Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales

Jahona

Original Poster
What a treat DMTNT was. Captain Jack was at his funniest here. Just an all around entertaining film and most definitely the best out of all the POTC films (yes, even better than the first). My only question is, if the curse was lifted, was it really necessary for Salazar's demise? Would he have still wanted to kill Captain Jack?

Yes. Salazar wanted all pirates to be dead. Just because he is human again doesn't mean his vendetta against pirates would go away.

Captain Barbossa

You may want to utilize the "spoiler" sign in the future.
Nah I'm good. Don't have to. People should expect to see spoilers on this thread without "Caution! Spoilers Ahead!". It happens. If you or anyone else wouldn't like to see spoilers, it's simple, don't look on this thread :)

P.S.
Love how you singled me out. There have been other people, who've seen the movie, who have mentioned information that could be considered as spoilers without a "Spoiler Alert". Why don't you call them out? No matter how you slice it, big or small, a spoiler is a spoiler ;)

fractal

Nah I'm good. Don't have to. People should expect to see spoilers on this thread without "Caution! Spoilers Ahead!". It happens. If you or anyone else wouldn't like to see spoilers, it's simple, don't look on this thread :)

P.S.
Love how you singled me out. There have been other people, who've seen the movie, who have mentioned information that could be considered as spoilers without a "Spoiler Alert". Why don't you call them out? No matter how you slice it, big or small, a spoiler is a spoiler ;)

Well thanks for ruining the movie for me. I was going to see it in the theater, now will wait for HBO.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Won the weekend box office. What people have to realize is that most movies that open on Memorial Day weekend don't typically make a whole lot at first. People are on vacation and traveling about, so the theaters might be a little bare.

It's all downhill from here...

You can boast about being the least loser... but next weekend the reality will kick in.

Yup... time to say NAILED IT

Last weekend...
22,087,099 -64.9%

beaten by captain underpants no less. The narrative of 'well its holiday...' are officially debunked and its time to stop sniffing the dust.

They'll be lucky to make 10mil next weekend

SeanWM48

Yup... time to say NAILED IT

Last weekend...
22,087,099 -64.9%

beaten by captain underpants no less. The narrative of 'well its holiday...' are officially debunked and its time to stop sniffing the dust.

They'll be lucky to make 10mil next weekend
are you just skipping worldwide gross? they're over 500 mil and counting now. i do not understand your victory here. granted, the 'barbossa' poster above can be irritating with his responses sometimes so i do get debating him. but i don't know how wrong he is here.

yes, domestic only counts for ~23% of the total gross of the film so far but how is that such a bad thing? the latest fast and furious had similar business % with overseas domination and it was considered a huge success (domestic was less than 20% of total gross).

YTD this film is about to cross into the top 5 in worldwide gross. i could see it passing Logan and Kong: Skull. that would rank it #4 on the year. i don't see this as a failure.

flynnibus

Premium Member
are you just skipping worldwide gross?

I'm not skipping it - worldwide wasn't the discussion. The discussion was about the movie's performance here in the domestic market and a false narrative that it would get an upswing once the holiday drag was past.

YTD this film is about to cross into the top 5 in worldwide gross. i could see it passing Logan and Kong: Skull. that would rank it #4 on the year. i don't see this as a failure.

The problem with most of the WW discussion is people are evaluating with concepts/expectations that are dated and based on notions of domestic performance. Ex: The 'magic 100 million mark', etc. These things don't apply the same when looking at WW performance expectations. And the WW market is radically different now vs what it was even 5+ years ago... with simultaneous releases, much wider distribution, the opening of China, etc.

It's like the difference generated by ticket prices. Straight revenue comparisons from today to 20years ago don't work.. the performance metrics for WW are still very evolving because the market still is.

Captain Barbossa

are you just skipping worldwide gross? they're over 500 mil and counting now. i do not understand your victory here. granted, the 'barbossa' poster above can be irritating with his responses sometimes so i do get debating him. but i don't know how wrong he is here.

yes, domestic only counts for ~23% of the total gross of the film so far but how is that such a bad thing? the latest fast and furious had similar business % with overseas domination and it was considered a huge success (domestic was less than 20% of total gross).

For some reason he thinks that making over $500M in 12 days worldwide isn't a big deal.

SeanWM48

Good job moving the goal posts and ignoring the points raised.
did you not do similar above? i still must be missing something here. i again point to the F&F franchise which embraces the idea that overseas business is their meal ticket. FF8 only did ~220m domestic yet was the second highest grossing film of the year (barely edged out by Beauty/Beast)

i think disney is doing the same thing with pirates. where was the initial premiere? it was not here; it was in shanghai. keep in mind Shanghai has that new big pirates area in the new park, which no doubt will get a shot in the arm from this film.

instead of succumbing to the issue of waning domestic interest i think it's good business to embrace the overseas aspect and go forward with it. if pirates cracking $600m worldwide - not far fetched at this point - why not make more? soft spoiler here but they left the door open after the credits for a reason

flynnibus

Premium Member
did you not do similar above? i still must be missing something here

Correct, you are. Barbossa tried to explain away the soft domestic number as due to the Memorial Day opening and that it would rebound. I disagreed, made a prediction, and showed after the fact with data who was correct. The topic was not the international number, so saying whatever the international number is... high or low.. is irrelevant to the conversation.

instead of succumbing to the issue of waning domestic interest i think it's good business to embrace the overseas aspect and go forward with it. if pirates cracking $600m worldwide - not far fetched at this point - why not make more? soft spoiler here but they left the door open after the credits for a reason

I don't disagree - but we also can't use prior expectations of what we know about expenses and revenues for domestic releases when qualifying 'success' with these new International releases. The market is changing rapidly.

SeanWM48

Correct, you are. Barbossa tried to explain away the soft domestic number as due to the Memorial Day opening and that it would rebound. I disagreed, made a prediction, and showed after the fact with data who was correct. The topic was not the international number, so saying whatever the international number is... high or low.. is irrelevant to the conversation.

I don't disagree - but we also can't use prior expectations of what we know about expenses and revenues for domestic releases when qualifying 'success' with these new International releases. The market is changing rapidly.
fair points. whether or not they shoot for POTC 6 is one of the more interesting movie decisions Disney faces in next couple years

Captain Barbossa

Just saw it for the 3rd time today. Good crowd for a Wednesday afternoon. The majority of the audience were college age. They were laughing and understood all the jokes (especially the dirty ones). Some got emotional too.

SJN1279

Pirates is overcoming unfairly harsh reviews, and performing well. When a 5th Pirates was announced, I was hoping it would make 150 domestic, and between 750 and 800 worldwide, and it is on target for both. With a 230 million budget, and pretty strong merchandise sales, it should be a nice profit for Disney.

Pirates is no longer Star Wars or Marvel for Disney, but it is a solid performer for the company, and virtually critic proof.

Also, I remember all the doom and gloom about Shanghai Disney on this page, but it Shanghai is keeping the #2 movie market strong for Disney. Remember when China refused to show Ghostbusters because of supernatural elements? I guess undead Ghosts Pirates need not apply to that code.

BrianLo

Pirates 4 was the first movie in the series not to make $300 million domestically. This may not even hit $200 million.

No matter what it does overseas, Disney has to be disappointed to some extent with how it's playing stateside.

I honestly was very concerned this movie was going to pull an Alice through the looking glass... Unbelievable that the movie domestically only pulled off 23% of the predecessor.

This was a looming, over budget, dustier franchise potential disaster.

Whatever Disney thinks internally, I think they should breath a sigh of relief with the global run and put the franchise to bed. If they want to come back with a final 6th instalment they need to do it with the budget and P&A halved.

Interestingly Disney for the first time has made it through Memorial day weekend without a big flop yet. The other major studios all have at least one of their hands (whether it be Warner Brothers with King Arthur, Universal with The Mummy now, Fox with Alien Covenant or Paramount with Bay Watch)

Animaniac93-98

I honestly was very concerned this movie was going to pull an Alice through the looking glass... Unbelievable that the movie domestically only pulled off 23% of the predecessor.

This was a looming, over budget, dustier franchise potential disaster.

Whatever Disney thinks internally, I think they should breath a sigh of relief with the global run and put the franchise to bed. If they want to come back with a final 6th instalment they need to do it with the budget and P&A halved.

Interestingly Disney for the first time has made it through Memorial day weekend without a big flop yet. The other major studios all have at least one of their hands (whether it be Warner Brothers with King Arthur, Universal with The Mummy now, Fox with Alien Covenant or Paramount with Bay Watch)

I thought so too, but apparently Mummy will open to $169 million worldwide thanks to China and other markets:

http://deadline.com/2017/06/the-mum...-box-office-results-international-1202109606/

Pretty amazing how much box office economies have chaged over the last 5 years. Furious 8 made 82% of its gross overseas!

BrianLo

I thought so too, but apparently Mummy will open to $169 million worldwide thanks to China and other markets:

http://deadline.com/2017/06/the-mum...-box-office-results-international-1202109606/

Pretty amazing how much box office economies have chaged over the last 5 years. Furious 8 made 82% of its gross overseas!

True, hard to say as it is a much softer number than both Pirates domestically and globally (but on a much cheaper budget). But looks like it shouldn't lose the company money now.

Albeit one is the swan song and the other was supposed to launch a cinematic universe.

I forgot the Great Wall came out this year... we can add that one in for Universal in lieu.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom