Pirates of the Caribbean

pumpkin7

I can see why they added Jack Sparrow to the ride. Who doesn't love Jack Sparrow? Plus, it's like anything else, you go on a ride that has the same name of your favourite movie, and don't see your favourite character, then you're going to get bummed.
But what I don't understand is why they didn't just leave it at Jack Sparrow, and leave everything else well alone. The first PotC was brilliant, the sequels not so much, especially 4. Ugg. So why they had to add the mermaids... I bet most people don't get that addition at all.
Reinstate the talking skull and crossbones because he was awesome. Get rid of the dodgy projector effect, mermaid effect, and give original Blackbeard back his boat, and put the waterfalls back at the start of the ride. The muted music and the waterfalls in that area were fantastic and really created an atmosphere. Now, not so much.
Just stop adding movie elements into the ride! No more!
And tell the Brazillians that they can't take flash pictures.

Edit: And put the bird back outside! I'm sure he was either still or gone last visit. He needs to return!

Bairstow

I can see why they added Jack Sparrow to the ride. Who doesn't love Jack Sparrow? Plus, it's like anything else, you go on a ride that has the same name of your favourite movie, and don't see your favourite character, then you're going to get bummed.

On the other hand, it's a bummer to go on what used to be your favorite ride and find that characters from a movie you vaguely enjoyed have replaced/altered many of the better scenes.

What's worse is that Johnny Depp is exactly like Poochie; whenever he's not on stage all the other characters are asking, "where's Jack Sparrow?"

Poochie.gif

Victor Kelly

You know, I have been riding PoC since 1983. I don't remember it not backing up at the end. It always did, but I don't think the line was quite as long. Perhaps they are using more boats or they are unloading a lot slower then they used to unload.

Scraping the bottom? Are they sure its not just riding up on the drive belt that brings it up to dock level? I don't see how that can happen unless the water level is lower then it should be. Not to mention that engineering wise, the ride wouldn't work without the proper flow of water (current that drives the boats).

They would have maybe two or three, but never the backup they have now on POTC or IASW.

RSoxNo1

Well. A few things.

1) Cast have been told that they are not allowed to spiel about flash pictures anymore. A guest service manager made the call. Cast used to be able to give spiels over the queue and over the ride audio at the start of the ride about flash pictures and they have been told that disciplinary action will take place if they do so. It bothers Cast as much as it bothers you guys. But they have been threatened if they spiel at guest about it. The last thing the English safety spiels that plays before the safety gates opens says is, "And no flash pictures!" But the Spanish spiel that directly follows it makes no mention of taking flash pictures. You can thank Management for the flash pictures.

2). The rumor is that imagineering wants 12-18 months. The ride is in horrible shape. It breaks down more than any other attraction on property. It almost needs to be scraped and started over. The other rumor is that Phil said that they could have no more than six.

3). The new boats are boats that Disneyland rejected because they saw the problem they would cause. So they were sent to WDW. They are total pieces of sh**
Why would management not want casts to make a flash photography announcement? That doesn't make much sense.

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes
It's not that it can't be said, it's the manner and tone in which they say it. This is not purely a Disney issue. CMs want to police the issue to the point it in itself becomes an issue. It's an unfortunate situation because I don't think there is a simple answer. It has gotten worse at most parks because of the convenience of the camera built into every phone, where used to you had a separate camera to wag around and dig out of a bag or wherever quickly.

Bairstow

Why would management not want casts to make a flash photography announcement? That doesn't make much sense.

To avoid conflict.

Disney management must have reached a point at which they decided that the annoyance caused by guests taking flash pictures was outweighed by the customer satisfaction issues created by trying to stop them from doing so. Every time a cast member makes an announcement to stop the taking of flash pictures it breaks the immersion anyway, and actually confronting guests potential raises more problems because
1) Cast members might not treat a situation in which they are policing guest behavior with the appropriate amount of professionalism.
2) Guests sternly told to refrain from taking the pictures might take offense and either complain to higher management, or worse, spend less money.
or 3) Guests told to refrain from taking the pictures might react negatively, protest, and further impact the enjoyment of other guests around them.

Given all the possibilities, Disney has apparently taken the understandable position that it's better to just let the whole thing slide.

FigmentJedi

On the other hand, it's a bummer to go on what used to be your favorite ride and find that characters from a movie you vaguely enjoyed have replaced/altered many of the better scenes.

What's worse is that Johnny Depp is exactly like Poochie; whenever he's not on stage all the other characters are asking, "where's Jack Sparrow?"

Poochie.gif
Yeah, it's the execution of adding Sparrow that bugs me more then adding movie stuff. Restore the original well audio and rescript Barbossa and Pooped Pirate to establish things as more of a "Mad Mad Mad World"-style race for the treasure and making remarks that they don't want Sparrow or anyone else beating them there.

Kman101

Well. A few things.

1) Cast have been told that they are not allowed to spiel about flash pictures anymore. A guest service manager made the call. Cast used to be able to give spiels over the queue and over the ride audio at the start of the ride about flash pictures and they have been told that disciplinary action will take place if they do so. It bothers Cast as much as it bothers you guys. But they have been threatened if they spiel at guest about it. The last thing the English safety spiels that plays before the safety gates opens says is, "And no flash pictures!" But the Spanish spiel that directly follows it makes no mention of taking flash pictures. You can thank Management for the flash pictures.

2). The rumor is that imagineering wants 12-18 months. The ride is in horrible shape. It breaks down more than any other attraction on property. It almost needs to be scraped and started over. The other rumor is that Phil said that they could have no more than six.

3). The new boats are boats that Disneyland rejected because they saw the problem they would cause. So they were sent to WDW. They are total pieces of sh**

This makes me sad. Fire these management people who make these decisions. Phil Holmes needs to have a seat and be overriden on this.

Matt_Black

Poochie.gif

Not so. The "auction" scene is pretty much the same. No one cares about Jack when the redhead is out.

DisneyBergh

Closed for the duration of my visit today. I spoke to some people who said this is becoming a common occurrence with the ride. I feel it's entering a 2012 splash mountain level of neglect and condition. It needs a 3 month refurb and stat.

MDE is showing PoC down for refurb in mid December, perhaps sooner, though I can't find any other info about it.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It's not that it can't be said, it's the manner and tone in which they say it. This is not purely a Disney issue. CMs want to police the issue to the point it in itself becomes an issue. It's an unfortunate situation because I don't think there is a simple answer. It has gotten worse at most parks because of the convenience of the camera built into every phone, where used to you had a separate camera to wag around and dig out of a bag or wherever quickly.
Don't forget everything is digital now. A roll of film had 24 pictures. A digital card holds thousands. I remember my last trip to WDW with a "regular" camera back in 2000 (no kids yet). I thought we went crazy using 5 roles of film. My last trip (with kids) we may have taken close to 800 pictures. Out of those about 150 were good keepers. Back when you only got 24 pictures to a roll of film people didn't waste shots in the dark hoping they might turn out.

NaughtyQueen

I've seen people commenting in various places that their FP+ on 12/17 we switched to something else. That is the only day I have seen mentioned though.

pumpkin7

Poochie.gif

I completely agree. I would have preferred if they had left it well alone all together and just have a Jack Sparrow M&G outside or something.
IF they had to absolutely add him, it would have been nice to have just seen one new animatronic, so they could get some hype about Johnny Depp coming to see it like they wanted, and not intrude on all the other scenes. I agree 'where is Jack Sparrow'... 'tell us the location of Jack Sparrow' is really frustrating!.
I think they could have stuck with just the very final Jack. I quite like him there, but I don't much remember what was there before. I know they had some pirates with all the booty, I think. I just like how they've done that particular AA. The first one of him standing behind the barrels is a bit meh, becuase they had to give him a neckerchief... and the one of him appearing out of the barrel is a bit pointless. If your boat is moving too fast, you'll miss him.

As for everything else, mermaids, Blackbeard/ Davy Jones, Barbossa, they were just changes for changes sake. I preferred the entrance caverns as they were, and is that ship the Black Pearl? No, so give it back to original Blackbeard! And the mermaids, unless you know what you are looking for, they are easily missed.

pumpkin7

Don't forget everything is digital now. A roll of film had 24 pictures. A digital card holds thousands. I remember my last trip to WDW with a "regular" camera back in 2000 (no kids yet). I thought we went crazy using 5 roles of film. My last trip (with kids) we may have taken close to 800 pictures. Out of those about 150 were good keepers. Back when you only got 24 pictures to a roll of film people didn't waste shots in the dark hoping they might turn out.

(I took 4000 pictures last trip.... 4000. I.am.mental)

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes

Could not agree more! Even when you're not "trying" I can go through thousands of shots at Disney. Difference is I refuse to take photos that will interfere with other people's experiences (like dark rides)

MarkTwain

Closed for the duration of my visit today. I spoke to some people who said this is becoming a common occurrence with the ride. I feel it's entering a 2012 splash mountain level of neglect and condition. It needs a 3 month refurb and stat.

I would love it if someone with a knowledge of budgets could explain this. WDI is given what is presumably a decent-sized budget to upgrade the ride, and instead of using it to update the faulty ride mechanics or the tired-looking animatronics, they use it to create a projection effect of characters from a movie nobody really cared about, and in the end doesn't really work that well anyway. Who chooses to use their budgeting this way?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Could not agree more! Even when you're not "trying" I can go through thousands of shots at Disney. Difference is I refuse to take photos that will interfere with other people's experiences (like dark rides)
Yep. I agree 100%. It's definitely no excuse for ruining dark rides. With people taking so many more pictures in general I think it's why you see flashes on dark rides, during live shows and other inappropriate places more frequently than in the past. That and maybe a little less common courtesy in the world.

RSoxNo1

Capacity is reduced because of the boats. Stacking helps increase capacity but I don't think that's happening to the same extent it has been historically. The greater issue is that they can't load full boats.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom