Photoshop Scrapbooking

Unomas

Original Poster
How do you guys print when making your scrapbooks through Photoshop? Do you just print them yourselves onto paper or do you have them professionally printed and bound?

Fran98765

Everyone does it differently, some do bound books, others print pages at home, others send out single pages to be printed elsewhere. Personally I get bound photobooks from either Shutterfly or Arts Cow. I have several books now and they all look wonderful.

HollyBelle

Another vote for Shutterfly books :sohappy:. I use them as well and they have all turned out fabulous. Plus, in my opinion the pricing isn't too bad. I do the 8 1/2x11 books and they're priced at $30 for the first 20 pages (including the hardcover binding) and then an additional $1 per page. And you can get some good deals like free shipping, special pricing, etc. through email codes. Also, they're really easy to use and ship extremely fast.

Fran, I've never heard of Arts Cow... how do they compare to Shutterfly?

Fran98765

They just got new printers and I have received 6 books from them since they got new printers and the print quality is fabulous. The previous printers were not as good, so if you hear negative feedback on them, it is probably from then, I had a book from the old printers and was not pleased with the colors. They are based out of Hong Kong but ship pretty fast considering the long travel time. The prices are a lot cheaper than Shutterfly, and if you sign up for their newsletter you can get some amazing prices, the 6 books I just got were free, I just had to pay shipping, so I got 6 books for 8.97 each, which was the shipping charge. I have found that on items that you pay for from them, they frequently have free shipping too, so very economical.

HollyBelle

Holy cow!! Maybe that's what they should name their website. $8.95 a book AND good quality. I'm fairly committed to Shutterfly, being a creature of habit and all, but I might just have to try this one out. Especially since it sounds like they're comparable quality wise. Thanks for the info!

HollyBelle

Jenn, shutterfly does 12x12 books and they're currently buy one, get one at 30% off if you're in need of two copies. Right now they're also having a free shipping sale. I highly recommend them.

And when I checked out Arts Cow (the site Fran mentioned) it showed that they do 12x12s. I'd say the deals there look too good to be true if Fran hadn't already vouched for them. Unfortunately though for me, it doesn't look like they'll print 8.5x11's.

mouselvrmom

Thanks for the info, Holly. Right now I print out my pages and put them in a traditional scrapbook. But if I have a book of all digital I guess it would make sense to just have a book made.

eagles

ok i see where you can get your digi pages made into "books" but what and where do you go for just getting the 12x12 pages printed? not books.

WDWFigment

Holly,

Do you have a template (with gutters, etc.) that you use for Shutterfly to make sure you don't place important aspects of the layout too close to the edges? Some sites have ones you can download, but I can't find one on Shutterfly. I'm probably just not looking in the right place...

HollyBelle

Yeah... shutterfly totally hides the specs/templates. I spent way too long searching for them the first time I printed a book. I don't know if it's because they're trying to push their "pre-made" books or what. Here's a link to the page with all the info you need:

http://www.shutterfly.com/photo-books/print-your-digital-scrapbook/digital-scrapbook-8x11-photo-book

In the future if you're trying to find it, you have to go to "shop by occassion," click on "see all occassions," and then choose "digital scrapbooking."

Honestly though, I don't use the template for the pages; however, I have used it for the hard photobook cover and it worked wonderfully. With the pages, I like to design in 8.5x11 specifically, just so my eyes aren't seeing that little area that accounts for bleed (even though there are gridlines marking the true edge, it still throws me off a bit). Plus, when I'm working on the pages, unless it's a double page spread, I usually don't know whether it's going to end up on the left or right side until I put the book together. So, when it's time to print I open up all my pages, adjust for the gutter and then change the canvas size to 8.593X11.122. I save this copy as a jpeg, but keep my original copy in .psd. This might take a bit longer, but at least it looks exactly how I want it to in the end.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom