"Pixie Dust" it really does happen!

Rebel

Original Poster
Before our June trip, I read through many posts getting hints and advice about how to make our trip magical. I read a few stories about guests receiving unexpected "happies" from CMs or even other guests, and my first thought was that is probably extremely rare and didn't give it any more thought.
My family of three were sitting in AK eating lunch, and an older gentleman approached us with a smile and gave us three Jungle Book dining package tickets. He explained they had to leave and couldn't use them! I was touched thinking we looked like a sweet family and that's why he chose us, and quickly my daughter said, "probably because we are the first party of three he saw" either way it made me feel wonderful!

The next day after we rode RNR, I approached the picture counter to order our hilarious action shot from the ride. The CM had trouble getting our picture to show up, and I said "It's okay I'll catch it online the kids are in a hurry thank you though". She then said to wait just a minute she would get it right, so I did with a smile. She got the order straight, gave us 2 anytime fast passes each, and gave me both picture packages for free! She thanked me for being so friendly to her even though she was struggling with the order. I felt overwhelmed and a little sad that kindness seemed to be rare in her daily encounters with guests.

So, be pleasant to everyone without expecting anything in return and you might get pleasantly surprised!

Last edited:

Jim Buck

We were there in early June and my wife was just joking with some TSMM employees and complimenting one of them on their smile. Then she told the manager that the ride operator was fun and friendly and had a great smile. The manager had to ride to check out for quality on the third track and rode in the second car with our family facing and we teased the whole ride. At the end of the ride she gave our family if three NINE paper fast passes for any ride in DHS for the next week!

JohnD

Thats awesome!
Disney World still is very magical but you would never know pixie dust exists if your constantly on here listening to the crybabies whine like children about the dumbest things

You'd think pixie dust is a bad thing by many posts all over this forum, particularly the news and rumors section where everyone is an expert and if you dare mention anything positive at all, you're branded a "pixie duster." I get looking at WDW objectively but what's wrong with a little pixie dust when you're on vacation there?

Rebel

Original Poster
You'd think pixie dust is a bad thing by many posts all over this forum, particularly the news and rumors section where everyone is an expert and if you dare mention anything positive at all, you're branded a "pixie duster." I get looking at WDW objectively but what's wrong with a little pixie dust when you're on vacation there?
Exactly my point! If you have a pleasant look about you and have patience with even difficult situations most people will naturally want to help you. I walked around observing how hard many of these CMs were working (many of them young college kids and senior citizens) in the heat and had all the compassion in the world for them! They seemed grateful for any kindnesses they received, and just because you paid a lot of money for your vacation you should realize they are not the ones getting rich I can assure you! Ofcourse there will be bad apples but I'm sure with most of them a smile will go a long way in making your "magic" happen!

JohnD

Exactly my point! If you have a pleasant look about you and have patience with even difficult situations most people will naturally want to help you. I walked around observing how hard many of these CMs were working (many of them young college kids and senior citizens) in the heat and had all the compassion in the world for them! They seemed grateful for any kindnesses they received, and just because you paid a lot of money for your vacation you should realize they are not the ones getting rich I can assure you! Ofcourse there will be bad apples but I'm sure with most of them a smile will go a long way in making your "magic" happen!

I found that putting in a pleasant attitude and making the attempt to be courteous to CMs and guests alike, I had a more enjoyable experience. Small things like holding open the handicapped gate for someone in a wheelchair when exiting the ferry or giving away a dollar off coupon at Ghiardelli's. Receiving a high five from a father just so that he could purchase ice cream for his child just one dollar less was gold.

Wdw62114

Very well said! I'm glad i'm not the only one who noticed the attitudes of people in the news section. never have I run across so many ignorant, over entitled, stubborn, know-it-all whiners in all my life. I always think "geez! If these people are like this when on vacation, I can't imagine how they act in their real lives". They need to do everyone a favor and just stop going to the World. No matter how many price increases Disney does or posters they delay on replacing (yes there is an actual thread about the circus posters being faded), everytime I go to the MK and walk do Main Street USA and see the castle, EVERYTHING is magical and I don't even think about complaining.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Very well said! I'm glad i'm not the only one who noticed the attitudes of people in the news section. never have I run across so many ignorant, over entitled, stubborn, know-it-all whiners in all my life. I always think "geez! If these people are like this when on vacation, I can't imagine how they act in their real lives". They need to do everyone a favor and just stop going to the World. No matter how many price increases Disney does or posters they delay on replacing (yes there is an actual thread about the circus posters being faded), everytime I go to the MK and walk do Main Street USA and see the castle, EVERYTHING is magical and I don't even think about complaining.
Or, they'll just keep on posting. Sorry to disappoint....

JohnD

Agree. I could look at Epcot objectively and say it needs some love (Energy, Imagination anyone?) But the naysayers would then blame everything on Iger regardless of what's done at WDW and that everything is ruined. Oh, and don't say you like SW Galactic Spectacular. That makes you a pixie duster.,You're not supposed to like it unless the fireworks are in central sight lines, you see. And thinking it's right they removied some alligator elements out of common decency? Overreactive and WDW wanting PR out of a tragedy. All these theories and ideas have actually been put forward. Reading some of those posts you'd swear this forum is WDWTragic not WDWMagic. When I go in late October, I plan to absorb the magic and block out a week of reality, especially before the election!

olie64

Well this seem like a great thread to put this story:
Two weeks ago, we were at HS waiting to get in. A mom with her two kids were behind us and a family of four in front. The mom was going to try to get her son signed up for the Jedi Training then rush to meet the rest of her family for breakfast. Well the little girl start to have a melt down for some reason, and the little boy from the group of 4 came and gave her a small Mickey. The mom didn't want the girl to take it but the parents of the boy said no the kids each bought a Mickey with they vacation money to give to some one who needed it. Needless to say the little girl smiled and was happy the mother had a tear in her eye and everyone around just smiled.. It definitely had a positive effect on everyone that was in that area of the line.

draybook

Thats awesome!
Disney World still is very magical but you would never know pixie dust exists if your constantly on here listening to the crybabies whine like children about the dumbest things

You mean those of us who notice the bad and are okay knowing that we still love the place even when we give criticism? How exactly do you "listen to people whine" on a text based forum?

Rebel

Original Poster
Well this seem like a great thread to put this story:
Two weeks ago, we were at HS waiting to get in. A mom with her two kids were behind us and a family of four in front. The mom was going to try to get her son signed up for the Jedi Training then rush to meet the rest of her family for breakfast. Well the little girl start to have a melt down for some reason, and the little boy from the group of 4 came and gave her a small Mickey. The mom didn't want the girl to take it but the parents of the boy said no the kids each bought a Mickey with they vacation money to give to some one who needed it. Needless to say the little girl smiled and was happy the mother had a tear in her eye and everyone around just smiled.. It definitely had a positive effect on everyone that was in that area of the line.
I love it!!! Perfect!

graphite1326

We have found if you go in with a pleasant attitude you will have a much better time even if nothing magical happens. It just seems to us the whole experience is magical. Like someone said above, just the small things like holding the door or striking up a conversation with someone in line makes a big difference in your vacation. The only magical experience we ever had was when the CMs were randomly doing something magical (can't remember what that was called) and we got to go on EE without standing in line. Other than that just the general experience has been enough for us to keep going back.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom