Trip Report Phil getting swallowed by a shark is so September. It's time for a November Disney trip report!!!

NOTE - November 7, 2016 - For those of you just looking for the Disney portion of this trip report, it begins on Page 11. If you're looking for the Key West portion, begin on Page 5. PS - Original title of this thread was "Phil got swallowed by a Great White Shark - it's time to go back!"

NOTE - September 9, 2016 - For those of you who don't feel like scrolling through the "pre-trip report" stuff, I totally get it and the Key West portion of the actual trip begins on Page Five. The Disney Old Key West portion will begin in November. :) I'll give the page that starts on too. Now back to your regularly scheduled pre-trip report for those who want to read all of the posts.

Well, not exactly.

Or should I say, not yet.

Or should I say, Phil is actually the Great White Shark.

Ummm.... what exactly am I saying here, or trying to say, totally unsuccessfully?

Well, here goes.

For those of you who don't chat with us on the Chit Chat Thread, and damn you to all of you who don't (kidding! - come chat!), you will not really know how anti-Disney my partner Phil has been toward Disney since our last trip, which was last June. I'm not going to mince words - he has basically been a total jerk. Every time I bring up going back to Disney, he does something very similar to this:

The last time I brought it up, he said, and I quote, "I would rather be waterboarded than go back there!!!"

That can be arranged, is what I was thinking.

But wait! How can he possibly hate it so much when he acts like he loves it when he is there?? Your honor, I present to you the following evidence:

Biergarten.JPG

And this (if he's a little less happy here it's just cause there is no drink in his paw. :hungover:

Mexico.JPG

And this!

Boardwalk Villa.JPG

And this!!

Spoons.JPG

I could keep going all night, but you get the idea. I find him guilty of secretly liking Disney - at least once he gets there. This is not a tortured, miserable soul at a Disney park. He is having fun. So why all the pushback for going back?

Well, let me quote once again:

"I don't know why we have to go there all the time when there all all sorts of other places to go to!!!!"

Okay. Point taken. I didn't bring it up again for a while.

Then, a series of unfortunate events happened in very quick order, or actually just two that felt like a lot:

I got downsized (that means fired, due to budget cutbacks) from a job I had held for 19 years.Here is what was my incredible office:

Office 4.JPG

And then, soon after, our little cat, Spooky, started screaming in the middle of the night and we ran downstairs to find out what was going on, and the back half of him was paralyzed and cold. He wouldn't stop screaming. We rushed him as fast as possible to a 24-7 animal hospital and they told us that he had a sudden blood clot that had burst and paralyzed him and there was a 99.9% chance that there was no hope. We were basically forced to put Spooky to sleep. :(

Spooky hockey.JPG

Spooky snow.JPG
Spooky tub.JPG

The tears flowed like the River Jordan.

Yeah, it's been a rough patch folks.

But on the good news side, my contract got picked up by one of my previous job's competitors, and I was only out of work for 2 weeks. On the other hand, nothing can replace a sweet cat that didn't deserve to go in such a violent way. Where am I going with this?

Oh yes, that's right. You see, from my previous job, I got a small, but to me, significant severance package. People I tell about it laugh and say it's nothing, but to me, who has lived from paycheck to paycheck my entire life, I finally have money in the bank ---- but not for long if I have anything to say about it, dammit!!

This is my very long and meandering way of saying that I finally convinced Phil to go back to Disney, but only because I surprised him by telling him that for his birthday (on September 15), I was taking him to Key West. We've never been, and assuming that he does not get swallowed by the great white shark in the title of this thread, we are then doing a Key West-a-Palooza and we are going to be staying at Old Key West from November 1 - 4 for Food and Wine Festival.

Look! I themed our Fall! :)

I feel like this resort is totally out of the way of everything, but when I looked at the 25% discount offer that they currently have, I was able to book a one bedroom villa (!!!!) at Old Key West for $150.00 less than it would have been to book a standard room at the Contemporary. It was kind of like an offer I could not refuse.

Yeah, so three nights is basically just a tease, but as I told my pals on the Chit Chat thread (and again, why aren't the rest of you having fun there too??) , I'm going to use this as an excuse to demand a new trip for 2017. ;) And since the Philmonster is bound to throw a fit about that, I am going to search out that Bounce Back Offer as soon as I get to the room. :) If you want, I'll post the details/pics of the Key West trip in September prior to the November trip to the World.

Hope you are all having a great summer.

:D

Last edited:

prfctlyximprct

So excited for you!!! You are getting back there finally! :) I will be arriving November 4th so I'll miss you by a day :( can't wait for the festival! This is right up our alley!

So sorry for your loss. I recently had to put down my German shepherd and I miss him more everyday, losing a pet is an indescribable feeling. When you looked into his eyes, you could see more emotion that some people. Okay, let me leave before I get too sappy!

Congrats again!! Disney bound! :)

BuddyThomas

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your nice comments about Spooky. You really made me feel like I was not insane for being so upset about the whole thing ----- even though you already know that I AM insane on other levels. But really, thanks so much.

I have a question for all the pet owners on here, and everyone else, seriously, feel free to skip ahead to the next post (or a few posts ahead) because the below is just lots of cat talk:

When we adopted Spooky from North Shore Animal League, we also adopted his brother, Jett.

As you'll see from some of the below pictures, he's a drunk, like me ;)
drunk cat.JPG

wine cat.JPG

st patricks cats.JPG
easter cats.JPG

The funniest thing about that Easter picture is that if you look closely, you'll notice that we gave each other vitamins and face creams and teeth whitening toothpaste in our baskets. Ahhhh, it's so nice being over 40 and trying to keep everything slapped together like in Death Becomes Her. Can't I just get a simple Reese's Peanut Butter Egg?!?!?! :)

But Spooky.....sob, sob.....

Here is the question. Spooky's brother is now alone.We are trying to figure out if we should go and adopt a new cat or kitten. Does anyone have any experience introducing a new cat into a house where an adult male cat is already established? We don't know when or if this would be acceptable. Jett is a very calm older cat who does not do much except eat and sit in the sun, and sleep. I just don't know if he would see a new cat as an interloper or a new friend. He honestly doesn't even seem to notice that Spooky is gone, and that is freaking both Phil and I out.

Anyone with experience here, I'd appreciate hearing from you. This is all new territory for me. Obviously, we would not do this until we return from the fall vacations. Thanks in advance!

Figgy1

Premium Member
Thanks everyone for your nice comments about Spooky. You really made me feel like I was not insane for being so upset about the whole thing ----- even though you already know that I AM insane on other levels. But really, thanks so much.

I have a question for all the pet owners on here, and everyone else, seriously, feel free to skip ahead to the next post (or a few posts ahead) because the below is just lots of cat talk:

When we adopted Spooky from North Shore Animal League, we also adopted his brother, Jett.

View attachment 158122
View attachment 158123

View attachment 158124 View attachment 158125

The funniest thing about that Easter picture is that if you look closely, you'll notice that we gave each other vitamins and face creams and teeth whitening toothpaste in our baskets. Ahhhh, it's so nice being over 40 and trying to keep everything slapped together like in Death Becomes Her. Can't I just get a simple Reese's Peanut Butter Egg?!?!?! :)

Here is the question. Spooky's brother is now alone.We are trying to figure out if we should go and adopt a new cat or kitten. Does anyone have any experience introducing a new cat into a house where an adult male cat is already established? We don't know when or if this would be acceptable. Jett is a very calm older cat who does not do much except eat and sit in the sun, and sleep. I just don't know if he would see a new cat as an interloper or a new friend. He honestly doesn't even seem to notice that Spooky is gone, and that is freaking both Phil and I out.

Anyone with experience here, I'd appreciate hearing from you. This is all new territory for me. Obviously, we would not do this until we return from the fall vacations. Thanks in advance!
Seeing you already have a cat in residence I think a kitten may be the way to go. I younger pet won't be as territorial and just go with the flow. It may be a pest who wants to play but most likely won't fight for control of the house. IMHO

MinnieM123

Premium Member
As Figgy mentioned above, a kitten might be the way to go. (However, depending upon Jett, he might think a kitten might be pushing him out to the old cats' home. Conversely, Jett might see this as a fun opportunity to "train" the youngun', and not be threatened at all about his new little pal.)

My suggestion is to see what others here might be able to share, but also to go and speak to someone at a shelter (or wherever you'd get another cat), and see what they have to say. Also, in the case of shelters, if you were to bring home a new cat or kitten, and your two cats really weren't getting along, the shelter will let you bring back the cat--so that the animal could be placed in a more comfortable living situation elsewhere.

sheriffwoody

When I was younger, we got a new kitten when we already had an adult cat. They didn't get along that great at first, but after Dudley grew up a bit, they tolerated each other. When my parents moved and I stayed in that house, they took the older cat and I kept Dudley. Both cats were fine separately. I think cats are just super adaptable sometimes, so maybe Jett will be ok either way? Our older cat lived to the ripe old age of 18 even with all those life changes. Dudley is now going on 13.

PacNWTigger

I would go the kitten route as well, and I would get a little girl for Jett. Much less chance of Jett feeling threatened because boys will be boys and somebody needs to be alpha. Don't get me wrong though...there's nothing wrong w/ getting a little boy either. My Zigzag and Gizmo had their intitial spats, but they became buddies pretty quickly.
My boys.JPG
(Not sure why it's upside down... :eek:)

Getting a kitten will also give Jett a chance to show her (or him) the ropes. That worked out very well for me in the past.

Tony the Tigger

No personal experience, but I've heard (with dogs) to have them meet outside (in a neutral space) first - so it isn't a case of one invading the other's territory.

btw I used to donate to North Shore Animal League when I lived up there.

We've thought about getting a second pup to keep Kylie company (she has a sad resting b**** face) but we would have to bring her to the shelter after picking another one out, to make sure they get along first.

TheMouseFan

As a veterinarian, I will add my two cents! They each grieve differently, just like people. So I'm sure he does miss Spooky! He will likely be fine with or without a kitten. I would definitely get a kitten as opposed to an older cat. I would recommend a female, but I'm sure he could adjust to another male. Please do not just throw them together!! The new cat needs to be confined to a small area (a bedroom or other small room with a door) so they can smell each other under the door, but not have direct contact when you are not home. Only expose them to each other for short amounts of time when you are there to supervise. When they appear to be getting along, the new cat can be allowed to roam at large for awhile each day until you feel they can safely be left alone together. Good luck!!

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Oh, @BuddyThomas, I'm so sorry to hear about your baby! :(:(:cry::cry:

Just know that he's in kitty heaven, chasing a mouse, and hopefully not hurling on the brand new carpet (I'm looking at you, Mattie).

But what better way to sooth your hurting soul than a trip to Key West. :)

Just remember, WDW is not clothing optional. ;)

LAKid53

Premium Member
Thank so much - but don't you feel like Old Key West is in the middle of nowhere? I'm not really sold on this yet. There must be some reason why they offered me a crazy low rate for a one bedroom villa. Anyway, it'll be fun. :)

Because it's the first DVC, so a little outdated and spread out. Plus limited dining options - just a small sit down and the quick service is a counter by the pool.

Oh, and no elevators, so I hope your room isn't on the third floor.

LAKid53

Premium Member

View attachment 158122
View attachment 158123

Oh, no, you're not insane for being upset. I still can't talk about our family dog without eyes misting.... he died the week before I was to go home for Thanksgiving in college.... in 1972.....

A friend had to put her dog down last week. We were talking about how we wished our pets lived as long as we do, I was talking about my fat man Tigger, and had to stop because I started crying, in the gym. He died 4 years ago.

No, they will always be a part of us.

Gotta stop, I feel tears....

BuddyThomas

Original Poster
Oh, no, you're not insane for being upset. I still can't talk about our family dog without eyes misting.... he died the week before I was to go home for Thanksgiving in college.... in 1972.....

A friend had to put her dog down last week. We were talking about how we wished our pets lived as long as we do, I was talking about my fat man Tigger, and had to stop because I started crying, in the gym. He died 4 years ago.

No, they will always be a part of us.

Gotta stop, I feel tears....
Oh no! I made the sad pre-trip report!

I feel like all of us on here gave our little guys (and gals) good lives, so maybe we shouldn't feel sad after all. Regret that they are gone, sure. But maybe happy for the life outside a shelter we gave them and the memories they gave us.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Oh no! I made the sad pre-trip report!

I feel like all of us on here gave our little guys (and gals) good lives, so maybe we shouldn't feel sad after all. Regret that they are gone, sure. But maybe happy for the life outside a shelter we gave them and the memories they gave us.

No, no you didn't. You just have followers who are pet lovers, make that CAT people, and we've all been there. Called empathy and moral support. And hugs (or feels, as my daughter would say).

We're just happy that you will have a wonderful trip to Key West and you finally convinced that old curmudgeon to go back to the Magic. Because Buddy's trip reports are Pulitzer worthy.

BuddyThomas

Original Poster
No, no you didn't. You just have followers who are pet lovers, make that CAT people, and we've all been there. Called empathy and moral support. And hugs (or feels, as my daughter would say).

We're just happy that you will have a wonderful trip to Key West and you finally convinced that old curmudgeon to go back to the Magic. Because Buddy's trip reports are Pulitzer worthy.
Blush! Thanks so much!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
No personal experience, but I've heard (with dogs) to have them meet outside (in a neutral space) first - so it isn't a case of one invading the other's territory.

As a veterinarian, I will add my two cents! They each grieve differently, just like people. So I'm sure he does miss Spooky! He will likely be fine with or without a kitten. I would definitely get a kitten as opposed to an older cat. I would recommend a female, but I'm sure he could adjust to another male. Please do not just throw them together!! The new cat needs to be confined to a small area (a bedroom or other small room with a door) so they can smell each other under the door, but not have direct contact when you are not home. Only expose them to each other for short amounts of time when you are there to supervise. When they appear to be getting along, the new cat can be allowed to roam at large for awhile each day until you feel they can safely be left alone together. Good luck!!

I just wanted to say that we have so many WONDERFUL people here on Buddy's thread--caring, considerate, loving, and kind people. It's just really uplifting.

And I'm also referring to others that have joined in the thread--but I had to say something about the most recent, helpful posts. Just struck a (good) nerve with me tonight, that's all.

betty rose

View attachment 158122
View attachment 158123

If Jett is looking lonely, I would think about it. We did this with our dog, when our adult dog got depressed. We brought in a puppy. And our older dog perked right up. It was fun watching the older one playing with the puppy. I would think about a kitten.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom