PHOTOS - A look at the first day of the big Next-Gen FASTPASS+ test

hellowonderland

We received Fast Pass+ cards for our trip next week. By the time I got to making my ride reservations, fastpasses for the experiences I really wanted to reserve (parades, fireworks, character greetings) were "sold out" for the entire week. So, fast forward another year and we'll all be getting up at the crack of dawn 6 months before our trip in order to reserve times for the most popular attractions... exactly the way we do now for dining. Oh boy!
This made me cringe. Oh, Disney. Even for a psychotic planner like me, this is a bit much and perfectly captures why I loathe this whole idea.

hellowonderland

Why? U don't have to use it just cause its offered? Doesn't mean u can't ride the ride ever on your trip? Disney is not forcing anyone to get up early? Not trying to be rude but just trying understand
What bugs me specifically is all the money that's going into this. It could have been used in a million other ways that would have benefited the guest experience so much more.

nytimez

Why? U don't have to use it just cause its offered? Doesn't mean u can't ride the ride ever on your trip? Disney is not forcing anyone to get up early? Not trying to be rude but just trying understand

It's like the dining plan. I used to be able to walk into a restaurant with little planning and get a decent meal. Now, many restaurants are completely booked (and the meals are of lower quality, which is a related, but different, problem). So, I eat more CS meals than ever now... which saves me money, but it diminishes the whole trip experience to a certain extent.

Same for FP+. Once this goes to the masses, rides will be "booked" months ahead of time. I don't think it's stretch to believe that this will come at the expense of reducing the number of FPs currently available. And since that is something I do use -- a lot -- it would make it harder for me to get FPs, and harder for me to enjoy the attractions without using the standby lines.

So, first fewer restaurants. Next, fewer attractions. Because I'm simply not going to plan my trip 180 days in advance.

At some point, I will go less often or not go at all.

kittybubbles

Happened to be at the magic kingdom this AM. We rode the haunted mansion this AM, I am pretty sure there was a second pair of RFID readers up where the queues merged. We did not have FP+, just wanted to mention that the regular queue went to the cemetery, the typical by-pass entrance was the new FP+ queue. the cemetery had all the switchbacks opened so it was a real queue going past all the new interactive elements (although the ride was really a walk on).

FWIW, my phone picked up on a few more (secured) WI-FI networks than I have seen in the past at the magic kingdom...one being WLANtest. I guess that is for the iPADs the cast members use at the second check point of the haunted mansion.

the-reason14

SMH, totally unnecessary. With that out the way, I do see how it could be beneficial for me personally if I had fastpasses for rides that I wanted to ride at other parks. Just echoing what a few other posters said. It would be real convenient to have fastpasses for TSM while I spend my morning at MK. So instead of parkhopping there and back or sending my dad, we could just chill at the MK and go to mgm to do TSM when it's time. Now also with that said, I don't like the idea of not being able to reserve the rides that I truly want to ride and the amount. Screw IASW, HM, I want 6 space mt. fastpass+ waiting for me and 3 or 2 for splash mt. But I'm guessing it won't work like that so I'm guessing I'm going to Disneyland.

djlaosc

SMH, totally unnecessary. With that out the way, I do see how it could be beneficial for me personally if I had fastpasses for rides that I wanted to ride at other parks. Just echoing what a few other posters said. It would be real convenient to have fastpasses for TSM while I spend my morning at MK. So instead of parkhopping there and back or sending my dad, we could just chill at the MK and go to mgm to do TSM when it's time. Now also with that said, I don't like the idea of not being able to reserve the rides that I truly want to ride and the amount. Screw IASW, HM, I want 6 space mt. fastpass+ waiting for me and 3 or 2 for splash mt. But I'm guessing it won't work like that so I'm guessing I'm going to Disneyland.

Well, rumours seem to be (in the GAC thread: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/possible-changes-coming-to-the-guest-assistance-cards-gac.850729/ ) that NextGen/keeping to fastpass times will start to happen in Disneyland in 2013-2014.

pookiepooh

We received Fast Pass+ cards for our trip next week. By the time I got to making my ride reservations, fastpasses for the experiences I really wanted to reserve (parades, fireworks, character greetings) were "sold out" for the entire week. So, fast forward another year and we'll all be getting up at the crack of dawn 6 months before our trip in order to reserve times for the most popular attractions... exactly the way we do now for dining. Oh boy!

Now to be fair, the parade/fireworks viewings areas obviously will be the first to go, because there is a very small, defined number of people that can fit into that roped-off space. No reason to "loathe" (not your words, another poster's) the entire system. Attractions have exponentially higher capacity per day than a firework/parade viewing area.

And if you can't reserve a FP+ spot for the parade/fireworks, don't worry because all that means is you show up maybe 15 minutes earlier to secure a good spot somewhere else. That is not something you could do at a restaurant, where, again it is a finite number of people who can fit at a given time, but showing up early doesn't mean you can experience the food. So I don't think the comparison is apples to apples.

Not a huge deal, IMHO.

the-reason14

nytimez

I honestly don't know if DLers will be so accepting of this. Ya there's a group here who already hate the sound of this at WDW but we're the minority. DL's fanbase wouldn't be so accepting of this I think.

I could be wrong, but it seems to me that DL trips can be more spontaneous -- "hey, let's go this weekend" -- given that many of the guests come from nearby areas (and many are AP holders). Also, with so many repeat visitors, it may be that DL guests aren't as inclined to carefully plan each trip to make sure they hit each attraction, etc. etc.

I can't back this up with numbers -- just the impression I get.

TurboCaroline

Is it 5:00 yet?
I think it's a good idea. For example say you are going to the MK. Don't you normally run straight to SM, BTMRR and Splash? This way you know you will have your FP for those attractions and you can relax and take in Main Street and the castle. I'm sure this will be used more for the most popular attractions which makes sense. I just don't want it to be too far in advance. I think you should only be able to make the "reservations" after you check in but that could be a problem for people that don't have access to a computer.

quirkle

I must be in the minority. When I go in the parks I really take everything in and make my way around - if we get on the big rides we do - if we don't then we don't. So I would use FP+ in order to have times for those high demand ones and hopefully be able to meander. Yes I make my ADR 180 days out but I just don't stress if I miss something.

I do hope FP+ is available to me during my 2013 trip.

the-reason14

I could be wrong, but it seems to me that DL trips can be more spontaneous -- "hey, let's go this weekend" -- given that many of the guests come from nearby areas (and many are AP holders). Also, with so many repeat visitors, it may be that DL guests aren't as inclined to carefully plan each trip to make sure they hit each attraction, etc. etc.

I can't back this up with numbers -- just the impression I get.

And this is exactly why I think they would have a hard time pushing this over there. People with that mindset aren't gonna embrace this fully and I don't blame them. Now I also need to take into consideration that I've been blessed to have gone many times. So like someone else said, not seeing this or that really isn't gonna make or break a trip. However, if you're going and are spending money then you want the best bang for your buck and while this fastcrap+ may be for some, it may be the opposite for others.

Mawg

We make use of EMH's and don't typically have a problem riding everything we want to. However, there are a few attractions that no matter how early you get there you still have to wait in a long fast pass line. Toy Story comes to mind. Also, since the shows, parades and fireworks are throughout the day EMH does not really help with these. I think when I finally make use of Fast Pass +, I will use it primarily for hard to get fast passes (there aren't many) and reserved seating for shows. And then use EMH's and the regular fast passes for everything else. For me Fast Pass + will be a nice add-on.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
*sigh*
I've been taking pretty regular trips to WDW for 20 years already. This is just going to add more stress like ADRs have. Something Disney use to relieve me from. My gut tells me when this goes online soon for all it is going to implode. Lord help the guests that don't follow forums and just expect to queue up like they did 5 years ago on their last visit or are first time families that might be last time family guests. Just don't have a good feeling about this concept. Guests are going to need a vacation planning packet when they book a trip to understand "how to have a WDW Family Vacation."

Disney Really needs to start giving more benefits to its Resort Guest's, In fact many of the current benefits are being cutback. Resort Guests especially Deluxe resort guests are well deserving of First picks on dining reservations and even this new Fastpass+. Its Pretty pathetic when a family can't have a GOOD dinner/breakfast at a resort there paying $400 a night because they didn't plan 6 months in advance

disneyeater

This just another excuse for people to be lazy it started by getting an Ecv to get to the front of the line and prove your to lazy to wait in line and now you can pre plan your vacation from your laptop before you arrive. Why don't you lazy people just save a lot of coin and sit on your couch and YouTube the rides that way you have no wait at all. I cant believe this new system will do anything but create more aggravation.

Not to pick nits...but wouldn't doing no pre-planning at all be more lazy?

Fantasmic

I actually HATE this idea. The thought of having to micro-manage my holiday to such fine detail as to what time I'm going to have to be at Splash Mountain on a specific day fills me with dread! I like be fairly free of a schedule on holiday, save for ADRs which, in fact we're not going to do next time, QSDP for us, as the ADRS were so restrictive and "ate up" our holiday time!
I'm on such a routine and schedule at home, always adhering to times and places to be, that I like to get away from that in WDW!

rioriz

I must be in the minority. When I go in the parks I really take everything in and make my way around - if we get on the big rides we do - if we don't then we don't. So I would use FP+ in order to have times for those high demand ones and hopefully be able to meander. Yes I make my ADR 180 days out but I just don't stress if I miss something.

I do hope FP+ is available to me during my 2013 trip.

That's how I am, thats why this stuff doesn't bother me at all

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Disney Really needs to start giving more benefits to its Resort Guest's, In fact many of the current benefits are being cutback. Resort Guests especially Deluxe resort guests are well deserving of First picks on dining reservations and even this new Fastpass+. Its Pretty pathetic when a family can't have a GOOD dinner/breakfast at a resort there paying $400 a night because they didn't plan 6 months in advance

I'm not sure I agree with this. Floridians visit the parks a great deal and to eat. Pushing them out doesn't seem wise. I would agree to some sort of Perk being developed so you could eat in the hotel you are staying in though, it is annoying to have to hunt down breakfast.

sdobek

We participated in the testing today and saw a few issues. The first was we had selected FP times from 7-8 for the princess meet and greet. We got there at 7:30 and scanned our cards and the system spit out that we didn't have passes for that time so they kicked us out into the standby line. not having a physical printed pass sucks when the computer glitches. I went back to town hall after to verify i had the time right (it was) and to let them know about the issue. The 2nd issue i noticed was that each FP had to be scanned one at a time, and the CM needs to hit a button on the kiosk to verify each pass. This is obviously slower then being able to hand in a whole stack of paper FPs for your entire group and the CM only had to count them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom