PHOTOS - Disney reveals new lobby design and Trader Sam's lounge for the Polynesian

Rasvar

One thing on the codes and comparing something like Gaylord Palms is that the Florida code underwent a major revamp since it was built in 2002. As far as the UV issue goes, Florida has added a tough standard that includes a high level of UV resistance testing for the required storm strength protection glazing that has to be applied to skylights. It is not a level of UV blockage for allowing to pass through as much as it is designed to prevent the breakdown of the protective coatings making it susceptible to storm damage. This was added in the 2009 Florida code update. This is most likely the cause of the UV issue stated since these coatings do reduce the amount of solar radiation allowed to pass through under the update code structures.

flynnibus

Premium Member
One thing on the codes and comparing something like Gaylord Palms is that the Florida code underwent a major revamp since it was built in 2002. As far as the UV issue goes, Florida has added a tough standard that includes a high level of UV resistance testing for the required storm strength protection glazing that has to be applied to skylights. It is not a level of UV blockage for allowing to pass through as much as it is designed to prevent the breakdown of the protective coatings making it susceptible to storm damage. This was added in the 2009 Florida code update. This is most likely the cause of the UV issue stated since these coatings do reduce the amount of solar radiation allowed to pass through under the update code structures.

Your reference is a great example of how something true, can be mangled into 'half truths' . A new weathering standard could be twisted into "new building code requires blocking UV...". One is a statement that has the result due to cause and effect.. the other is a statement of a requirement in itself. Both can end up at the same end spot.. but one is accurate, the other is not :)

Can you point me to the "tough standard" or protection glazing you are referring to? Are you referring to SECTION 2612 HIGH-VELOCITY HURRICANE ZONES-PLASTICS ? or something else?

Rasvar

Your reference is a great example of how something true, can be mangled into 'half truths' . A new weathering standard could be twisted into "new building code requires blocking UV...". One is a statement that has the result due to cause and effect.. the other is a statement of a requirement in itself. Both can end up at the same end spot.. but one is accurate, the other is not :)

Can you point me to the "tough standard" or protection glazing you are referring to? Are you referring to SECTION 2612 HIGH-VELOCITY HURRICANE ZONES-PLASTICS ? or something else?

Yes, the standard for the UV resistance testing for the coatings in that section. The building I work in recently replaced it's old atrium skylights with new to code standard ones since the old ones would create an indoor waterfall. Comments were made about the reduced light levels and the word we got from the contractor was that the new storm glazing on the domes reduced the light passing through by about 10%.

Edit: Not sure that is the exact section. But the code I saw had significant sections on UV resistance testing to prevent breakdown.

Last edited:

Stevek

This whole thread got out of hand. No one is happy about the central feature coming out, and it's leading to emotional responses.

Let me see if I can't simplify it up....

The water feature can't be kept as is. There is no fixing it, because fixing it would mean exposing HazMat, and once it's exposed, code dictates you need to remediate. When remediation is impossible, or close to it, then the whole thing needs to come out. Am I close here? It seems to be the most likely/obvious explanation.

Secondarily, Disney could rebuild a large central water feature, sure. But they are choosing not to, wether that is simply a design choice, or being dictated by budget, that's more inside info then I have access to. I suspect it's budget related though.
This is basically what I've heard as well. The Feature had to come out. Beyond that, it was Disney's choice to make a change and essentially (in their eyes) freshen up the resort with something new. My guess is that the average guest won't care. While the feature certainly enhances the feel in the lobby, it's likely not the reason they are staying there...unless there are some that spend their whole day in the lobby.

I was just reading up on Trader Sam's at Disneyland to get an idea of what's coming to the Poly. One thing that was mentioned was that there are often long lines just to get in. This raises an interesting, if not sticky question.

If there is a line to get in, will Poly guests be given priority in the queue?

The way I look at it, since it is being built at the Poly, it would be considered a Poly amenity. The resort's lounge if you will. If it was meant to be a public, stand alone establishment, they would have built it at Disney Springs. From the point of view of a Poly guest, much like the beaches and pool, I'd be a little ticked if I have a hard time getting into my resort's lounge because it's packed with non resort guests.

It's probably too soon for any policy to be in place but I wonder if it is even been considered by management.

Horizons1

I was just reading up on Trader Sam's at Disneyland to get an idea of what's coming to the Poly. One thing that was mentioned was that there are often long lines just to get in. This raises an interesting, if not sticky question.

The way I look at it, since it is being built at the Poly, it would be considered a Poly amenity. The resort's lounge if you will. If it was meant to be a public, stand alone establishment, they would have built it at Disney Springs. From the point of view of a Poly guest, much like the beaches and pool, I'd be a little ticked if I have a hard time getting into my resort's lounge because it's packed with non resort guests.

It's probably too soon for any policy to be in place but I wonder if it is even been considered by management.

Oh, there are some interesting things being considered by management.

Mad Stitch

Trader Sam's at Disneyland is very small. Total capacity is only 47 people. I would think the one at Poly would be much larger.

JCtheparrothead

Trader Sam's at Disneyland is very small. Total capacity is only 47 people. I would think the one at Poly would be much larger.
It is very small but there is a really large porch around it. They serve all the food and beverages out there but you dont get the total TS atmosphere there. But they do have nightly music which was very Hawaiian and a pretty good time.

COProgressFan

If it's anything like the situation with dining, the answer will be tough luck.

I know of a family who visited recently who couldn't even get seating for breakfast a few weeks ago at Kona. And they were not taking walkups. If that isn't a smack in the face to guests shelling out $400+ a night I don't know what is. It's just poor customer service.

(Waiting for all the responses from folks telling me these guests should have made a reservation for scrambled eggs and toast six months ago...)

I know of a family who visited recently who couldn't even get seating for breakfast a few weeks ago at Kona. And they were not taking walkups. If that isn't a smack in the face to guests shelling out $400+ a night I don't know what is. It's just poor customer service.

(Waiting for all the responses from folks telling me these guests should have made a reservation for scrambled eggs and toast six months ago...)

I hear what you're saying and don't disagree. Though I kind of consider a restaurant a different animal since there is a reservation system in place and has a relatively fixed turn around. People go, eat then leave.

A resort lounge is completely walkup without necessarily the reliable turnaround. In theory, I can take up space in the lounge all day (assuming my alcohol tolerance holds out). This could mean long waits as people leave in drips and drops and where the resort guest priority would be signifigant.

kkocka

Poly guests definitely wouldn't get priority over the location. I will say, though, is that because Disneyland is much more intimate, its easier for people to stumble upon it without much effort. The parks are right next to Downtown Disney, and Downtown Disney is right next to the Disneyland Hotel.

WDW has the benefit of a little more distance/necessary travel to reach the Poly and future Sam's. That should discourage the stragglers and separate them from the tiki folk who genuinely want to go out of their way to visit.

GrammieBee

Behind all the smoke and mirrors a few simple truths appear to emerge. It's not logical that with all their expertise Disney can't find a way to do a tropical plant and water feature if they really wanted to. The crux of the matter is that, for whatever reasons which they are under no obligation to divulge to us, and whether we like or agree with them or not, the powers that be do not want to have such a feature in the new lobby. They could, but they won't. End of story.

morningstar

I actually took th. time to look this up. In the 2010 Florida building codes, section 502.1.1.1 table 2 states that skylights need to have an SHGC (Solar Heat Gain Coefficient) of less than .19. That is the measure of how much solar energy penetrates the fixture. The higher the number, the more energy gets through. I then looked up the recommended SHGC for a greenhouse figuring that would be about what you would need to keep plants alive. That value .60 or higher, three times more than building codes allow. That should confirm what @tikiman is saying.

All solar energy is not UV. Also, no, you don't need a greenhouse to keep plants alive. The purpose of a greenhouse is to trap solar heat for plants that need a warmer environment than the local climate. They probably have some plants in the Polynesian that would get a little chilly even in Florida winters, but they are going to keep the lobby at a regulated temperature anyway; it's not necessary that that heat comes from the sun. Obviously the plants need light as well, but I don't think there is any law against letting light into a building. A greenhouse doesn't achieve high heat gain just by letting light in, but by not letting heat out.

tirian

The Poly was my favorite resort until DDP ruined it. Now the restaurants are packed with tourists, and the beaches are covered with people who want the view without paying the room rates. Two years ago, I swore I'd never stay there again.

If you stay at the Poly as a guest, you have easy access to cheeseburgers at Captain Cook's and room service. That's it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom