PHOTOS - Disney reveals new lobby design and Trader Sam's lounge for the Polynesian

Rider

So going back to Trader Sams can you just take the mugs you have just bought or do you have to get a pager to go inside to show your receipt to pick up the mugs... or are there any more convoluted steps of this process?

If you buy at the bar patio you return the mug you drank out of and take your receipt to the inside greeter. They'll give you a new mug in a box to take home.

I assume the same thing happens if you're inside except your server brings it to you.

NiarrNDisney

I know there's other places to drink on property, I was wondering about highly themed places like PI used to have where Imagineering has worked overtime to create places that are attractions in themselves.

I'll give you Jellyrolls and Raglan, they can be fun, but to me most of those lounges are nice enough, but not a million miles from the kind of upmarket hotel bars you'd get anywhere and not exactly party central - more Senior Frogs than Senor Frogs. The demographic that enjoys the lounges seems to be an older, classier crowd who want a quiet drink as opposed to those who would have been most at home at Mannequins, Comedy or Adventurer's - obviously I'm generalising, but that's the vibe I've got in the past.

Trader Sam's at least appears to be one where Imagineering has gone to town, which is why I asked how it compared to Adventurer's Club.

True I would also like to see more done on the lines of creating other places around property like Trader Sam's! Maybe even updating some of the options I had listed before like River Roost (PORS) or Scat Cats (POFQ) having a little more added to there usual entertainment line up. Some animatronics, special drinks in souvenir glasses, CM interaction (outside of making drinks) etc. etc. would all be nice additions. Honestly I think it will be awhile but I would not be surprised that the Mouse makes these considerations to other bars/lounges at one or two of the other resorts once they have assessed the popularity of Trader Sam's at the Polynesian.

note2001

Am I missing something? Why are bloggers and Disney fanatics going nuts over a bar?
It's new.

I loved the 10 minute videos one of the vloggers was producing on Disney property in which he/she did absolutely nothing. He simply set up a camera somewhere and let it run, catching the sounds of the music, boats, kids playing, comments about needing a bathroom (LOL). In my opinion, It was a hundred times better than those who constantly point the camera at themselves and talk.

Once the pool opens, I'd love one of these done on the deck of Trader Sams, not to overhear conversations, but to listen to the music and shouts and splashing of kids in the distance.

Eckert

Am I missing something? Why are bloggers and Disney fanatics going nuts over a bar?

You don't understand! It's from DISNEYLAND!

Anyway, here's my mini report from a single rider perspective:
-the majority of the drinks are reasonably priced! You're gonna pay about $20 for the drinks in the specialty mugs, though,
-but you get to drink from the mugs! And then you return them if you aren't interested in getting a mug.
-good luck peeping your head in. Not happening, even as a single rider.
-I ordered a mojito and it is gooood.
-the outside patio is pleasant! Totally don't mind not being inside the cool kids club.
-the drink stirrers have the trader Sam logo and have Disneyland Hotel written on the back. Oooo, imported!

That's the story so far. If you've got a keen eye, you can spot the lifestylers amongst the nice, happy guests who are truly enjoying what Trader Sam's has to offer. :)

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I'm surprised we did since every bar menu on property has been the same for years now. Maybe this will signal the return of more signature drinks.

Pffft. Unlikely. We're gonna need a long-term sample size and see how this plays over the next few months before making any crazy ideas like expanding alcohol sales on property....
Last I knew Victoria Falls had something like three signature drinks. Not 100% exclusive but only available there and Jiko (and maybe Boma).

So after looking around, @71jason was saying last night was mostly CMs on the patio.

And some very very bad tippers too.

Just gonna put this out there.... If you can't go to the effort to tip your fellow Cast 18-20% per industry norms, there's no need to go.
I think 18-20% is much less standard in a bar setting than in a restaurant. I usually tip $1 per drink plus additional singles for exceptional service, so how that shakes out as a percentage depends on the price of the drinks themselves. I don't think it's reasonable to expect 20% tips on drinks priced atronomically high because they come in a souvenir mug.

PhotoDave219

Last I knew Victoria Falls had something like three signature drinks. Not 100% exclusive but only available there and Jiko (and maybe Boma).

I think 18-20% is much less standard in a bar setting than in a restaurant. I usually tip $1 per drink plus additional singles for exceptional service, so how that shakes out as a percentage depends on the price of the drinks themselves. I don't think it's reasonable to expect 20% tips on drinks priced atronomically high because they come in a souvenir mug.

True but when your party takes up a table for 3 hours and you leave $2? Then you're behaving unacceptably. Cast members shouldn't be stiffing other Cast members.

Personally? I go about $2 a drink, $1 for a bottled beer.

NiarrNDisney

Yes some bars around property do have a couple of their own drinks and list of beer, liquors and wines specific to them. To Many to list though I think I will just go ahead and make an extensive list over in the Dining Forum.

~edit~ Here's the thread: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/resort-bars-lounges-specialties.897714/

Last edited:

PhotoDave219

Yes some bars around property do have a couple of their own drinks and list of beer, liquors and wines specific to them. To Many to list though I think I will just go ahead and make an extensive list over in the Dining Forum.

Looking at trader sam's beer/wine list, those are pretty much property wide. Thank god for Fat Tire.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom