Pirates of the Caribbean

Tony Perkis

Exactly, say what you want about that franchise and its hit and miss sequels.... Davy Jones was an awesome villain; I have no issue with him being in the ride. The fourth movie's Blackbeard however - not that great.
Hit and miss? All the sequels were substantial misses, critically.

Macca250

Hit and miss? All the sequels were substantial misses, critically.
I know, but as much as I'd like to; I can't deny they didn't have their moments. The music, action scenes; heck Davy Jones for one - they were messy and poorly planned for sure, but I still find them strangely watchable. Well, except the fourth one of course.

Tony Perkis

I know, but as much as I'd like to; I can't deny they didn't have their moments. The music, action scenes; heck Davy Jones for one - they were messy and poorly planned for sure, but I still find them strangely watchable. Well, except the fourth one of course.
Credit to you for finding enough in them to enjoy, but I couldn't get into them at all. The first is a legitimately great action adventure romp with a good amount of humor. Everything charming and creative about the first was abandoned in favor of glutton and excess.

JMagicFink

I don't usually complain when one or two effects aren't working, but when the ride is down every time I'm in Magic Kingdom on my vacation I get very bummed. We stopped in Magic Kingdom from 11am-3pm on October 27th, before heading to Hollywood Studios, and the ride was down the entire time. Then we went back for the Halloween Party on the 28th and found it down when we arrived at that side of the park. Huge bummer! I know rides go down all the time. Believe me, we have had our share of being on rides when they break down, like Buzz, Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion, People Mover, etc. However, my wife and I were very upset that we didn't get to ride one of our favorite major attractions during our anniversary trip! Anybody know why the ride is down more than it is up lately?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Because people are not curious towards others. Also because they have no idea how to spot meter off their camera.

I do love the soccer moms with DSLR's using the pop-up flash - even the cheap ones go up to ISO 12,800 more than adequate for a good available light photo which will capture the lighting effects as the designer intended.

docandsix

I've often wondered: Is there technology available to ruin flash photos on dark rides? I'm thinking perhaps of a multi-faceted mirror situated inconspicuously near scenes that draw a lot of attention from the amateur photographers, such that every flash would reflected back on the lens. Obviously, this would not prevent attempts at flash photography, but signs could be posted in the queue announcing that the attraction employs technology intended to disrupt flash photography, thus perhaps discouraging at least some of this disruptive and disrespectful behavior. (The signs could even show examples: If you intend to shoot this scene, this is what your photo will look like if you employ a flash, whereas this is what your photo will look like with proper ISO settings, etc.)

On the other hand, as the original post suggested, TDO isn't even interested in the maintaining that actual technology and hardware of the attraction itself, so why in the world would they bother trying to install a solution to address the flash photography mob?

RSoxNo1

I keep wishing they would put Barbosa on the screen mist, with his quote/speech from the fourth movie:

Aye. Mermaids. Sea ghouls, devilfish…dreadful in hunger for flesh of man. Mermaid waters, that be our path. Cling to your soul as mermaids be given to take the rest, to the bone. Gentlemen. I should not ask any more of a man than what that man can deliver, but I do ask this: are we not King’s men? On the King’s mission? I did not note any fear in the eyes of the Spanish as they passed us by. ARE WE NOT KING’S MEN? Hands aloft, and bear away! Stave on ahead to Whitecap Bay!
I'd prefer this scene... let's alternate:

elchippo

I'd like to see both projections in the ride....why not add a second one right before the drop, where the talking skull used to be? (I miss him). That would be cool to go through it into the drop.

rd805

So after riding it today I couldn't help but notice that the hologram of Blackbeard wasn't on and the projections of the mermaids in the water weren't working as well. Do you all sense that disney may be getting rid of that part?

Yup --- same thing on my trip 10/23 - 10/28.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I do love the soccer moms with DSLR's using the pop-up flash - even the cheap ones go up to ISO 12,800 more than adequate for a good available light photo which will capture the lighting effects as the designer intended.
I prefer sitting in the front row with my DSLR ready with the flash on. Its not to take photos, but if someone uses a flash I will turn around and remind them, No Flash! They only get one warning because the next time they use it I turn around blind them with a flash from my camera. Oddly enough, Ive never had anyone get upset or curse at me, and I get an occasional "thank you" from other riders.

danv3

Last time I rode PotC in October we got absolutely soaked. Not so much fun.

And of course this was after it had been out of service most of the days of our trip.

Tinkerbell 8

I rode POTC 11/7 and the mist/projector was not working and neither was the mermaids. Also I got completely drenched in the first scene where the ship is firing canons, I was more wet after Pirates than I was after Splash, not sure what changed but I hope this aspect gets fixed.

Yeah, what is up with that. In the last 2 years sitting in the front row we have gotten soaked either from the drop or from the shooting cannons that make a much bigger splash. I love sitting in the front row but hate getting wet especially since we go in the winter. Also the sides and back of the seats are always wet now so we have to sit scrunched together and far forward in the seat. Why the change? Will add even the second row was getting wet.

Bairstow

Yeah, what is up with that. In the last 2 years sitting in the front row we have gotten soaked either from the drop or from the shooting cannons that make a much bigger splash. I love sitting in the front row but hate getting wet especially since we go in the winter. Also the sides and back of the seats are always wet now so we have to sit scrunched together and far forward in the seat. Why the change? Will add even the second row was getting wet.

The old fiberglass boats have been replaced with defective plastic boats.

Old:

mk_pir2.jpg

ALe1104-02.jpg

ALe1104-03.jpg

New:

jt7Wt13s1PoIM.JPG

jbgSp3iUcUQzMf.JPG

ABQ

While I'm thinking about it, when was the last time anyone has gotten to the final Johnny Depp figure and there not been a 7-8 boat backup at unload?
Not ever since the Johnny Depp addition, not that I blame him for the backup. It's not unlike the pile up at Small World. Usually we seem to ram the stern of the boat ahead of us just prior to reaching the dog with the key.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom