Pirates ride, where's the mermaids?

raymusiccity

I can't really say I agree If the logic is that the fort is the same one that is being attacked inside the ride why would there be a Barker Bird there. Same with the talking skull being in the caves which is not haunted in the same way as the DL one, Same issue with Jones and Blackbeard.

There really wasn't any conflict with the bird's placement. He was located on the outside, facing Tortuga, literally acting as a 'barker' :)

HMF

There really wasn't any conflict with the bird's placement. He was located on the outside, facing Tortuga, literally acting as a 'barker' :)
Yeah but the idea is the fort that serves as the attraction facade is supposed to be the same fort you see in the ride, Why would there be a Barker Bird on that fort? It's also why in retrospect removing the original marquees actually makes sense.

Cosmic Commando

Never mind the fact that in the movies only Jack himself refers to himself as "Captain" Jack Sparrow
That's honestly my biggest problem with the refurb. Arguments aside of whether or not the movie characters should be there, it completely takes me out of the ride when everybody calls him CAPTAIN Jack Sparrow. It's completely out of character for everyone in the movie; it is an actual, running joke that nobody calls him captain.

HMF

That's honestly my biggest problem with the refurb. Arguments aside of whether or not the movie characters should be there, it completely takes me out of the ride when everybody calls him CAPTAIN Jack Sparrow. It's completely out of character for everyone in the movie; it is an actual, running joke that nobody calls him captain.
Indeed, The refurb did extensive damage to the premise of both the rides and the movies.

999th Happy Haunt

While I'm fine with having characters from the movies in ride, I'm not fine with how EVERY SINGLE PIRATE IS TALKING ABOUT JACK SPARROW. All the mystery of the pirates and why they're there is gone. If they had a few Jack Sparrow animatronics here and there, and maybe even just mention him once or twice, I'd be fine with it because it's not changing the premise of the entire ride.

Brer Oswald

the biggest reaction I ever saw to it was a raised eyebrow...
Now what if one of the skeletons on the beach morphed into Jack Sparrow (Shanghai)and welcomed you to follow him back in time... now THAT would be an addition that would actually move the story a bit...
That would be amazing!

HowAboutDisney

Original Poster
IMG_2391.JPG
I got on pirates today. The mermaid is still singing but no Mermaid projectors.. also the ride broke down right before the drop. We had to exit the ride but I got this picture of the drop with the lights on.

HMF

View attachment 194932 I got on pirates today. The mermaid is still singing but no Mermaid projectors.. also the ride broke down right before the drop. We had to exit the ride but I got this picture of the drop with the lights on.
That rockwork on the left needs work you can see the outline of where the talking skull used to be and his speaker is still there.

Last edited:

RobotWolf

The Jack Sparrow effect at Shanghai takes advantage of that very special ride system. Perfect timing is necessary. The speed of free-floating boats with varying loads is not consistent enough.

Couldn't the story be altered to make more sense? It doesn't make sense in its current state to begin with.

Yes, it could be reverted to its original state.

Brer Oswald

The Jack Sparrow effect at Shanghai takes advantage of that very special ride system. Perfect timing is necessary. The speed of free-floating boats with varying loads is not consistent enough.
That's a fair point. If the ride is ever overhauled (which at some point it will) then it might make more sense then. That'll be very far into the future though.

999th Happy Haunt

What's the consensus on the siren song replacing the cave music? I personally liked the cave music much better but I'm curious to see what everyone else though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom