PHOTO - New ground clearing taking place behind Harambe in Disney's Animal Kingdom

RSoxNo1

I assume you're referring to FastPass+ functionality for Park Hoppers?
Are they really trying to lower the usage of them? Or, is it just a gap in the functionality of that that they haven't filled yet or decided how to fill?
Or, are they looking at usage and demand to determine if this it's even needed?
They would prefer that people don't hop to the Magic Kingdom. The problem is they need to build attractions in the other parks to validate this.

Rob562

That seems unlikely, that would be a long walk. It appears that the path will connect Africa and Asia.

Perhaps they meant "train station in Africa to get to Rafiki's Planet Watch" which would be true... It's an additional route to get from the train station area to near the drums along the Africa-Asia pathway so that you don't have to go through the center of Harambe.

-Rob

doctornick

They would prefer that people don't hop to the Magic Kingdom. The problem is they need to build attractions in the other parks to validate this.

That's the thing. I don't think they want to discourage the sale of hoppers per se, but I think they want to have crowds dispersed better among the four parks and all of them having good attendance and, more importantly, revenue generation.

A big issue is people going to other parks (especially DAK and DHS) in the daylight time and then going to MK at night. This creates just a massive crush at MK. Spreading those crowds around is a worthy goa; of course, having some sort of big night time area in DTD might help siphon off people. :rolleyes:

twebber55

That's the thing. I don't think they want to discourage the sale of hoppers per se, but I think they want to have crowds dispersed better among the four parks and all of them having good attendance and, more importantly, revenue generation.

A big issue is people going to other parks (especially DAK and DHS) in the daylight time and then going to MK at night. This creates just a massive crush at MK. Spreading those crowds around is a worthy goa; of course, having some sort of big night time area in DTD might help siphon off people. :rolleyes:
agree
I think both of these expansion should have this goal..to keep people in the parks in the evening

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
agree
I think both of these expansion should have this goal..to keep people in the parks in the evening
Certainly that's part of the DAK expansion, with Rivers of Light. That is a nighttime show. Plus, the evening version of KS, and Avatarland should look great at night. And DAK is really the only park that doesn't now have a reason to stay at night. Of course, if they do to DHS what we're all hoping they will do, it'll wind up with hours comparable to MK.

doctornick

Certainly that's part of the DAK expansion, with Rivers of Light. That is a nighttime show. Plus, the evening version of KS, and Avatarland should look great at night. And DAK is really the only park that doesn't now have a reason to stay at night. Of course, if they do to DHS what we're all hoping they will do, it'll wind up with hours comparable to MK.

Although many of us are wondering if, without more attractions build besides Pandora, whether the new offerings will simply shift people's "half day park" focus on DAK from "morning to afternoon" to "afternoon to evening" -- coming around lunch time and staying to night. That's still not idea for Disney and I think they'd prefer to have the park be busy all day (with people spending money on food and merch) but they probably need a couple more B/C/D-ticket rides in the park in addition to Pandora to make that happen.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Although many of us are wondering if, without more attractions build besides Pandora, whether the new offerings will simply shift people's "half day park" focus on DAK from "morning to afternoon" to "afternoon to evening" -- coming around lunch time and staying to night. That's still not idea for Disney and I think they'd prefer to have the park be busy all day (with people spending money on food and merch) but they probably need a couple more B/C/D-ticket rides in the park in addition to Pandora to make that happen.
If they add a show people want to see and 2 rides people want to ride, that at least seems to take the "It's a 1/2 day park" people up to "It's a 3/4 day park", which is a positive move. For those of us who like the animal exhibits as well, DAK is already a full-day park (we will usually spend about 16 hours there during a 10 day trip), but not a day-and-night park, because it's never open at night. This will fix that. Give me the option to to DAK at night now, and I'll do it -- the place is beautiful at night.

doctornick

If they add a show people want to see and 2 rides people want to ride, that at least seems to take the "It's a 1/2 day park" people up to "It's a 3/4 day park", which is a positive move. For those of us who like the animal exhibits as well, DAK is already a full-day park (we will usually spend about 16 hours there during a 10 day trip), but not a day-and-night park, because it's never open at night. This will fix that. Give me the option to to DAK at night now, and I'll do it -- the place is beautiful at night.

Regarding the show, though, they basically have swapped the daytime parade for the night time show. So, from a time commitment aspect, it's basically a replacement. Now, if they had a day time parade and a night time show you are talking about some serious stuff to keep people for a full day.

And, I'm not arguing about the quality of the park. I love DAK and consider it a full day park that is great for exploring. I'm talking more about the attitude of the typical guest.

WDWtraveler

Photo update, as of Saturday, Nov 8, 2014. These photos were taken from the Wildlife Express Train, as it pulls into the Harambe station. Can't see a lot, as the construction walls keep it hidden. However, you can see the tops of new buildings in the distance that aren't part of the current Harambe.

IMG_3806.JPG

IMG_3807.JPG

This building is very close to the railroad tracks.
IMG_3808.JPG

IMG_3810.JPG

IMG_3811.JPG

This is the view from the very end of the Wildlife Express Train boarding platform in Harambe. Look closely, the gray cinder block building extends all the way to the right to the thatched roof in the background. Perhaps a future pathway will exist from this new "town section" to the Harambe train station. It's that close. There is already an existing cast member's path (with gate) at the end of the boarding platform leading in that direction.

IMG_3812.JPG

Part of this new area (clearing) meets the Africa-to-Asia walkway. This photo shows the new area opening up just to the right of the existing building for Tamu Tamu Refreshments.

IMG_3814.JPG

Another perspective of the same view. This photo was taken from the "play your own drums" area across from Tamu Tamu Refreshments, looking into the new section of town. You can see the tops of new buildings here.

IMG_3813.JPG

Last edited:

wdrive

Any idea when this area will be completed? I'm visiting in April so hoping it's done by then. I'm thinking it will be but we all know how long they like to drag these things out sometimes.

Bolt

I would think they are building a new loading station for the train to attract guests to actually take it. I still wish the train would circle the park like Magic Kingdom dropping you off in different lands but I don't know how feasible that is.
They are not - first time I ever heard that idea too.

MarkTwain

Anyone know if the Harambe expansion will include a new QSR option? I would be a fan of a place that serves real African entrees for cheaper than Tusker House.

Next Big Thing

Anyone know if the Harambe expansion will include a new QSR option? I would be a fan of a place that serves real African entrees for cheaper than Tusker House.
I believe that's actually the main point of the expansion is adding a quick service option.

Ever since Tusker house was turned into a Table Service, that section of the park has been desperately lacking a QSR option. With higher attendance expected in 2016 with Rivers of Light and again in 2017 with Avatar, this will be much needed and a relief on the rest of the land.

twebber55

I believe that's actually the main point of the expansion is adding a quick service option.

Ever since Tusker house was turned into a Table Service, that section of the park has been desperately lacking a QSR option. With higher attendance expected in 2016 with Rivers of Light and again in 2017 with Avatar, this will be much needed and a relief on the rest of the land.
the park as a whole needs another TS and a couple of QS restaraunts

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom