Pirates of the Scaribbean

Phroobar

Original Poster
Years ago I remember reading an article that TDA was considering making a nighttime experience for Pirates of the Caribbean. At dusk, boats would still float pass the pirate ship battle but instead of going to mayor dunking scene, the boats would go under the bridge to the left. All new scenes would be made where the pirates would turn in skeletons in the moonlight. They would notice your boat floating through and attack your boat. There was suppose to be a scene were a pirate would jump across your boat but half way turn into a skeleton. It was suppose to be a more intense version of the show. The boat would reenter the regular flume at the jail scene.

Of course they never went through with this addition to the ride. It was back in the time when Space Mountain was to switch to Rockit Mountain at night. There is suppose to be plenty of room backstage for such ride additions. Do you think they should have gone through with it?

Last edited:

Rich T

Yeah, that came up at the peak of Black Pearl's success, when the movie franchise was something new and fun. I like the idea of an alternate nighttime route, and I would have preferred they had done that rather than how they actually ended up forcing the movie elements into the main ride.

I'm still so ticked off about the upcoming change. Not so much 'cause of the bride auction going away, but by the stupid idea that pirates would auction off clocks and livestock to each other. Disney should just rename the butchered ride "Morons of Imagineering." Now featuring kinder, gentler, more cooperative buccaneers!

BasiltheBatLord

So the idea was to put sets in the maintenance bay? Or would there be construction to build an alternate route? Interesting. Never heard of this before.

Phroobar

Original Poster
So the idea was to put sets in the maintenance bay? Or would there be construction to build an alternate route? Interesting. Never heard of this before.
The idea was to build a new maintenance bay extension to the building and use the existing area for new sets. What we did get out of the project was the pirate prisoner on Tom Sawyer's island that turns into a skeleton in the moonlight and the new Barbarossa at DLP.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom