.com/news/crime/taking-weekend-trip-orlando-dont-order-pizza/54964

Scuttle

Here's the deal. I work at Loews Royal Pacific resort at Universal Orlando. We have pizza people come through and slip flyers under the doors, but these people are actually from a legit pizza place. It's only an issue at "open door" hotels. Just be very careful. Ask a few questions about the menu and food items before giving your credit card number. And if you have cash USE it and don't use your card. Just be very cautious. Like the OP look for an address as well.

GrumpyFan

Thanks for the head's up on this!
I'm always amazed at the length to which many criminals will go to make a few bucks. Hopefully these perps will be apprehended and prosecuted to the full extent of the law, or shot on sight!
The local pizza joints should call in a bounty hunter to take care of this problem, as I'm sure this will cause them some drop in sales from legitimate customers wanting buy pizza. But then again, most tourists don't read up on the local news, so there could be quite a few more who get ripped off.

jessfriends

I noticed these under our door a couple of weeks ago. We stayed at the Poly. We had no interest in ordering as we had the dining plan, but they were annoying and I was surprised to see them so often. I had no idea it was a scam, but they did look weird.

Scuttle

I noticed these under our door a couple of weeks ago. We stayed at the Poly. We had no interest in ordering as we had the dining plan, but they were annoying and I was surprised to see them so often. I had no idea it was a scam, but they did look weird.

It wasn't neccessarily a scam 9-10 it is not and it is local pizza joints illegally trespassing to slip the papers under the doors. They tell us if we see them report them to security at Royal Pacific. So either way they are breaking a law just one more severe than the other.

wdwfan22

we had one under our door at the Beach Club in March. Security was going around trying to collect them as fast as they could but we had returned to our room and already seen it.

rangerbob

This has been going on for quite a while here. The hotels were supposed to put up a sign at the front desk that says something about ignore any flyers that get pushed under the doors and that they have a list of legitamite pizza places that can deliver to the property.

JIMINYCR

I feel real sorry for anyone caught in a scam situation. I remember Disney had been warning guests also about giving out their credit card numbers to anyone calling rooms regarding other reservations. Once the card number was given out it was too late. Too bad this world is full of people who try to prey on others instead of working for a living.

_Scar

Wow! Thanks for making this thread, I had no idea this was going on.

Doesn't Disney have security cameras to stop these people?

Testtrack321

Hotels should just post a sign on the door inside the room talking about solicitations and flyers for illegal activities and tell guests to call the front desk for an official list of pizza places. Sure you'd still get idiots who'd call and order, but hopefully it'll stop the majority of people.

MnDisneyFan

These "people' are getting away with it because this is how they pass out their menu's. A car pulls up drops off 3 or 4 people who have these menu's in a hand bag or pants pocket. Ever notice the size of them. Easy to hide. They walk into your hotel or motel 1 or 2 persons per floor or building and they just walk along sliding them under doors.

They freak out when they get approached about passing them out. if you are wondering how I know this, before we moved to Fla we came down on vacation and we followed them one night. While on vacation we had 4 dropped off in one night all from different places.

All major hotel chains have deals with, the real pizza places. (D.PJ.PH.) Disney has some hotels like ALL Star that have pizza in the hotel. The real pizza chains can not go to your room, you have to come to the lobby. Safety issue.

Remember as Disney says to its cast members "SafeD" begins with me. Cast members will always help you. If you have any questions just call guest services.

Disney05

Had one of those flyers put under our door at the CSR last month. Just threw it out. We did order Papa Johns pizza and the driver said they were not allowed to deliver to the room. I had to meet him in the lobby. Actually I met him in the driveway.

SleepingMonk

From the same groups that run the school trip, surplus cologne, magazine subscription, etc...scams.

You usually have a small group of adults running the real money and 10-20 juveniles out working the street.

tecowdw

Hotels should just post a sign on the door inside the room talking about solicitations and fliers for illegal activities and tell guests to call the front desk for an official list of pizza places. Sure you'd still get idiots who'd call and order, but hopefully it'll stop the majority of people.

Agreed! Seems like an inexpensive way for Disney (and others) to kill the scam. If the hotel is informing guests about the warning, the pool of people that actually call based on the flier would dry up significantly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom