PHOTOS - Disney reveals new lobby design and Trader Sam's lounge for the Polynesian

Bocabear

Yay thanks for the photo update!! I was in the area last weekend but got caught in a 40 minute traffic jam around Downtown Disney and just gave up and exited the property... So I did not get a chance to see.

Bocabear

Not sure why you would describe it as a walk up bar. There is a bar inside to sit at and tables. Also there is an outside patio with seating and tables. Kids can go inside up to a certain time but can't sit at the bar at any time.

The one at the Polynesian will have a much different theme and layout. Inside it will be about the same square footage but with better flow and the outside patio will be larger with its own service bar. I posted some of the construction plans on my Facebook page.
So the new Trader Sam's will be about the same size as the Disneyland version? Seems like that would be huge mistake given the popularity of Disneyland... Down here in Ft Lauderdale we have The Mai Kai...one of the last and best examples of 1950s tiki kitsch... It has packed houses and bar every evening still... People still love this stuff... they really need to address the crowd issues....and no one wants to sit outside on a patio with no theming...
Do you know if the patio will also be decorated and designed to match the mood? The California version patio is sterile in comparison to the wonderful interior..
www.maikai.com
Look at the pictures on their webpage and remember this opened 7 years before Walt Disney opened The Enchanted Tiki Room...

Last edited:

tikiman

So the new Trader Sam's will be about the same size as the Disneyland version? Seems like that would be huge mistake given the popularity of Disneyland... Down here in Ft Lauderdale we have The Mai Kai...one of the last and best examples of 1950s tiki kitsch... It has packed houses and bar every evening still... People still love this stuff... they really need to address the crowd issues....and no one wants to sit outside on a patio with no theming...
Do you know if the patio will also be decorated and designed to match the mood? The California version patio is sterile in comparison to the wonderful interior..
www.maikai.com

I don’t know the square footage of the Trader Sam’s Enchanted Tiki Bar and the construction plans of the Trader Sam’s Grog Grotto look bigger to me but I was told they are about the same square footage inside. I think the way they laid out the Grog Grotto makes it feel much more open and to me looks bigger but the guy I spoke to would know better than me.
I enjoy the patio outside now with the live music and tiki tourches. Once the one at the Polynesian is done with its view of the lagoon and part of the new pool deck area I think the outside patio will be a great place to relax in the evening.

Bocabear

I have been to Trader Sams a few times, and a few times had to sit outside because of capacity issues...the live music is nice, but really you could be on a patio at any restaurant in Southern California... It is just not that interesting...especially compared to the interior bar... lots of fun decor, things happening. It is a wonderful theatrical interior. I would think Disney could do an amazing job on the outdoor patio to actually make it feel like the interior... think Enchanted Tiki Room Queue... That would be wonderful...but we will have to see at this point. I am excited about this addition!!

tikiman

Well we just have different opinions on things. I enjoy the outdoor patio very much. I can’t see myself complaining about the fact that I am at Disneyland sitting on the patio at Trader Sam’s, enjoying my friends and some great drinks while listening to live Hawaiian music. I agree that inside is much more entertaining and interesting but I try and enjoy things for what they are instead of complain about what they could have been. Then again I can be happy drinking a Scorpion sitting in a chair at the Pool at the Polynesian just looking at the boats go by on the lagoon. I don’t have to be entertained all the time. Having good places to relax and enjoy the moment is important to me.

Bocabear

you misunderstand...I was not complaining... I was talking about concepts and ideas...
I too can enjoy a patio and have quite frequently...lol.
but the patio is a shadowy ghost of the wonderful theatrical interior...
i was just hopeful that some of the fun of the inside would spill over into the exterior spaces making it just as engaging an environment...
I was not complaining...
I thought this thread was to discuss stuff... no?

tikiman

you misunderstand...I was not complaining... I was talking about concepts and ideas...
I too can enjoy a patio and have quite frequently...lol.
but the patio is a shadowy ghost of the wonderful theatrical interior...
i was just hopeful that some of the fun of the inside would spill over into the exterior spaces making it just as engaging an environment...
I was not complaining...
I thought this thread was to discuss stuff... no?

I thought we were discussing things? You gave your opinion and I gave mine. I don't believe I ever told you your opinion was not allowed, I just don't agree with it.

TeriofTerror

@tikiman - I read an article today you wrote regarding the new Trader Sam's - thank you! It was very informative and enjoyable.
Quick question: Are you saying that you believe that later in the evenings the East Coast TS's will discourage people from bringing young children, as they do on the West Coast? (Please say yes, please say yes, please say yes.)

tikiman

@tikiman - I read an article today you wrote regarding the new Trader Sam's - thank you! It was very informative and enjoyable.
Quick question: Are you saying that you believe that later in the evenings the East Coast TS's will discourage people from bringing young children, as they do on the West Coast? (Please say yes, please say yes, please say yes.)

Children are allowed on the patio at any time if accompanied by adults but inside the bar they are not allowed after they stop serving food which i believe is 11:00 pm

kkocka

Kids are allowed inside (not at the bar, even w/an adult) until 8pm, then they get the boot! :D Personally, with the rare exception, if I can't be inside then I don't bother. I have a good relationship w/most bartenders there and enjoy the conversation, trying new things, getting an education, etc as well as the surroundings. The outside can be very chill though and you can easily be tricked into thinking there isn't a busy theme park several hundred yards away. The Poly will have the benefit of a greater distance and being little more remote thanks to the giant body of water which I am guessing discourages foot traffic more than a direct pathway via CA's Downtown Disney.

Next Big Thing

Kids are allowed inside (not at the bar, even w/an adult) until 8pm, then they get the boot! :D Personally, with the rare exception, if I can't be inside then I don't bother. I have a good relationship w/most bartenders there and enjoy the conversation, trying new things, getting an education, etc as well as the surroundings. The outside can be very chill though and you can easily be tricked into thinking there isn't a busy theme park several hundred yards away. The Poly will have the benefit of a greater distance and being little more remote thanks to the giant body of water which I am guessing discourages foot traffic more than a direct pathway via CA's Downtown Disney.
Well if people really want to get there from MK all they need to do is take the resort monorail.

71jason

Kids are allowed inside (not at the bar, even w/an adult) until 8pm, then they get the boot! :D

I would love for this to be the case in Orlando, but sadly, I don't see it happening. (The 8 pm part--technically not allowed at the bar already, tho a rule more honored in the breach than the observance at WDW.)

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
The one at the Polynesian will have a much different theme and layout.

Do you find the different theme and layout for the Poly to be an improvement upon what is at Disneyland? I know it's hard to be sure until it's actually finished, but I assume you've seen the plans and concept art.

I really enjoyed Trader Sam's when I was at DL earlier this year so I hope its WDW counterpart is at the very least just as good as the original.

Kman101

Still looking forward to Trader Sam's. I mean, let's be real, are kids actually going to be in a bar after say 9/10pm? And if they are, I think that's sort of a problem that has nothing to do with alcohol being served. And also if people think this won't be crowded ... they'll be wrong.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Still looking forward to Trader Sam's. I mean, let's be real, are kids actually going to be in a bar after say 9/10pm? And if they are, I think that's sort of a problem that has nothing to do with alcohol being served. And also if people think this won't be crowded ... they'll be wrong.
You obviously never had the pleasure of sitting next to someone's exhausted 9 year old at 1:00 AM in the Comedy Warehouse or Adventurer's Club.

I have on numerous occasions.

Parents at WDW tend to leave their common sense at home. If kids are not forbidden, (eg Jellyrolls) there is a 100% chance that they will be there.

HRHPrincessAriel

You obviously never had the pleasure of sitting next to someone's exhausted 9 year old at 1:00 AM in the Comedy Warehouse or Adventurer's Club.

I have on numerous occasions.

Parents at WDW tend to leave their common sense at home. If kids are not forbidden, (eg Jellyrolls) there is a 100% chance that they will be there.

This just baffles me. I know it happens but I'm still just amazed by it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom