Pirates of the Caribbean Auctioneer/Redhead Changes NO POLITICS or SOCIAL ISSUES, PLEASE!

Todd H

As much as they've bastardized this ride over the years, it pains me to say this (as this was always one of my favorite rides) but they should just go ahead and replace it with the Shanghai version and call it a day. I've loved the original since I first rode it in the 70s. What's there now just isn't the same ride any longer. And we all know Disney will just keep bastardizing it even more as the years go on. :(

pumpkin7

I've just watched the full video. Paris is my more familiar park at the moment and I can really tell a difference. The lighting looks excellent! Everything looks vibrant. I'm so glad to see the return of the swinging pirate as I'm sure he's been MIA for a while. The donkey has also been put back in. I presume they just remove things when they break, but he was definitely missing last time I rode in June 2016.
And the auction scene isn't half bad! Would be nice to know what they're saying. I guess we're going to lose the 'show us your larboard side' as well. I notice they haven't shoe horned a Jack Sparrow into the well dunking scene either. I think they've added just the right number of Jacks.
I do agree that due to the grotto and it's placement, Jack and Barbossa being in there is a little odd. I bet the dead sea captain is wondering what the heck is going on! But I also thought that there was some UV paint and a blacklight used with Barbossa. It like fades away as the boat goes passed. We will soon find out when it's in need of a touch up in a few months.

Last edited:

Beacon Joe

2cy4ra.jpg

thomas998

As much as they've bastardized this ride over the years, it pains me to say this (as this was always one of my favorite rides) but they should just go ahead and replace it with the Shanghai version and call it a day. I've loved the original since I first rode it in the 70s. What's there now just isn't the same ride any longer. And we all know Disney will just keep bastardizing it even more as the years go on. :(
Kind of agree... but no matter what they do someone will be offended and then they'll make changes to cure the offended only to offend another group and on and on.... In the end they should never have changed it to begin with as doing so is really sanitizing history and what pirates were really like... At the rate they are going it is only time before the pirates all have their swords replaced with nerf swords and they start blowing bubbles at each other.

Last edited:

erasure fan1

I kind of agree with the just change it sentiment. I would rather they just strip it down and create a new pirate ride altogether. Just stop with the hodge podge method they are doing now and create something awesome from start to finish.

mitchk

I'd also like to know, fingers crossed it's not for January (if it is, oh well)

They are saying early 2018... so I'm guessing anywhere between Mid January to early March ... with the minor changes being made I can't see it being down for over a month .... but?.......

Amidala

Kind of agree... but no matter what they do someone will be offended and then they'll make changes to cure the offended only to offend another group and on and on.... In the end they should never have changed it to begin with as doing so is really sanitizing history and what pirates were really like... At the rate they are going it is only time before the pirates all have their swords replaced with nerf swords and they start blowing bubbles at each other.

I mean, I think it's important to point out that women are guests at WDW too, and it's hard to feel like part of the magic when the boys get to be pirates and the girls get to be...sold? It might be a different if Ana Maria or Elizabeth had been added to the ride and shown fighting alongside the other pirates, but as it stands...what you see is what you get.

Besides, the concept of the pirates ride is in itself a sanitization of history...you exit into a gift shop where you're expected to buy pirate-related merchandise and get a pirate makeover–enough said. I also don't see how "[x] was in the original version of the ride" is a viable justification for leaving things unchanged...logically, it's going to happen on a case-by-case basis. The motivation behind this change wasn't to censor violence (if that was the idea, like you said, all of the actual violence would be removed), it was to make sure that guests don't feel alienated from the experience.

That being said, I'd be 100% fine with the current ride being torn out and replaced with the Shanghai version. I've worked merch at the pirates store and a day never went by without the ride shutting down for maintenance. It's a good concept, but the original in Disneyland seems to be the undisputed "winner" between the two, and between this, the tiki room and Jungle Cruise, Adventureland could use some tech upgrading.

becca_

They are saying early 2018... so I'm guessing anywhere between Mid January to early March ... with the minor changes being made I can't see it being down for over a month .... but?.......
I think they'd want this done before spring break crowds too so maybe Jan/Feb if they're talking early 18

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom