PHOTOS - Disney reveals new lobby design and Trader Sam's lounge for the Polynesian

Bocabear

Staying at a resort does not guarantee you a reservation into it's lounges and restaurants... We stayed at the Disneyland Hotel and could not get into Trader Sam's the two times we tried, and the thought never even occurred to me that we deserved a reservation and entrance... Not saying I would not love to have a special DVC lounge perk here and there...lol But a lounge and restaurant is not the same as having access to the pool or other resort amenities... There are crowded days at the hotel pools too, and do you DEMAND a lounge chair when they are all full?

flynnibus

Premium Member
But a lounge and restaurant is not the same as having access to the pool or other resort amenities... There are crowded days at the hotel pools too, and do you DEMAND a lounge chair when they are all full?

You overlook that restaurants were put on the property first to serve the hotel...
Not be the destination restaurant on property. That's what happened as Disney started pumping up volumes through the ddp.

Imagine picking a hotel to stay at and the amenities page said "we have no onsite restaurants but you are free to explore the other restaurants in the network of properties". Compared to a hotel that advertised Ohana as their onsite restaurant.

The resturnant is advertised as part of the resort experience. I don't think it's a far fetch to assume some priority access for for on property guests.

The problem is it's not the poly that is "on property" anymore... It's all of wdw. And as a guest, you were paying to stay at the poly...

flyerjab

Was at the Poly the past 2 nights. There are enough walls/scrims up in there that if all lined up in a row would rival the Great Wall of China.

Seriously though, I talked with one of the concierge desk CMs about how things were going and she said (with a stressed look) that it has been rough. She went on to say that they are really looking forward to next year after all of this work is finished.

She indicated that they will be using a bracelet system similar to the one at YC/BC. She stated that they are expecting that the upgrades to the overall pool area will make the Poly pool really popular. She did reference the large infinity hot tub and other things that Tikiman alluded to. I actually mentioned him during the conversation and there was much eye rolling. They indicated that pretty much everyone that works there knows of him but they don't speak about him very much. Didn't know how to take that so I didn't press.

She went on to say that the amount of negative responses concerning the removal of the fountain has been staggering. They saw a petition, people tried to remove stones, others offered to pay for pieces of the fountain. She did say she understood, though, as the fountain was iconic. One negative she mentioned was that at times CMs had to shout because of the noise in the lobby.

Mawg

You overlook that restaurants were put on the property first to serve the hotel...
Not be the destination restaurant on property. That's what happened as Disney started pumping up volumes through the ddp.

Imagine picking a hotel to stay at and the amenities page said "we have no onsite restaurants but you are free to explore the other restaurants in the network of properties". Compared to a hotel that advertised Ohana as their onsite restaurant.

The resturnant is advertised as part of the resort experience. I don't think it's a far fetch to assume some priority access for for on property guests.

The problem is it's not the poly that is "on property" anymore... It's all of wdw. And as a guest, you were paying to stay at the poly...

Nicer resorts have nicer restaurants that tend to pull in people from other places not just the resort. It's this way in every town. Going to Vegas in a few weeks, I don't expect to be able to walk into any restaurant in my resort and be able to be seated. But, I am making reservations at other restaurants in other resorts. Even in the small city I live in some of the nicer restaurants are in resorts, if it's a Holiday you better have a reservation and no they are not going to be sure that their guests can walk in and grab a table.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Nicer resorts have nicer restaurants that tend to pull in people from other places not just the resort. It's this way in every town. Going to Vegas in a few weeks, I don't expect to be able to walk into any restaurant in my resort and be able to be seated. But, I am making reservations at other restaurants in other resorts. Even in the small city I live in some of the nicer restaurants are in resorts, if it's a Holiday you better have a reservation and no they are not going to be sure that their guests can walk in and grab a table.

I didn't say exclusive... I said it's not far fetched idea to expect some priority for hotel guests given the resturnant is part of the resort. Why not hold back some capacity to accept walk ups?

Mawg

I didn't say exclusive... I said it's not far fetched idea to expect some priority for hotel guests given the resturnant is part of the resort. Why not hold back some capacity to accept walk ups?
I'm not saying it wouldn't be nice. But I have never heard of any restaurant inside or outside of WDW that would turn down a reservation so that they can save some space for a possible walkin from the resort. I'm sure some exists but I've never heard of any.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I'm not saying it wouldn't be nice. But I have never heard of any restaurant inside or outside of WDW that would turn down a reservation so that they can save some space for a possible walkin from the resort. I'm sure some exists but I've never heard of any.
I think there was a time many years ago that a reservation at the Royal Pacific would guarantee you a table at Emeril's Tchoup Chop, but I no longer see it listed on Universal's site as a benefit for staying at the resort.

Like you, I am sure that some places will do it, but I suspect that it kept on the down low most of the time. It would also not surprise me if table availability was based on who is asking. Mr Smith on his first trip to Vegas is not walking into é on a Friday night. Mr Jones who drops $500k a year the tables will be seated in 15 minutes.

I am in your camp though. I would much rather have a restaurant running at 100% occupancy then have it at 80% hoping for walk ups.

flynnibus

Premium Member

Booking out 100% of your capacity to reservations is a WDW gimmick... not really followed by the rest of the world as much.

flyerjab

Thinking about this more, if what @WDW1974 is saying comes to fruition concerning the future conversion of existing deluxe resort rooms to DVC rooms, it wouldn't surprise me if they started having exclusive areas at the resorts for DVC members only.

Maybe what some people on here have been suggesting concerning perks for on site stays (@ParentsOf4 for example) could be applied differently. Maybe we have not been thinking big enough. What if additional FP reservations were offered to DVC members. Or, even more enticing, what if special lounges/areas within the resorts were only offered to DVC members. Could you imagine if a place like Trader Sam's was only offered to DVC members? I believe I recall @WDW1974 mentioning the possibility of there being a DVC lounge in the changes planned for the future expansion of DVC at the WL. It wouldn't surprise me if this started happening if WDW wanted to find new ways to drive future DVC sale.

Bocabear

I would not call Top OfThe World a failure...almost every time I have been there it has been very busy... So busy they lock off the elevators to the lounge and you have to wait to be sent up.... TYhe more DVC units in a resort, the busier the lounge will be.
As long as it is not taking something away from the resort, I love the idea of a DVC special lounge in each DVC resort....let's face it, DVC if you add it up, is like staying in the most premium room at the hotel, so why not have a little perk... again, not taking away anything from the other guests, but adding something for the DVC members... Love that idea.

flyerjab

I would not call Top OfThe World a failure...almost every time I have been there it has been very busy... So busy they lock off the elevators to the lounge and you have to wait to be sent up.... TYhe more DVC units in a resort, the busier the lounge will be.
As long as it is not taking something away from the resort, I love the idea of a DVC special lounge in each DVC resort....let's face it, DVC if you add it up, is like staying in the most premium room at the hotel, so why not have a little perk... again, not taking away anything from the other guests, but adding something for the DVC members... Love that idea.

I have stated on several posts that I do not have a business pedigree. I also, however, am not blind to what is happening at WDW.

DVC is huge. It has been and continues to be a money maker, even if it is not an effective long range strategy. If they are going to potentially be driving up DVC sales by increasing on site capacity, it wouldn't be surprising to me at all if DVC perks were expanded beyond the current discount. At the Poly, for example, with 3 long houses and the bungalows, Trader Sam's would be packed every night if if was exclusive to DVC guests. Now imagine if there were DVC exclusive lounges at other onsite resorts. If I were running DVC, I would be pushing for offerings that drove exclusivity for DVC members. Discounts, members only lounges, added FPs, etc.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I have stated on several posts that I do not have a business pedigree. I also, however, am not blind to what is happening at WDW.

DVC is huge. It has been and continues to be a money maker, even if it is not an effective long range strategy. If they are going to potentially be driving up DVC sales by increasing on site capacity, it wouldn't be surprising to me at all if DVC perks were expanded beyond the current discount. At the Poly, for example, with 3 long houses and the bungalows, Trader Sam's would be packed every night if if was exclusive to DVC guests. Now imagine if there were DVC exclusive lounges at other onsite resorts. If I were running DVC, I would be pushing for offerings that drove exclusivity for DVC members. Discounts, members only lounges, added FPs, etc.
If Disney would not worry about the DVC lounges making a profit they could do that. However, based on reports of the lounge on top of BLT always being on the edge of the chopping block for coming up short, it does not seem like they will ever look at them that way.

kkocka

You overlook that restaurants were put on the property first to serve the hotel...Not be the destination restaurant on property.

That's often my response for all the complaints about Sam's being "too small" with "slow service," etc. You have to play the location like anywhere else in the parks: know when the good and bad times are to go and be realistic. People need to keep in mind that its a hotel bar first. If it were in the middle of Downtown Disney (as people foolishly think it is occasionally) then that would be a different matter.

That being said, I've been able to make myself a regular there while establishing good relationships with the staff and making a few good friends from there as well. If there were any exclusivity to it then I'd either rarely be there, or I'd be broke from hotel bookings.

Tom

Beta Return
I feel the need to share some very interesting information...

To refresh memories and bring others up to speed, I'm acquaintances with an elderly gentleman named Tom K (last name withheld for privacy). He and his wife go to my church and live near me. We don't "hang out", but we're good "church friends". They're heavily involved with the church festival I help run, so we see a lot of each other every July, specifically.

Tom is probably about 70. He owned a landscape maintenance company in Vero Beach called Kare by K*. He also owned a nursery/flower shop called The Flower Box, which still exists and is owned by the people who bought it from him when he left Florida in 1984.

I've shared before that I learned from him a couple years ago that he was instrumental in the design and implementation of the Poly water features. When I first found out, I was overwhelmed. But given his health conditions at the time, I didn't push too far for details.

He submitted a design for the main water feature outside the front door, and was given the contract. He and his family met Roy when he came through their hotel to personally greet all the 3rd party local contractors. Pretty cool story.

Anyway, Saturday I was at the church for the last day of the festival. I was just hanging around, waiting to start breaking things down, and he was there waiting for his wife (she heads up our clean-up volunteers).

Since it was just he and I, I decided to ease into the Disney topic. Keep in mind that he's not a Disney fan, and I don't think he's even been since he took his kids when they lived in Florida. He has no agenda and no insight on what's going on. I assume he doesn't even talk about it, except for the few times I've discussed it with him.

Here's the best paraphrasing I can do from memory....but the interesting parts are near verbatim:

<small talk>

Me: Hey Tom, I remember you telling me about you being involved with the landscape features at the Polynesian hotel at Disney.

Him: Right, yeah, boy that was a long time ago. Hell, that was...what.....40 years ago?

Me: Actually, about 43 years from when it all opened. But you had a hand in the big waterfalls right?

Him: Yeah, we designed them...Disney built them. Well, we designed the one outside the front door.

Me: Oh, so did you have any involvement with the big one in the lobby?

Him: Yeah, the hotel was about ten percent from being finished and they still hadn't figured out what they were going to do there in the middle. Their designers were too busy, so they asked me for ideas since I had done the one outside. We came up with that monster and they built it pretty quickly.

Me: Well, here we are 43 years later, and they've just torn the thing out. They're saying it's because it's full of mold.

Him: I'm sure it is! Everyone was worried about that when we put the damn thing in! Nobody thought it would last ten years before they'd have to wreck it. You can't throw together a waterfall inside a building in Florida with a roof full of skylights over it.

Me: (after I chuckled a bit in amazement) Yeah, supposedly it's pretty bad. Moldy, and they can't repair the pump systems any more or access the skylights. It's a shame they're tearing it out....I know you don't do the internet thing, but there are a lot of people who are upset about this.

Him: Well, I'm glad people enjoyed it. What are they going to put there instead?

Me: Ummmm.....not quite sure yet, but it looks like a small sculpture or fountain.

I claim no insider status, but I do believe the best information comes directly from the source. I found it extremely interesting that the indoor water feature was possibly a "last minute" decision, and I further find it interesting that those involved in its inception knew that mold and mildew would be a problem.

The fact that those involved joked about it not lasting 10 years is a bit humorous, given how upset we all are about it being torn out 43 years later.

This certainly doesn't have any bearing on why they're not putting something back in its place, as that's more than likely a financial decision. It just confirms all the theories about it being removed due to mold and maintenance.

Mike S

I feel the need to share some very interesting information...

To refresh memories and bring others up to speed, I'm acquaintances with an elderly gentleman named Tom K (last name withheld for privacy). He and his wife go to my church and live near me. We don't "hang out", but we're good "church friends". They're heavily involved with the church festival I help run, so we see a lot of each other every July, specifically.

Tom is probably about 70. He owned a landscape maintenance company in Vero Beach called Kare by K*. He also owned a nursery/flower shop called The Flower Box, which still exists and is owned by the people who bought it from him when he left Florida in 1984.

I've shared before that I learned from him a couple years ago that he was instrumental in the design and implementation of the Poly water features. When I first found out, I was overwhelmed. But given his health conditions at the time, I didn't push too far for details.

He submitted a design for the main water feature outside the front door, and was given the contract. He and his family met Roy when he came through their hotel to personally greet all the 3rd party local contractors. Pretty cool story.

Anyway, Saturday I was at the church for the last day of the festival. I was just hanging around, waiting to start breaking things down, and he was there waiting for his wife (she heads up our clean-up volunteers).

Since it was just he and I, I decided to ease into the Disney topic. Keep in mind that he's not a Disney fan, and I don't think he's even been since he took his kids when they lived in Florida. He has no agenda and no insight on what's going on. I assume he doesn't even talk about it, except for the few times I've discussed it with him.

Here's the best paraphrasing I can do from memory....but the interesting parts are near verbatim:

<small talk>

Me: Hey Tom, I remember you telling me about you being involved with the landscape features at the Polynesian hotel at Disney.

Him: Right, yeah, boy that was a long time ago. Hell, that was...what.....40 years ago?

Me: Actually, about 43 years from when it all opened. But you had a hand in the big waterfalls right?

Him: Yeah, we designed them...Disney built them. Well, we designed the one outside the front door.

Me: Oh, so did you have any involvement with the big one in the lobby?

Him: Yeah, the hotel was about ten percent from being finished and they still hadn't figured out what they were going to do there in the middle. Their designers were too busy, so they asked me for ideas since I had done the one outside. We came up with that monster and they built it pretty quickly.

Me: Well, here we are 43 years later, and they've just torn the thing out. They're saying it's because it's full of mold.

Him: I'm sure it is! Everyone was worried about that when we put the damn thing in! Nobody thought it would last ten years before they'd have to wreck it. You can't throw together a waterfall inside a building in Florida with a roof full of skylights over it.

Me: (after I chuckled a bit in amazement) Yeah, supposedly it's pretty bad. Moldy, and they can't repair the pump systems any more or access the skylights. It's a shame they're tearing it out....I know you don't do the internet thing, but there are a lot of people who are upset about this.

Him: Well, I'm glad people enjoyed it. What are they going to put there instead?

Me: Ummmm.....not quite sure yet, but it looks like a small sculpture or fountain.

I claim no insider status, but I do believe the best information comes directly from the source. I found it extremely interesting that the indoor water feature was possibly a "last minute" decision, and I further find it interesting that those involved in its inception knew that mold and mildew would be a problem.

The fact that those involved joked about it not lasting 10 years is a bit humorous, given how upset we all are about it being torn out 43 years later.

This certainly doesn't have any bearing on why they're not putting something back in its place, as that's more than likely a financial decision. It just confirms all the theories about it being removed due to mold and maintenance.
Very cool story. I'm glad I randomly decided to check this thread to see what was new about this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom