PHOTOS - Disney reveals new lobby design and Trader Sam's lounge for the Polynesian

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
It looks like something from a mall trying to be themed... that said while open space is great, the Grand Ceremonial House does not feel grand. Mabye having the tiki will help establish a center piece,but compared to the other MK deluxe resorts :Wilderness, Contemporary, and Grand, this lobby has moved out of competition, it is the kind of lobby I would expect a moderate to have, for a hundred dollars cheaper I don't mind a less grand lobby, but when you pay top dollar the wow factor should start in the lobby. Imagine pulling in to the stunning façade and outdoor lush forest that the Polynesian has and then walking into... an open space bland mini mall feel... just my thoughts and normally I spread my share of pixie dust, but this disappointed me.

Erm no, Much of the greenery has been hacked out of the front as well so we can see two cement drainage basins now. This was WORSE than I could have imagined.

Clamman73

I dont think there is even any more 'ceremonial' aspect left, unless those floating glass balls are an homage to the Pier 1 Imports clearance section.

giphy.gif

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
It looks like something from a mall trying to be themed... that said while open space is great, the Grand Ceremonial House does not feel grand. Mabye having the tiki will help establish a center piece,but compared to the other MK deluxe resorts :Wilderness, Contemporary, and Grand, this lobby has moved out of competition, it is the kind of lobby I would expect a moderate to have, for a hundred dollars cheaper I don't mind a less grand lobby, but when you pay top dollar the wow factor should start in the lobby. Imagine pulling in to the stunning façade and outdoor lush forest that the Polynesian has and then walking into... an open space bland mini mall feel... just my thoughts and normally I spread my share of pixie dust, but this disappointed me.
Imagine someone who stayed at the Polynesian in 1983 and whose parents paid a reasonable price of $90 per night to stay at what they remember as a glorious resort with Macaws and amazon parrots perched atop a grand water feature in the lobby with flowing falls and vegetation all around with knowledgeable and friendly Cast Members to help make your vacation magical!

So that person decides to finally go back to WDW and experience it all once again with their children. They are probly imagining it being even better because hey, its 2014 and ITS DISNEY, it could have only gotten better with time!!! $600 a night later...

Clamman73

You mean IF the Tiki is installed..., From close inspection (easy to do rubble pile is only 5'6" tall) and I'm 6'3" and have a 'selfie pole for iPhone' there appears to be no mount point for the tiki at the top. I think the thing is done and it's BUGLY and water only flows on the side facing the street.

There's a pic on page 51 that shows it without the added rocks; you can see a flat base area on the top where they would place the tiki dude. Also, they had the little mock-up. I believe they would just remove some of the top rock and install it some point in the future...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
There's a pic on page 51 that shows it without the added rocks; you can see a flat base area on the top where they would place the tiki dude. Also, they had the little mock-up. I believe they would just remove some of the top rock and install it some point in the future...

Good point and quite possible but why not install the Tiki now, But these days with the sheep flocking to WDW to be fleeced I can also see TDO not installing it since the guests will supposedly be happy without it.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Imagine someone who stayed at the Polynesian in 1983 and whose parents paid a reasonable price of $90 per night to stay at what they remember as a glorious resort with Macaws and amazon parrots perched atop a grand water feature in the lobby with flowing falls and vegetation all around with knowledgeable and friendly Cast Members to help make your vacation magical!

So that person decides to finally go back to WDW and experience it all once again with their children. They are probly imagining it being even better because hey, its 2014 and ITS DISNEY, it could have only gotten better with time!!! $600 a night later...

Being underwhelmed with Disney's current product perhaps.

In a nutshell your post describes exactly what has been lost at the Poly over the years.

KeithVH

This reno is the first step of the Elsafication of the Poly. I mean, everything else is Frozenized in the World.

What? You mean you can't see what is right in front of your face?

The glass floats, people. Everyone knows they were invented in Norway (seriously, look it up). This way, they can have Elsa in a mumu, standing under them and not look out of place . . .

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
This reno is the first step of the Elsafication of the Poly. I mean, everything else is Frozenized there.

What? You mean you can't see what is right in front of your face?

The glass floats, people. Everyone knows they were invented in Norway (seriously, look it up). This way, they can have Elsa in a mumu, standing under them and not look out of place . . .

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Norway is believed to have been the first country to start production and use of glass fishing floats. Christopher Faye, a Norwegian merchant from Bergen, is credited for their invention in the early 1840s.

hpyhnt 1000

I like the brighter color scheme and new furniture, and don't mind the orb things, but that fountain is just too small. The planters could have been made bigger as well.

A missed opportunity overall.

Vegas Disney Fan

compared to the other MK deluxe resorts :Wilderness, Contemporary, and Grand, this lobby has moved out of competition,

After seeing several videos and dozens of photos of the new lobby I'm starting to think they were trying to mimic the feel of those other lobbies. The one thing the Wilderness lodge, Contemporary, and Grand Floridian (not to mention the Animal Kingdom Lodge and to a lessor extent the Yacht and Beach club) have in common is a huge open entrance where the architecture and size of the space was the focus. When I walked into the old Poly lobby all I noticed was the fountain, it was an amazing fountain but completely obstructed the rest of the space and made the "great" ceremonial house feel tiny and cramped. I think the new Poly lobby has a much more similar feel to the other deluxe resorts than it used to and has a much more grandiose feeling than the old lobby.

It's more plain but feels grander if that makes sense.

aladdin2007

It really grinds people's gears to hear other people having nice things to say about this new lobby.

because its odd that new posters come out of the woodwork and post for the first time on something that has been shown or announced with no clue as to what was or should be. Same thing happened in the maelstrom/frozen thread.

Little Green Men

because its odd that new posters come out of the woodwork and post for the first time on something that has been shown or announced with no clue as to what was or should be. Same thing happened in the maelstrom/frozen thread.
While that's understandable this poster isn't exactly new, they've been here over a year. And they say they used to work at the Poly so they do know what was there before.

Figment2005

Okay, I will say it as well, I do like the new lobby. I did not have a love for the old lobby, and I am a person that does not focus on one aspect but sees the entire picture. The lobby is complete, but the resort is not. The overall feel of the resort will be better.

aladdin2007

I had seen only 1 message listed in their avatar box so it looked like a new poster. oh well

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom