Pinocchio's Prized Journey

champdisney

Original Poster
Pinocchio's Prized Journey

Continuing on from the many blue sky ideas tossed around in the Reimagined Fantasyland Dark Rides thread. I was kindly asked by @Brer Oswald and pals to go in depth with one particular idea that I shared that happens to center around the story of a wooden puppet destined to become a real boy, Pinocchio. Since this concept comes directly from the Reimagined Fantasyland Dark Rides thread, it should come to no surprise as to what kind of attraction this is and where it will be located. Now in order to make way for Pinocchio, we'll have to bid farewell to a classic that is It's a Small World. However, the one element that Small World possesses which will be passed down to Pinocchio will be the boats. Indeed, guests will be able to climb aboard an Italian style gondola as they make their way into the magical moments of the 1940s animated classic.

The queue/boarding dock (formerly Small World's clock tower) will showcase Geppetto's quiet Mediterranean neighborhood along with some familiar sounding tunes from the film. Okay, now that all of the basics are out of the way, let's begin with the in-ride details of Pinocchio's Prized Journey. Oh yeah, unlike the gondola's you'd find in Italy, these gondola's come equipped with harnesses (similar to Ripsaw Falls at Islands of Adventure) because in this ride... Things get CRAZY!

Once guests are strapped in, they will meet the ever delightful Jiminy Cricket as he introduces himself and the journey that is about to be embarked upon. The following are show scenes featured in Pinocchio's Prized Journey:

Scene One: Geppetto's Workshop

It is the beginning of this epic tale, one man at work in his elaborate workshop. Riders are immersed inside the residence of Geppetto which as we know is filled with his most prized creations. However, on this very day (every day at the Magic Kingdom) Geppetto is at work on something real special. Eventually, the gondola stops in front of a seated audio-animatronic version of Geppetto, who is accompanied by Figaro and Cleo, who is at work with a blanked face puppet. - All audio-animatronics involved in this attraction will be along the lines of the new generation AA’s that are seen in Seven Dwarfs Mine Train and Frozen Ever After. In this moment, Geppetto addresses his sudden guests. “Oh! Why hello there, I’m sorry but I didn’t realize that I had company… However, I must say, my workshop is closed… Actually, it’s been closed. Say, do you happen to know what time it is? Regardless, it’s time for bed!” Geppetto proceeds to yawn as he focus’ his attention back on the puppet he was working on. “But there’s something I must finish first…” Geppetto proceeds to place the finishing touches on his newest project as he paints a face onto the blank piece of wood. Of course, this is possible due to the AA’s having video projected faces. Geppetto then says, “My friends, it is with great pleasure that I introduce to you, Pinocchio. My little wooden boy. Isn’t he a cute little fella? Now then, I must retire for the night as I am in much need of rest. Thank you for visiting and if you’re still interested in any of my handmade trinkets, please come by tomorrow during operating hours. Night now!

Scene Two: In Stars View

Respecting the wishes of Geppetto, our boat slowly moves away into a darkened room illuminated by stars. Once again, we encounter Geppetto, this time in his pajamas and kneeling before his window. As Geppetto recites the wish that made him famous, all stars begin to dim in a slow manner as one specific star proceeds to outshine the rest, this star is the Wishing Star. Our boat continues to move forward as Geppetto suddenly disappears in darkness. All is left for the moment is the bright burning glare of the Wishing Star. That is until a beam of light detaches and makes its way down from the Wishing Star and gracefully lands in front of the lifeless Pinocchio. Guests witness the arrival of the Blue Fairy as she grants Geppetto’s wish: “Little puppet made of pine, awake. The gift of life is thine.“ In a matter of seconds, Pinocchio awakens and his, no, OUR journey finally begins...

Scene Three: Tunnel of Acquaintances

Our gondola continues moving forward and takes a slight turn into a colorful ellipse shaped tunnel (think of that trippy tunnel scene from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory combined with Space Mountain’s tunnel launch) which displays a video montage of scenes from Pinocchio. We see Geppetto and Pinocchio’s celebration of life which transitions to Pinocchio’s preparations of his first day of school, which takes us to his first meeting with Jiminy Cricket. As Jiminy explains to Pinocchio that he is indeed his conscious, the gondola begins to pick up speed. Pinocchio then encounters Honest John and Gideon as they promise Pinocchio superstardom. The unlikely squad break out into song as they sing “Hi-Diddle-Dee-Dee” while the gondola rushes up a high elevated ramp that leads into the next scene.

Scene Four: The ‘No Strings’ Concert

As the gondola zooms up the ramp, the tune of “Hi-Diddle-Dee-Dee” slowly begins to fade as another familiar song consumes our hearing. That song is “I’ve Got No Strings” and as it plays, our gondola approaches a theatrical curtain which opens once we are directly in front of it. Once we’ve reached up the ramp and through the curtain, we catch up with Pinocchio performing “I’ve Got No Strings” with two lovely female puppets by Pinocchio’s side. (Think of the opening scene of Pinocchio’s Daring Journey at Disneyland yet more elaborate especially with the upgraded AA’s) We soak in the wonderful melody as we continue on our voyage into the next scene.

Scene Five: Stromboli’s Stronghold

This is a rather quick scene as guests now approach the part of this tale where a frightened Pinocchio is encased inside a birdcage by the greedy Stromboli. We see Pinocchio struggling to get free as Stromboli stands a few feet away yelling maniacally in his native tongue of Italiano. Our gondola picks up speed into…

Scene Six: Pleasure Island

Finally, we’re here. Forget about the failed P.I. at Downtown Disney-Springs (though I wish it was still around so I could’ve at least experienced it once) and embark on the original. That’s right, we’re at the island where bad boys go to become mules or donkeys or jackasses, whichever is your preference but at this time… we’re in Pleasure Island! The layout here will follow Disneyland’s (with the same lighting effects) as we will be surrounded by colorful amusement park attractions and carny games. Guests will be able to smell popcorn and cotton candy and hear the screams of excitement, all while Honest John and Gideon overlook the park. However, things aren’t as good as they seem as our gondola takes a dark, bumpy turn.

Scene Seven: Faces of Fear

Our gondola begins to rattle uncontrollably enduring a rocky current. Suddenly, we enter a foggy environment, the joyous screams quickly transforms into screams of agony and then the sound of crying mules echoes throughout. The gondola picks up speed big time as the screams continue, sharp turns and minor drops occur in this scene and images of boys becoming mules are posted everywhere. (Think of Rock N’ Rollercoaster/Revenge of the Mummy where flashes of images are seen as you haul by) This has to be the scariest most intense scene of all but it doesn’t end there, no. As the gondola swooshes through, we once again encounter Geppetto, Figaro and Cleo on a raft in search for Pinocchio. Right when we cross paths with Geppetto and his pets, our gondola drops (vertical drop similar to Splash Mountain) right into the monstrous mouth of Monstro. Water blasts over the guests as our journey wraps up.

Scene Eight: Forever Alive

After being swallowed by the deep sea villain, we end up back in Geppetto’s workshop. Geppetto stand’s over Pinocchio, who is sitting upright on Geppetto’s bed. This scene is identical to Disneyland’s ending of Pinocchio’s Daring Adventure, where the Blue Fairy magically appears to grant Geppetto’s last wish of turning Pinocchio into a real boy. Our journey comes to an end with a delicate instrumental version of “When You Wish Upon A Star”. Our Italian style gondola touches base back at the loading dock, where guests carry on their magical day at the Magic Kingdom.

The End

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom